Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mikey Purp posted:

By a random stroke of luck Kenji posted his sous vide carnitas article the day before I was planning on making some using his traditional "no waste" method, so I gave the sous vide method a whirl instead and we had them for dinner last night.

Verdict: awesome, and probably the easiest carnitas prep I've ever done. No cubing pork, no fiddling with lard, just slice a boneless pork shoulder, vacuum seal it with a stick of cinnamon, some bay leaves, salt and an orange and puddle it at 165 for 18 hours. It shredded perfectly and the texture was noticeably more tender than traditional carnitas, but I was still able to get great crispiness on them under the broiler. I also got about 2-3 cups of very gelatinous pork stock out of the deal, which I'm planning on working into some ramen or something. The one thing I think I will change next time is half the cinnamon. It wasn't overpowering the way it was, but I prefer my carnitas a bit more savory.

Overall, this method is stupid easy and puts out absurdly good carnitas. I probably won't go back to doing them the traditional way any time soon.

Funny, I get a Joule for Christmas and when I find the thread to post my results the first recipe I see is for the exact thing I made!

In my oven, 5 minutes was enough under the broiler, flipping after 3, but ymmv.

I'm hella happy with my Joule! So far, just this and the Chef Steps overnight bacon. Pro-tip: when people say crème brûlée torches are not good for bacon, listen. Just use a frying pan; it's easy enough to clean. Thankfully, I only did a small test piece with the torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, next time I'm "shredding" the carnitas into larger chunks. Would be better that way.

I just made delicious chicken tikka from a whole chicken - it was great! I had to modify the recipe but my modifications worked quite well.

Chicken Tikka Masala and our favorite mint chutney to go with it!

Just do the sheet pan veggies as the recipe intends and follow my notes on how to sous-vidify the chicken.

E: My carnitas were very good. Broiled as close as possible, thought they needed more salt.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 17, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

^^^ magnet lets it stick to a ferrous metal pot when the clip wouldn't work, like with a short pot. If you want to use it with a non-ferromagnetic metal, you could affix a mating magnet below your device, but you're just getting silly now :colbert:

Schpyder posted:

Well, it's certainly not meant to be load-bearing, and having a strong magnet in that proximity to the circulator at the bottom might not be the best idea?

Looking at the iFixit teardown, it looks like the impeller motor is actually waaaay up in the housing, so you're most likely fine doing as you suggested.

Veritek83 posted:

So my first gen Anova died last night about two hours into sous vide carnitas. Happily I realized it was off before the bath dropped significantly and just finished the meat in the oven.

In terms of replacement- anyone have a persuasive case for the Joule over a new Anova? I'm not a huge fan of the idea of using an app to control it, but maybe I'm missing something.

I've only had experience with Joule but it's nice. The app is fine for me, but if my wife ever needs to do it I may need to talk her through it over the phone. So, if you anticipate anyone not-so-tech-savvy using it, perhaps get one with physical controls.

Not sure how important the wattage is, as I connected my Kill-A-Watt and my Joule never got above 600W. Perhaps that's because I didn't crank it up really high, but still I would've thought it'd crank it up at the beginning, but no.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh I'm just theorycrafting for others. I have a plastic tub with a matching lid. Lid has Joule-sized-hole, wrap it all up in a towel. Works fine for me!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Carillon posted:

Sous viding a pork shoulder and the seal on the bag failed, there's water in the bag and has been overnight. Should I toss everything out? Or dump the water out into a pot and reduce it?

The latter imo. I can't think of anything seriously wrong unless the meat bobbed above the water line or a critter got into it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

kirtar posted:

Refrigerators are pretty good at keeping things cold, but bad at making things cold. Ideally the food would get rapidly chilled by immersing the bag in an ice bath to minimize reproduction of any residual bacteria. In terms of reheating, the easiest thing to do is just chuck it back in the water bath for about 45 minutes.

This. Oversimplified food safety rule #1 is the "danger zone": don't let food stay between 40° and 140°F for more than two total hours, consecutive or not. That's why you don't see many SV whole chicken recipes: it takes the interior too long for comfort to reach the safe zone.

