Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Jay Carney posted:

My old first gen anova broke on me just in time for prime day, should i pick up the 900 watt wifi+bluetooth model on sale now for 129? i think its a decent deal?

Hola sous vide thread. My mom bought this for me as a gift on Prime Day because I had been talking about wanting to get into it for a while now. I made my first meal tonight, chicken breasts with garlic, lemon, and herbs, and it was amazing. Going to make three ribeyes tomorrow and looking forward to it!

I like to make curry a lot, with chicken thighs, does anyone have some good recipes for sous vide curry dishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Has anyone noticed a difference between cooking a boneless steak and a bone in? I bought two boneless steaks for my friend and I and after his wife was able to come, so I go back and bought another but saw it was a bone in ribeye. Tossed all three (separate bags) in the sous vide for an hour. After searing and finishing, we cut into them and the bone in was definitely a little less done than its boneless counterparts. I know when cooking by a traditional method, a bone in steak is taken off early, as the bone absorbs so much heat it continues to cook the meat. My theory is that due to the difference in specific heat, the bone absorbs most of the heat, leading to undercooked meat. This probably doesn't matter if you are cooking for more than like 2 hours, but if you are doing an hour long cook, you either need to up the temperature or cook a half hour longer if ypur steak is with bone.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I don't think its an issue of heat conductance as much as it is specific heat. If it were conductance, the meat would still be cooked, as the bone is typically on the side (assuming a ribeye and not a porterhouse or t-bone).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Jan posted:

:dawkins101:

yeah, okay, I guess I am doing it totally wrong and didn't dry or sear (I did both those things) and should not be posting pics of sous vide steaks in the sous vide megathread.

It just looks like you didn't sear with the highest heat possible on your grill, or your grill doesn't get up to temperature. If you enjoyed it, great! Visual appeal is about as far down the list as it can go for me when judging a meal. If that was as hot as your grill can get try searing on your stove top with a cast iron (if you have one) or just your best heat transferring pan and look at the difference. That char can add some real flavor and if you hold it to less than a minute per side, you won't raise the temp and over cook the steak.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I was reading about sous vide bacon and cooking overnight. My main question is instead of taking the bacon out of its package, and place it in a ziploc and vacuum seal it, can I just toss the already vacuum sealed container in and go from there? For example, this is the bacon I picked up:

The packaging is similar to a freezer bag, so I just want to know if the paper insert or plastic would be bad either health wise or less importantly, taste wise.

edit: I could find no information about the plastic on any of the labeling.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Plinkey posted:

I don't think mushrooms would really benefit from SV.

Yeah, if anything you want to cook mushrooms in an environment where water can evaporate off, otherwise you get really mushy shrooms.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Does anyone have advice for dealing with steaks that people like to different temps?

I prefer my steak at the lower end of medium rare (130°F) but I have some friends and in laws that tend to like medium or more (in some countries in latin america, meat is cooked quarters, so well done would be 4 quarters, med rare would me 1 quarter). So how would be best to cool steaks in that situation. I was thinking of setting the sous vide to like 148 and for the med rare crowd only cooling for 40 minutes instead of an hour. Anyone have some advice?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Elizabethan Error posted:

cheap butane brands tend to have impurities which can effect uses that aren't refilling your lighter. hit up your local headshop and get some that's filtered?

Headshops are a great place to go. Tell them what you want to do and then ask for the stuff people use to hash oil and tell them you are totally not going to make it, its just for our weird cooking methods.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

What I have found with eggs is to drop them in boiling water for like a minute, then an ice bath, then sous vide at the lower temp. This results in a small layer of the white being set, with the rest of the whites and the yolks being runny. This lets you peel it without there being a total mess, but still have runny stuff.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

While not an exact solution for you, I can say that seperating the skin from meat will result in super crispy skin. Just take a couple fingers and insert just under the skin. Work it aroind until you get as much seperated as possible.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I believe swickles is suggesting to loosen the skin, not cook it separately.

