Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I got a joule as a holiday present and am super pumpep to start sous viding -- is it worth it to spend ~40 for a foodsaver, or is it ok to roll with ziplocs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

first trip report:

tried chicken breasts with just some salt, pepper and olive oil at two temps, 149 and 159.

didnt like 149 -- it was extremely juicy, but didn't seem to have enough texture. 159 was great.

the entire taste of the chicken seems diferent -- the seasoning is way more apparent, the breast is extremely juicy, and i almost get a sharp 'chicken stock-y' flavor, which is surprising. big fan so far. need to pick up a steak tomorrow.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

this is a dumb question, but -- when you using ziplock bags, are people sealing the bags? some sites talk about using the water displacement method and THEN sealing the bag, and chef steps seems to leave their bags open and just clipped to the rim of your pot?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

definitely went insane and bought a vacuum sealer (only $50), a cambro and a lid. 3 1" choice strip steaks in the bath!

edit: steaks complete, unbelievably good. wife and mother-in-law thought they were 'too rare' (sad) and finished theirs a little more on the stovetop.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 20, 2017

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Jewish-style sous vide brisket (really just the flat)? Got some requests to try one -- I see a lot of recipes for a 48 hour brisket, but would bagging it with onions/garlic replicate that stewey-taste?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Did some sous vide chocolate Pot de Cremes - amazing and very easy

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

purchased a 6 lb rack of grass fed short rib today for (kill me) $68. ended up splitting the rack in half, and half of the ribs are in the bath right now for the next 72 hours. any thoughts what to do with a bunch of thick, expensive trimmed grass fed beef fat?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I started searing with ghee, it's the tits

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

72 hour short rib report: holy poo poo.

First off, these are obscenely rich and filling.

It has the beefy taste and the moistness of brisket, but the texture (once seared) of steak. It's really unique. I trimmed the meat of the bones and cut it into mini 'steaks' and seared them off, but the meat was so delicious I definitely cleaned the bone like some disgusting animal.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

By 'removed the meat from the bone' I mean 'cut off the meat with no resistance.' I did 60 hours at 133, and then 12 hours at 144.5. I probably could've pulled the bones out. I do wish I had trimmed more fat off before cooking, although it wasn't hard to trim off post-cook.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Does anyone have thoughts on pre-searing very thick (3") bone in steaks? Is it worth a quick pre-sear, or just go in unseared and sear after?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Has anyone tried searing with a baking steel?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

very odd experience last night -- had a piece of london broil, vacuum sealed then frozen, then pulled from the freezer and tossed it into a 24 hour bath. when I checked it last night it was definitely green on the outside. ending up throwing it away, but no idea how it could've been contaminated.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I've done a standing rib roast both sous vide and non sous vide, and preferred the non-sous vide. I don't know if you can get the super hard crust you can get from an oven cook with sous vide.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

132 for 24 hours. my guess would be the issue was caused by not rebagging the meat or thawing it

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Sous vide London broil round two was a success and was great in some tacos

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

i have the chef steps chuck roast in the bath right now -- hurray. the roast itself is not great (some random chuck roast for $5 from Lidl) but after some extensive trimming it should net a good result

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

wait wait, by longer cooks do you mean, like 3 days? I have some garlic in an 18 hour cook right now --- bad idea? I threw in 2 whole cloves

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

136 F - so it’s safe?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

sear in ghee

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

chuck roast, 18 hours at 137, went in with just salt, finished with salt/pepper/garlic powder and seared in ghee

extensively trimmed the original roast and then tied it with twine

pretty incredible. tenderness of prime rib.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

lovely picture of leftovers:

both were cooked at 127f and finished on a charcoal chimney

top is a choice new york strip

bottom is a 28 day dry aged grass fed 'prime equivalent' t bone

it's probably blasphemy, but I definitely preferred the corn-fed strip. I've never loved dry aged beef, and the combination of dry aged and grass feed gave the beef a very odd taste. everyone else loved it though

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

did sous vide corn on the cob tonight and finished on the grill for some quick char - really, really good. ultra juicy, but with a great crunch

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I just stack the jars on the bottom and put a stainless steel lid right on top, they don't move

in general I think people get way too worried about stuff floating/evaporation

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

any recs for tritip? treat it like a steak, or treat it like a roast?

also sous vide'd picanha for the first time. very nice.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I like SVE but some of their conclusions are questionable

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I let my frozen steaks come up to temp in the fridge and then cut the bag open, season and re bag. If you’re ok with unseasoned steak you can puddle frozen

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

that's definitely how a sous vide steak looks, but the idea of eating one without searing it at the end is pretty gross to me. please sear it :)

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

significant moment in my life: I've been cooking sous vide for about 6 months now, and have really focused on perfecting steak (which, admittedly is very easy). last night went out to a very nice restaurant with family, and my wife ordered the steak ($37). after trying it she commented "your steak is a lot better than this", and everyone else at the table tasted and agreed. success.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea I think I'm done ordering steak. I'm also close to being done with short rib.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

charcoal chimney is definitely the best way, but its only probably 10% 'better' than a ripping hot carbon steel pan with ghee.

my normal procedure is debag the steak, pat it SUPER dry, check the temperature on my pan, when it hits 550 - 600 throw in the ghee , start the steak fatcap down for 20 or so seconds, then hit each side for 30 - 45 seconds.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I also think people obsesses over edge edge medium rare far too much.. ive never tasted a difference between true edge to edge vs a slight grey area

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea the difference between mix maxing searing with a chimeny vs just using a pan is a 1mm difference, if that

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Started doing sous vide corn on the cob a few weeks ago, and it's way better than any other method I've done. sometimes finish with a quick sear on the grill, but it's not necessary.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Yea it’s super crisp and adding butter/herbs to the bag really infuses the flavors into the corn. Definitely better than any other technique I’ve done

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Yea I do 187 for 30.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I did a side-by-side. Kenji's but at 186°F vs. [url=https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-corn-on-the-cob-in-the-microwave-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-205204]3 minute microwave corn on the cob[url]. For the microwave, I put it in a glass tupperware so I could simulate being "in a bag" with the butter and herbs, and let it cool covered so the steam and residual heat could potentially achieve the same thing as SV.

Tasting these side-by-side, I'd say the sous vide had moderately better texture but was moderately less sweet. Could be a difference in the individual cob to start with, so next time I'll cut in half so it's a better control. I'd also like to try searing at the end SV vs microwave, and SV + searing vs. grilling in husk.

For now, I'd say great if texture matters more to you than sweetness and you don't mind cleaning your SV gear (+ I clean and re-use ziplock bags so it's a bit of a pain)

Great experiment. Yea for me texture is really important so I think it’s worth it.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

i dont know why you'd sous vide a whole chicken. different parts benefit from different textures.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

fwiw the future of oven/stove technology is probably water-less temperature control akin to sous vide. sous vide is a middle ground until then -- theres already some ovens that have built-in temperature probes and can control heat to maintain a temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

tips for sous viding a whole prime rib?