You're a bit safer after cooking, of course, since food in a sealed bag that has been cooked should be sanitized to a decent degree, but it's not guaranteed 100% sterilized.

All that said, if it were just me I'd not worry about it. If I were serving at-risk populations, I'd be way more cautious.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dem Bones posted:

According to my infrared, my cast iron gets 500F-hot pretty fast at around 5.5 on my current glass cooktop. Cranked higher it can easily go over 700F quick. Stainless takes way longer. For comparison though, my previous glass cooktop would probably need to be dialed around 8 to get to 500F.

I was always curious - infrared thermometers rely on emission rates, which are different per material, yeah? Not sure I'd trust it on all materials without testing. If your stainless can go in the oven, I'd put both pans in the oven on the same rack for a good long while and then see what the infrared says.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ciaphas posted:

If I'm feeling lazy I can skip finishing step on a steak or whatever after SV and not lose anything but the malliard goodness, right? Still otherwise perfectly good and tasty meat?

:psyduck: please no

You spent money and time already. Go the extra step, please!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ciaphas posted:

I don't really understand SV bacon, it takes so little time on the pan anyway, and it's thin enough that any sear is all the way through, I would think. What's the deal?

Even with not-very-thick bacon, you can still get an interesting texture of crispy-on-one-side rendered-on-the-other. I'd recommend trying it at least once.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If a SV calculator says that your thickness of frozen meat will take more than 2 hours to finish, you will spend too long in the (oversimplified) danger zone.

Well, actually it will be below the danger zone for part of it, but these recommendations always err on the side of caution.

So if your calculator says your frozen fish can finish quick, you're fine.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cocktails, marshmallows, meringues, homemade whoppers/maltesers, some kinds of chex mix/nuts

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Has anybody done burgers? Was it worth it compared to a good grilled burger?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For those who like crispy burgers, my favorite burgers so far: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html

I still want to try SV though, to give it a shot. Does anyone chill before searing to prevent overcooking?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If the air bubble is in an unoccupied part of the bag, sure. If it's actually touching the meat then it'd insulate it from the water, which would add an unknown amount of time until it reaches temperature. For brisket timeframes, you won't have to worry about safety so much as finding a tough spot. I wouldn't worry terribly. For something shorter like fish I'd be wary.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ciaphas posted:

Got me a dedicated deep fryer today, as mentioned off in the general thread. Question before I try it, anyone had success with finishing SV'd whatever (in my case, some crappy steak--chuck I think) in the deep fryer? I know it probably won't match good old cast iron even if it is successful but I'm tired of the smoke alarms.

Probably doesn't generalize to all foods but Kenji at Serious Eats tested burger finishing methods:

quote:

Deep frying is fun and dramatic and will deliver a really crispy crust, but it'll also overcook a thick layer of the exterior of the burger. It's a good method if crispness is what you value most.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

They do, though. A small amount falls down and the flame climbs quickly. Because most of the fuel is in the pot, it appears that's the source.

:ms:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bum The Sad posted:

In a food saver bag, the air is sucked out from inside the bag, causing low air pressure inside the bag. The air outside of the bag is still high pressure, so it squeezes the bag and smushes the bag and food together. If your food creates a seal, there could be trapped air bubbles that stay inside the bag when it gets heat sealed. The cross-hatching pattern acts like straws that the air can escape through when food blocks the way.

A chamber vacuum doesn't need the cross-hatching because the entire chamber gets its air removed. Because the air inside the bag and outside the bag are low pressure, the bag doesn't get smushed into the food, and whatever air was inside the bag can easily escape with the rest of the air inside the chamber. Once it seals and the chamber is repressurized, the bag gets smushed, but it doesn't matter because the air inside the bag has already been removed.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Unrelated but the "Super Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits" on SE were horrible, as the rating and comments suggest. Not a Kenji recipe, but it seems that SE has some QC problems.

Here are mine:

The recipe didn't have enough folding (only 9 layers!), so folding twice more (for 81 layers) helped, but they were still floating in butter. Biscuits should have plenty of butter, but it should stay inside the biscuits.