Yes, this.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am making a London Broil in the sous vide. Is there any benefit/disadvantage from cooking it with the marinade in the bag versus draining the marinade out?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

In general, every solution I have ever seen about two different temps always involves cooking at the higher temp first, then at the lower one once the first is done.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Pasteurization is a function of time and temperature. There is plenty of evidence demonstrating the safety of cooking at lower temperatures for longish times.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ping pong balls usually have a rough surface, which encourages condensation very quickly, so the water drips back down into the bath. That is the main mechanism of action.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Quite the opposite, actually. If I'm searing with butter and/or ghee I pour the hot oil on top of the steak. Might be a little overkill with a fattier cut, cut with something like a USDA choice strip or sirloin the extra fat really adds to the flavor, IMHO.

Right now my I'm 90% of the way towards having my perfect steak. Seasoning seems like the last step. I'm using salt, pepper, and garlic powder, but something seems to be missing compared to some of the better restaurant steaks I've had. Any suggestions?

Try some fresh herbs like rosemary or sage. I also like to use seasoning salt, which is a non spicy blend of salt, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder and a hint of cayenne. Experiment with those in various ratios if you don't like the store bought stuff.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Is sous vide a good way to heat up a large amount of cold brew coffee? Like any risks health or damage tonthe machine wise?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Has anyone sous vide frozen food before? I took out a roast that I was gonna make in the instant pot, but di so too late and its still rock hard so will make it tomorrow instead. But I have a bunch of vac sealed individual steaks in the freezer that I was thinking I could do for tonight. Has anyone ever thrown a frozen steak straight into the bath before? Did it turn out ok? How much extra long should I cook it for? I was thinking of putting it in at low temp for like and hour, then cooking it at its regular temp for two more? Too little?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ok cool, I was just concerned if it affected the outcome enough that I should ditch that plan altogether. Thanks!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

qutius posted:

You'd likely have better luck buying frozen and keeping frozen until ready to sous vizzle.

Yeah, I just thawed some chicken and cooked it yesterday and it had a funny texture. I don't freeze meat a lot because my freezer isn't huge and I normally stop by the store 2-3 times a week anyways so I just buy it fresh. But this whole coronavirus thing had me stocking my freezer as deep as it could go to avoid any unnecessary trips.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I just got a bunch of meat (steaks, pork shoulder, ribs, chops, etc.) delivered and I plan on vacuum sealing a bunch of it to freeze for later. I plan on cooking a good bit of it by sous vide and I am wondering if there is any drawback to seasoning the meat and then vacuum sealing and freezing it, and then dropping it in the water bath at the appropriate time. I mainly want to know if its ok to have the seasoning on the meat for a couple weeks while frozen. In the past I have thawed the meat, then seasoned it and vac sealed again for the water bath. I just want to know if I can skip that and season before freezing, trying to cut down on the amount of plastic used.

edit: for anyone who has used vacuum sealers, is it ok to reuse bags, or does repeated use in the water degrade it? I am asking only on a temporary basis until the plague is over.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

Barring some sort of intense enzymatic activity (like if you dumped a bunch of meat tenderizer on it or froze it in a block of pineapple juice) your meat is essentially in stasis once it's vacuum sealed and frozen. I've noticed no difference between seasoned meat that was six days old or six months old.
If you're going to season before freezing, make sure you write down what you seasoned it with or at least that it's seasoned, so you don't inadvertently double season.

Bags will eventually start to break down, but how quickly that happens is a function of temperature and time. I don't have any good guidelines, but I'd be much less bothered by reusing a bag I cooked a steak in for two hours than one I cooked ribs in for two days, for example.
From what I've seen bags tend to retain their shape after they've been through the cooking process, so there may be some issues getting it to seal nicely.

It doesn't help with the vacuum sealing process, but you can safely sous vide (I think up to like 190F or something) in Ziplock brand freezer bags. SC Johnson actually put out an announcement about it at one point because of how many people have asked.

Awesome, thanks. If I am not freezing something, or if I am just doing a single steak or chop or whatever, I will use a Ziploc. However, the times being as they are I am trying to minimize deliveries and stretch my supplies of everything as long as possible.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

I have a roll of the long single bag where you just cut off however much you need, and I have reused portions of that several times.

