Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Feenix posted:

Top sirloin with a nice butter sear and a dollop of butter-basil-parsley-garlic-smoked Blue Cheese. (And baked garlic shrimp)

This was the main part of my 5 course dinner I hosted tonight (forgive the lovely plating)

The previously-mentioned Pinot Noir Chocolate pots de creme...

This was fantastically easy with the Anova.

Is that desert made sous vide? Do you have the recipe? Or am I just being ridiculous? I've seen some desert recipes around and always had my doubts about cooking them that way but am still curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Feenix posted:

The dessert was and it loving ruled!

Let me seek it out for you... but in s nutshell it was:

Make a Pinot Noir syrup on the stovetop, let cool, dump it, egg yolks, semi sweet chocolate, dark unsweetened chocolate, milk, cream, salt into blender. Blend well.

Sous Vide for like 45 min in a gallon ziplock,

Re-blend to soften/aerate. Put in ramekins, minimum 4 hours.

Personal note: let them sit out for an hour or so before serving to soften just a touch.

[Ed]
https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-chocolate-pots-de-creme

Hero, thank you.

So a few people have been talking pork the last few pages as a big one for sous vide. What cut of pork? Pork cutlets? Butterfly pork steak? What is the best cut to sous vide and also a good seasoning? Just salt and pepper? Honey and mustard? I want some juicy pork mmmm

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
We bought some lobster tails that we are looking forward to sous vide - ing! Most recipes are basically "shitload of butter and some tarragon also" what other recipes or hints and tips does anyone have?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Ok guys, I have an 850g beef eye fillet roll /roast (I think Americans would call it a beef tenderloin centre cut roll?) and some liquid sm9e and I want to soups vide it. I've seen some that say season, sear then 2 hours, then sear again does this sound right? Any good recipes for spice rubs to give it a nice bbq flavour or just season and let the beef flavour come there

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So we just picked up a vacuum sealer on sale. What are everyone’s tips? Also if we season then souls vide a steak for example could you fridge for the next day and just take it out, let it warm a bit then sear it? Or is this not recommended?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
How safe is sous vide food for pregnant women? My wife is expecting. Obviously we know the usual things like soft cheese, cured meats etc. things like rare steaks are also mentioned.

Also I heard someone say you could “safely” poach eggs in it, I know my wife is missing poached eggs and I’m wondering if this is right?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey so I’ve got a recipe for chicken teriyaki from the Anova app, which is really good, basically just soy sauce, sake, etc and then put it on a skillet with corn flour to thicken the sauce up.

I was wondering what is the implication of vacuum sealing the chicken with the soy sauce and sake etc mix and freezing it and then take it out later to cook so it’s prepared? Or would the sauce affect the chicken too much in the freezer?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Sentient Data posted:

Whatever I cooked teriyaki, I added it near the end of the cooking process. I mixed it with the meat in the pan near the end, and considered the dish done just as the sauce started to caramelize

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/139027/teriyaki-sauce-and-marinade/ is the one I go with, the only slightly hard part is finding the mirin if there aren't asian grocers in your area

Oh we live in Melbourne Australia so no issues there!! Thanks!!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I got a breville smoke gun for Christmas and did hickory smoked thick cut steaks rare with the Anova. Amazing. Next time I’ll do it longer to get a smokier taste though the recommended 5 minutes I feel wasn’t enough. Or maybe I smoke it then bath it rather than the other way round.

Anyone done anything with a smoking gun and sous vide it too? Or just the smoking gun? (I’m not game to go into a smoking bbq thread for fear of being laughed out of town)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’ve got a 500 gram rib eye bone in steak I want to soups vide for my wife and I. Medium rare, closer to rare if anything. I’ve got some smoked garlic butter as well, should I just chuck some butter with it, season, and what’s a good temp for this? I’ve never sous vide’d a steak that big or with the bone in. I’m more inclined to do it lower and longer.