I've made many delicious SE recipes, and this is the only one that has just fallen flat, literally.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's really cool. I'll probably wait until the "family sized" version is out, since most of what I've done has been larger than that looks.

Unrelated: has anyone ever done this egg yolk sauce? http://www.cooksscience.com/recipes/9047-runny-yolk-sauce/

It looks amazing. We just did fried rice with a fried egg on top last night, but we didn't pack fried egg with lunch leftovers because :effort:. I'd like to try the yolk sauce, and knowing me I'd push their "shelf life: 1 week" to more like a month. Also, I'd probably do it with just 2 or 4 yolks the first time, in case it's a flop.

Also, you can pasteurize eggs without "cooking" them. Just for funsies I'd probably try pasteurizing the whites from above and see if they foam up in cocktails the same.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So I just cooked collards and ham hock in a stew pot. The hock had a pitiful amount of meat at the end, unfortunately. It was all fat, and the fat didn't really melt into the water. What's a good temperature to render the fat so I can at least stir that in?

Basically, I'm trying to puddle just skin and fat.

For a normal (with meat) ham hock, Anovaculinary.com says 145 for 72 hours. Sousvidetools.com says 167 for 10-12 hours.

For rendering fat, I found a Chefsteps forum post that says 190 for 30 minutes, blended/ground up with baking soda. Reddit says 185 for 8 to 10 hours, but that's for beef.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 2, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm in the "flip only once" camp, but I'll try the 15 seconds. I always thought you need to wait for the crust to form for the pan to release the meat, or else if you try to flip too soon you'll just leave crust stuck to the pan.

I've never had problems with overcooking when searing my way, but it never hurts to mess with a good thing :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

First time poaching eggs in the shell. I went for jammy yolks. Texture of the white and of the yolk were both excellent, but the white just slid off the yolk.

I did the chefsteps 147°F for 90 minutes. Does cooking that long mean jammy yolk but disconnected whites? Could it be my 1 week old eggs?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

rockcity posted:

That's about right for that temp. I only go about 50 minutes with mine though. A very quick boil before putting it in the puddle can help set up the whites a touch more.

Thought about doing this, especially since I had boiling water for blanching the greens. I wanted to give the recipe-as-is a shot, though.

Chefsteps has the same description for the texture of the white at 60 minutes and 90 minutes but the yolk goes from runny to jammy. Ended up amazing but messy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kalista posted:

I really honestly don't get the appeal of poached eggs in sous vide. Maybe I'm just especially lucky when I make poached eggs the normal way on the stovetop, but in 4 minutes I have delicious poached eggs that come out exactly the way I like them and I don't have to wait 40-90 minutes and then try to still water bath a slippery white/yolk situation.

I can see the convenience for cooking/holding at temp/storing and reheating for large numbers of people, but in general it's just too much time/effort for something so simple to do the usual way.

The chefsteps/Joule recipe says to do them in the shell. That was the appeal to me! I can much more easily see transporting leftovers to work and having an intact yolk when I arrive.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Random thought. Lots of veggie burgers use eggs to bind them, right? Would those benefit from puddling before finishing in a pan? I've had horrible luck with black bean burgers crumbling and it may be because the eggs don't have time to set.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

snyprmag posted:

I've been wanting to try the Chef Steps black bean or mushroom burgs but I don't have the weird binding agent they use or know if the big roll will fit in the pot I use as a bath.

Neat. Never knew there was an alternative to transglutaminase as far as chemical food glue went.

Hopper posted:

That recipe uses MSG though. I don't believe the "MSG = cancerous evil", but what I do believe is if you need MSG to make your food taste good, you either need to rethink your recipe or use better ingredients.

:psyduck:

anothergod posted:

My veggie burgers are portabella mushrooms.

Seriously, though, even if it did work I can't imagine circulating would really be worth the time investment. Use an oven and cook the thing gently. Or pack your veggie burgers better. Or cut the temp on your pan to medium or mid low and let them cook longer. Or buy a reputable premade veggie patty. Or start eating meat.