Cool, yeah I use the roll too for freezing, or if its out to just do meal that way. I normally toss it after a single use and was wondering if I could reuse it. I am also terrible at estimating how much I need, so its always like 2-3 inches longer than it needs to me so reusing it would make me feel better.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

If some air gets trapped in the bag and it wont submerge or because its super fatty, I just weigh it down with a set of tongs or some other utensil. Just look for air bubbles to make sure its sealed completely.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I wouldnt even fridge, just pat dry and into the pan.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Unless they are super thick, you only need an hour to get it up to temp. With cuts of steaks like strips, ribeye, you can go too long. Reserve the long baths for tougher cuts of meat.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, almost every recipe (outside of baking) I see usually just says salt to taste.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I either use a stockpot, or for bigger cooks, the 5 gallon orange bucket you get at Home Depot for like 3 bucks. If its a longer cook, I just cover with foil and put a small weight in the center.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Steak is probably the best/easiest thing to learn on. Salt, pepper and add herbs if you like (fresh rosemary is a good one). Seal bag, set temp, toss into the bath for an hour, then sear on the hottest surface you can generate with butter. You will be amazed at when you cut into it and notice the uniform color of the entire inside of the steak.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

AndrewP posted:

what temp do you use for ribeyes?

or how about what temp do you think is best for ribeyes

I do 130 with a hot sear that raises final tmep by 1 to 3 degrees.if I am feeling squirrelly I do 129.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

It’s really not traditional marbling, but rather a fat cap. Tenderness is from breaking down the collagen. Steaks like ribeye may have large chunks of fat and a lot of marbling, but gain no benefit from puddling, and in fact may suffer from stewing in their own juices. Better to go straight to scorching hot grill/pan for cuts like that.

imho, ymmv, omgbbq

Only if you are puddling for hours. If you are doing an hour then a sear its far more beneficial than a traditional cook

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I just got an Anova SV for Christmas and am thinking of venturing into my first attempt with this recipe. I’m looking for something to spoon-feed me every step as I have no idea what I’m doing. The link to the source in the above pasted seems to be down, does someone have a similar recipe that holds my hand?

Thanks in advance! Excited about trying this out.

Steak is like the best thing to start out on. Its simple, a short cook time (one hour), and is a great way to "get to know your machine".

Season your steaks with salt and pepper. Optionally, add fresh herbs like thyme and rosemary and seal in bag. There are a variety of ways to seal it in, you can use a vaccum sealer or a ziploc, loads of videos and guides on sealing are easily googlable. Put in water bath for one hour. Remove meat, pat dry with paper towels, toss onto hottest surface you can generate for a few seconds each side. Enjoy.

As for the penultimate part, a cast iron pan is probably the best/easiest/cheapest option. Get the pan ripping hot, throw in a few pats of butter and/or oil (with a high smoke point otherwise go outside or disable smoke detector, I recommend avocado oil) and sear the poo poo out of each side, maybe 10 to 15 seconds per side. Take the time to do the small sides as well, even if you have to hold it upright with tongs, especially if you are doing a cut like a strip since it has that fatcap on the edge.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Thanks! This helps greatly! I have a vacuum sealer already, so ready to go on that point. Will need to hunt down some good clips that I see people using, though. I imagine that the one-hour recommendation is at the 65 degrees for medium rare?

I hadn't considered searing the small sides too, that's a good catch.

I don't think is exactly what you were suggesting, but I am a big camper in the summertime and hadn't even considered using my SV while camping. Seems like a perfect use case.

The clips are there mainly so that they don't block the intake on the water circulator, you can use anything you can imagine to prevent that from happening. I have used clips, tongs, weights, etc. The only reason for them is to keep the intake clear and to keep the packaging intact if you are using a ziploc.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

More than one steak in a vacuum bag fine?

Yes, the only consideration is if you have them set up so the "cut" is several inches thick. Just make sure the thinnest part of is an inch and a quarter thick. Any wider than thag you need to add an extra 10-15 minutes per quarter inch. I may be off on times, but again, its super easy to google.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

asciidic posted:

And now I have just an unreasonable amount of pulled pork.

I don't understand.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Jhet posted:

It is exactly the reason I bought the Anova with the controls on the device. I've hooked it up to my phone exactly one time and never since that first time I used it. I'm not saying that the Anova is better at keeping water at a specific temp, but it's not going to error out because the wifi died or something stupid.

Its not like those are immune to software failures though, it happens from time to time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I had some ground beef vac sealed in the freezer and pulled it out. Can I just toss it in the bath and cook it whole, then shape it into burgers, or cut it (its roughly cylindrical in shape) and sear it that way, or should I u seal it, for patties and re-seal? I really don't want to do the latter because it requires a lot of digging things out of storage, to the point I will just defrost and cook on stove top if sous videing wont work.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Update: it went better than expected, great even! I sous vide-ed at 140 F for 2 hours. Took it out and set it on a plate for a minute, pat it dry then seared the log on a pan. I got all 4 "sides" and had to either hold or rest against the edge so it wouldn't roll over. Then I took it and sliced off like burger sized slices, seasoned each side then seared each side on the stove again, topping with various cheeses and serving. I think searing the outside before slicing into patties made the difference, because I never felt like it was going to fall apart or lose its shape at all. Final verdict was that they turned out better than those made straight up on the stove top.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Does searing actually seal juices in? I thought that was a myth.

It is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hello, been looking at this for a bit. While I am not a food microbiologist, I am an MD who is also a sous vide enthusiast. When I first got into sous vide cooking I read extensively on the topic in regards to food safety and have a couple things to chime in on, hopefully to clarify things.

First, different foods have different microorganisms to worry about, and many foods have an overlap in things. People often associate salmonella with chicken, E. coli with beef, and trichinella with pork, and that doesn't even go into fish which could be its own separate book (it is!) on the matter. There are some that infect anything, or literally any surface such as Staph aureus which is more from food workers (or you dumbass, wash your hands before you cook!). Its important to know a couple things about this food safety thing, and will avoid like 99.9% of your problems. First, pasteurization (the elimination of bacteria from food) is a function of both temperature and time. This has already been stated in the thread. The "danger zone" of 40 F to 140 F is just a general guideline that covers all organisms. Once you get a few degrees above body temperature, lets says 115 F, no bacteria can live for a significant amount of time, or be able to replicate (not counting organisms that sporulate, so not talking about canning and botulinum). The higher the temp and longer the time, the less bacteria left. People have already posted graphs and charts, and more are available at the FDA site. Also, you are primarily concerned with surface contamination of meat. Unless you get food from a sick animal, the interior is relatively safe. This is why ground meats are such a huge problem, there is no true "exterior". Even if you have some microorganisms left on the surface, its going to be killed on your sear/finish. Even if you have a chunk of meat sitting in tepid water for a while, as long as you run the machine at the appropriate temp for the appropriate time, you will be good. I can't say anything about the taste or off flavors from juices though.

The thing you have to worry about, particularly from S. aureus, are the toxins. Staph produces both a heat labile (destroyed at normal temperatures) and a heat stabile (need to basically char the meat) toxin. You also have to worry about endotoxin from gram negatives (E. coli) which are incredibly stabile at very high temps. Killing the bacteria doesn't matter, so you need to make sure these two baddies don't have a chance to 1. wake up and 2. start up their molecular machinery. Molecular machinery is a term meaning the various enzymes, proteins, organelles, etc are doing their thing and procreating. All of these are incredibly sensitive to temperature, so the warmer you get the faster it goes to a point, then it falls off. So you want to make that time as little as possible. The best possible scenario for avoiding this is to WASH YOUR FILTHY HANDS BEFORE YOU HANDLE FOOD. This is also the main reason I do not sous vide ground beef. If it is infected with E. coli, the contact with pan should denaturate that endotoxin, and the time from inactive to actively making endotoxin to destroyed in stomach is narrowed to like less than 20 minutes, so very little damage is done.

In short, don't leave meat in a puddle of water room temperature-ish water for very long. You can leave meat in the sous vide at serving temperature as long as you like without worry about bacterial proliferation and are limited only by what it does to the texture/taste of the meat, and finally WASH YOUR drat HANDS.