Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh my god. I'm making the Modernist Cuisine Pommes Puree. These taste like mashed butter. 40% butter by weight. :eyepop:

I did these at Thanksgiving this year. They are incredible. In a strange twist of fate the gravy had nearly no fat (the stock was so gelatinous that is didn't need cream or anything), and was much healthier than the potatoes as a result. Consensus was that while they are the best potatoes ever I can't make them every year because they will kill someone.

My heart started beating fast just thinking about them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh my god. I'm making the Modernist Cuisine Pommes Puree. These taste like mashed butter. 40% butter by weight. :eyepop:

40% butter and 25% heavy cream, jeebus.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Steve Yun posted:

266 degrees? You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Even if you set it to boil, the water in a sous vide would regulate the temp and keep it from going over 212 until all the water evaporates.

I know what the boiling temp is for water, I was more just wondering if what they told me was true about the materials.

eddiewalker posted:

I've made glazed carrots at 180+ in my (taller, skinnier) Party Stacker several times with no warping, plastic smell or any other adverse effects.

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Point was, there's no way you're going to get your setup to a temperature where it will ever make the plastic soft/melty/dangerous.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Casu Marzu posted:

That's not what that means. It's 1 part potatoes to .4 part butter to .25 part cream.

...So it's only 24% butter

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Could've gone for the diastatic malt powder version of MC potatoes, less heart attacks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

deimos posted:

Could've gone for the diastatic malt powder version of MC potatoes, less heart attacks.

I dunno how the other one is, but diastatic potatoes are kind of not fun because they're so liquid, it almost feels like eating a sauce. I think potatoes need some fluff, some vertical height, some solidity!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Hoped to have the SeriousEats glazed carrots for a big family dinner.

Started them in a ziplock at 183F then ran to the in-laws for an hour.

It turned into a 3 hour trip. Came back to a completely shredded bag floating in brown water. Just absolutely shredded. Thermal breakdown of the bag I guess? Would FoodSaver vacuum bags have survived better?

My parents don't understand why I threw them out, but I'd rather waste $3 in carrots that swallow the uncertainty of what's been in that cooler before.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
FWIW I never use ziplocs, only foodsavers and have yet to have a leak. lots of people get by fine with ziplocs though.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think as temperature creeps over 130 or cook time creeps over a few hours I would reach for something more durable than a zipper-lock bag.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also I think I must have messed up the MC mashed potatoes because I made it a while back and didn't think it was really any different than the whipped mashed potatoes I usually serve.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Hed posted:

I think as temperature creeps over 130 or cook time creeps over a few hours I would reach for something more durable than a zipper-lock bag.

I used a store brand (Kroger) heavy-duty freezer bag for 5 hours at 136 a couple weeks ago, no holes or visible breakdown at all, although I definitely wouldn't reuse it.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I used Foodsaver bags for ChefStep's coffee infused butter, they called for 194 degrees, and my bag split at that temperature twice. I'm now wary of any recipe that calls for higher than 180 degrees, and would probably double vacuum if I were to try higher temps again.

Also, cleaning an Anova of butter-water was not fun and I was not happy to have to do it twice in one night. The butter was eventually worth it though (I tried a third time and dropped the temp to 180 and left it in longer, and that held).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Deathwing posted:

I used a store brand (Kroger) heavy-duty freezer bag for 5 hours at 136 a couple weeks ago, no holes or visible breakdown at all, although I definitely wouldn't reuse it.
It's not so much a question of durability, but over long cook times, the motion of the water can gradually work the zipper open.

Double bagging would probably fix this, but last time I lost a rack of ribs I bought a Food Saver.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I can't recommend ziploc bags for high temperatures, but if you're worried about the zipper opening over long cook times I keep saying to use a binder clip and clip it to the rim of your container.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The storebrand zipperbag exploded when I did a test run on the carrots. I did 1.5hrs at 183F in a ziplock branded freezer bag and didn't have an issue at all.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just dropped some nice prime filet mignon steaks in a water bath for a 4 hour cook at 132F. At the same time a sous-vide cooked creme brulee is chilling in the fridge. Going to be a good Christmas dinner.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

~16 hour prime rib at 130f finished on the grill. Unbelievable and makes a killer bag jus.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I found out that my ziplock bag is just large enough to fit a large deboned chicken. Christmas: Saved.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Christmas dinner involved a 3.6 lb (1.6 kg) New York Strip roast. Seasoned, then seared in bacon fat on high on all sides until thoroughly crusted, wrapped 2x in saran wrap, then 2x in foil, and finally double-bagged it. Came out goddamn beautifully at 131*F for 10 hours.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Weird. Set my Anova to heat up to 65C with some eggs. When I came home (three hours later), it was at 73.9C. I didn't think it's even capable of heating up that fast (21C to 74C, about 20 litres). Weird that it didn't stop, though. Analog thermometer confirms actual temperature at 73C.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since I'm still waiting on my Anova Precision due to the 220v delay,is there a specific thickness of meat that you're not supposed to do?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Weird. Set my Anova to heat up to 65C with some eggs. When I came home (three hours later), it was at 73.9C. I didn't think it's even capable of heating up that fast (21C to 74C, about 20 litres). Weird that it didn't stop, though. Analog thermometer confirms actual temperature at 73C.

My Anova is also not accurate to a similar degree.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

That's a level of imprecision I'd start a return on (or at least contact support and see if there's something they can do to fix it). Seriously, I could do better with an arduino hooked up to a hotplate, and I'm not exactly MacGyver.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've also had my controller run away from me. How did I fix it? Turned it off and back on again. If you cook with computers, act like computers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I look forward to updating my IC's firmware like a game console

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

I look forward to updating my IC's firmware like a game console

Just wait until someone hacks your SV machine to give you bubonic plague.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Launch-day DLC to unlock temperatures above 140.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Today I got my new Anova that Straker sent (thanks!) and I did a quick temperature test. It seems accurate enough so far, if not perfect - reads about 0.6 degrees higher than both my old Anova and my thermapen.

Interestingly because it's shorter than the old one, the minimum water line is actually higher than the old one when its clamped to my cambro.

I'll have to think of something interesting to inaugurate it with.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Jose posted:

Since I'm still waiting on my Anova Precision due to the 220v delay,is there a specific thickness of meat that you're not supposed to do?

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html
Baldwin tops out at about 4" depending on shape and temperature. I've pushed that limit with cylinder sorts of shapes, but I don't think I'd want to go much past it. People definitely do more, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Anovas can't hold temp, Sansaires are assembled out of old feathers and bits of twine, and the OG Nomiku keeps on chugging.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Congrats on having to constantly explain to people that it's not a giant green vibrator.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Does having some kind of circulation apparatus really change things much? I'm using a crock pot plugged into a Codlo and it's great so far.

Also, who else pulls the baggie out and goes "oh poo poo it leaked" because of all the juices released into the bag? I have that moment of "oh god drat it" every single time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You're perfectly fine as you are, I had a PID setup for a couple years and it did everything I ever needed it to. I only got the Anova PC because I was able to get in at the $130 price and figured it was a good deal for a second sous vide setup.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 28, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Also keep in mind the OG Anova had no issues to speak of.

E: it also wasn't massively delayed :v:

deimos fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 28, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Steve Yun posted:

Congrats on having to constantly explain to people that it's not a giant green vibrator.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
My brother and I have been messing around with the Sansaire for the past couple days and we couldn't be happier with the results. We've cooked chicken breasts and two different cuts of steak (lean sirloin and 1.5" rib eye) and everything has come out perfectly cooked and tender. I also got a Calphalon searing pan for Christmas, which ended up being a perfect compliment to the sous vide machine and has produced good crust with little to no smoke when used with grapeseed oil. I'm definitely impressed with this method of cooking and look forward to doing a lot of experimenting in the next few weeks. We've already started joking about picking up a second one.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
So I lugged my Anova all the way across the country for the holidays. I've been bragging about how great it is and how it's the best thing ever. I plug it in and it doesn't heat. I guess the heating element is hosed.

Ugh.

I've used it almost daily since August and sure enough when I want to show the family it dies. I filed a replacement with Anova so hopefully they take care of it...

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Got my Anova precision on Friday and immediately used it on some thick sirloin steaks. It worked great. I'm currently doing some chicken breasts, but I have a question. In both cases, it appears as though air has somehow gotten into the bags. It doesn't look like any water has gotten in, and it doesn't look like any of the meat juices have leaked out. Is this just a result of the little remaining post-vacuum air expanding? Also, I'm wondering what you do with the white sludge that comes off the BSCB. Should I just wipe it off with a paper towel? Should I rinse off the chicken breast before using them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Just picked up a couple pounds of some boneless "western style" beef ribs on a whim - are these better treated like ribs, or like chuck roast, in terms of time & temp? I see a recipe for korean-style shortribs on bagsoakeat that sounds good, but not sure how much to adjust for them not being actual ribs.