Eh I used to be vegetarian and I still enjoy non-meat burgers for the taste. Saying you should buy a reputable premade veggie patty doesn't make sense to me, though. Even my worst black bean/chickpea/nut+rice patty at home is better than anything I've had in the store, and I'm posting itt so you know the extra effort isn't a deterrent for me.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

On the one hand, molecules don't have memories. Their effects depend purely on their composition.

That said, fear of chemical food additives does have one theoretically rational basis: chemical plants can make mistakes or take shortcuts, and a lot of the time the lowest bidder gets the contract.

That's why I'm glad we have food safety standards.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Someone somewhere said pasteurizing your flour in the microwave works. SV is way too slow to be practical.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I love puddling in the bag with the marinade. Beautiful color. Chill, drain, pat dry, reduce marinade to make pan sauce. Pat dry and sear in cast iron. Turn Korean chicken into banh mi with gochujang mayo and sweet sour cucumbers.

Korea meets Vietnam and it's delicious.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Some kind of protein, mayo, hoisin, cilantro

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Phanatic posted:

What's the marinade?

1 cup soy sauce, 2 smashed garlic cloves, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar. Don't remember the exact quantities of the latter two ingredients because I returned the cookbook to the library! We decided after 3 weeks of trying it out that it's worth buying, so we'll order it online and I'll tell you when it arrives.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I think I want to SV 60 salmon filets for my brother's wedding help

(help convince me not to)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ugh well it's in Juneau AK so the catering companies are very limited and SV makes everything child's play rite :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For funsies, I did burgers 4oz sous vide 130°F for 45 min, finished on screaming hot stainless pan on my grill side burner. I then did 2x 2oz patties ultra-smashed on the same pan.

They were each good separately. I served the SV one to a friend who prefers juiciness, and I at the smashed because I prefer crispiness. Next time I'm putting them all on the same bun for extra complicated deliciousness :getin:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Joule being app only has only been inconvenient for me once, and I just had to plan around it. Being small and powerful has been nice every time.

By the time Chefsteps goes out of business / the app loses support, there will be better tech anyhow so decide for yourself whether to plan for 5-10 years off when it's a $100 decision.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Has anyone used SV to "vape" alcohol? The "vaportini" seemed like a fun party toy, and some sources say the target temperature of that device is around 140°F.

I just tried it with Whiskey, and it seemed okay, if ineffectual. 1.5 oz in a Ball jar puddled at 145°F for 15 minutes. Crack the lid and inhale, then quickly replace the cap. Took (and held in for a few seconds each) about 15 breaths in a row, then another ~20 over 20 minutes of doing dinner dishes before it stopped "tasting" alcoholic.

My impressions:

• Claim: gets you drunk faster since it absorbs directly into blood vessels. Verdict: not even close, for my dosage. I wouldn't expect full drunk after 1.5 oz, but I didn't really feel any effects at all, and I normally get dancy-singy after 1 drink.
  • Claim: less harsh tasting. Verdict: yes, as long as you inhale through your mouth and not your nose!
  • Claim: almost no calories! Verdict: Not so fast. Definitely fewer than mixed drinks, beer or wine, since this doesn't deliver carbs. But alcohol in the blood can be metabolized by cells, so it carries calories. this article says you'll save some calories compared to a liquid shot, but it doesn't give figures.

Bottom line: give it a try as a party trick or if you want to spice up your weekday alcoholism. Please chime in if you've ever done this, especially if you went beyond 1.5 oz or were able to feel a buzz. Anyone try it in the microwave?

Do not, as one article suggested, expect the non-vaped liquid to taste like a slightly bland, slightly sweet version of what you vaped if your liquor was barrel aged. Tannins remain behind and thus are concentrated and taste like poo poo.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Once I get the method perfected I will gain access to Gotham Police Department's HVAC and I'll show you. I'll show you all!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Norns posted:

Stop telling people to not sous vide in the sous vide thread holy poo poo guys

Time to resume my alcohol vaping experiments :getin:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Feenix posted:

For what it's worth they were the best scallops I'd ever made and some if the best I've ever had from anywhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Low temperature, slow, takes longer than necessary

This derail is best done sous vide style :discourse: