Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Got my Anova Precision Cooker today and started some 72-hour short ribs. Seems insane to cook something for that long. I have no idea what I'm in for, but I'm looking forward to dinner Sunday. I was out of smoked paprika so I used a little tiny bit ancho powder. Hope that doesn't screw it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

overdesigned posted:

The precision/easy dish is perfectly gooey soft-boiled eggs for my morning toast, every single time.

How does this work, practicality-wise? Do you have to spend half an hour heating eggs every morning?

I think it would be cool to be able to throw them in the night before but from what I read, that's not how it works.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

overdesigned posted:

I put them in the night before with the machine plugged in but not running, and then when I wake up in the morning I push "go" on the Anova app on my phone. By the time I drag my rear end out of bed my eggs are ready.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the app and the fact that you can store uncooked eggs at room temp.

That's awesome.

I've been thinking of throwing ice in the bath with a steak in the AM and programming it to heat to freezing until ~2h before I want to eat dinner, then heat to cook temp.

You could probably do the same at night and never even have to Hit Go, as long as you know what time you're going to eat.

This is all pretty cool. Thanks for the tip.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Jose posted:

Any advice for a sous vide gammon joint? Most recipes come with US terms for things and I don't know how this is sold in the US

Do you buy that pre-cooked or raw? If it's raw I think we call that "fresh bone-in ham" in the US but I'm not totally sure.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I wanted to see if I could make some steaks of a chuck roast. I cut nine thin "steaks" out of a bottom round roast I purchased for about $25.

I froze the steaks, and some blobs of worcestershire + butter, then bagged and vac'd the steaks in pairs, each with a butter-worcester blob

I tried cooking a pair at 134 F for about 2 hours. They came out chewy, but edible sliced thin. No juice. Flavorless.

Then I tried a pair at 150 F for 48 hours and they came out sort of dry but flaky and tender, and more flavorful. Plenty of juice for a gravy, which helped a lot. It pretty much tasted like pot roast. Good, but not worth 48 hours unless you're getting more than a couple servings out of it. A whole roast would probably be good this way.

E: I guess my conclusion is that chuck will never be steak. Unless some goon knows better.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I knew I'd get some helpful feedback! Alright, looking forward to redoing it low & slow.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
My girlfriend's parents have decided to throw her a surprise bday party at my house. They brought a cured spiral sliced ham. The instructions say to cook for 2-3 hours at 275 f.

I would like to try sous vide on this thing because spiral sliced ham is stupid and dries out like crazy in an oven. I've got it in a bath at 160 right now.

Will it heat through as fast as it would in the oven? Any recommendations?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Alright thanks. Moving to the oven!

E: I was moving it to the oven when I had a change of heart. I continued the sous vide cook for about two hours, then busted it open, glazed it, preheated the oven to 400, tossed it in, and turned the heat down to 200.
It came out fine. It was pretty big but it heated through very quickly in the bath. My guess is the spiral slice allowed the brine in the bag to carry heat to the bone throughout rapidly. I cooked it in its packaging from the store. I'm not a ham fan but I got a lot of compliments on it. It was definitely not dry.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 29, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

c0ldfuse posted:

For thick cut lamb chops--any reason I should use sous vide vs traditional sear and into oven for a couple min for hitting doneness?

Perfectly even doneness and exceptionally forgiving cook timing?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

StarkRavingMad posted:

Following on this, I busted my Sansaire last night (nothing to do with its build quality, was just something dumb that I did). I haven't really been following all the new ones that came out, if I'm buying a replacement is there a reason to go Anova over Sansaire or are there any other better options?

I only recently bought my Anova and I like it a lot. For me the deciding factor was the pot-clip bracket thing. Other than that I didn't see a significant difference in my little bit of research.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I bought a big-rear end flatiron steak I'd like to use for fajitas if nobody here has a better suggestion.

I'm just going to assume kenji's 10 h recipe is the best, but I wanted to ask for ideas, so here I am.

I guess I would have expected to cook this steak for longer, and I don't really understand why I should not. Keep it from flaking away, or is there something else?

I also don't understand why not to cook fresh herbs or garlic for long periods. Somebody set me straight please.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

No Wave posted:

What's Kenji's 10 hour steak recipe?

Flat iron is a tender cut. There's no reason to vizzle it for more than an hour.

I'm having trouble finding it again. He sure has done a shitload of sous vide steak blog posts. One of them had a table with a bunch of different cuts, and it said to do a flatiron between 4-10 h at 131 F, I believe. I figure the high end of the time range is usually better, because patience is a virtue or something.

Casu Marzu posted:

Fresh herbs get hot spots on the meat during long cook times. So parts of the meat will taste overwhelmingly like garlic or rosemary or whatever.

Oh alright, that makes sense. Someone on a previous page of this thread told someone of cooking some fresh herb with their meat that they "should be fine at 155 for 48 hours" and it was in among botulism-chat, so I thought maybe greens had germs with a different pasteurization curve or something.

Also, I tried doing salmon, and I give that a mild yuck. I think I prefer the varied texture/doneness that comes with other heating methods. This is the wrong thread for it, but Cooks Illustrated did a recipe for fish delicately braised on shredded leeks and wine. It looks good. I can't wait to try it.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
^ I would be interested to hear some answers to that as well.

I tried the magical 144 degree poached eggs tonight. Wow, they were really delicate. The paper towel I used for draining them ripped most of them open when I was trying to plate. I guess you're supposed to serve them wet. Or I didn't finish them long enough.

I've never had a problem preparing normal poached eggs, and since you have to use all the same equipment and it takes a lot longer to do the sous vide version, I think I'll stick to the old school way. The sous vide ones that survive the process are pretty and all, but not close to worth the extra 45 mins IMO.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ShadowCatboy posted:

Did you crack them open and dunk them in a vortex of boiling water for a minute to firm up the white after puddling?

The vortex thing is sort of BS in my opinion, but yes I did finish them each for approx one minute in sub-simmering water. The outsides solidified a bit but the whites still tore extremely easily, even after an ice bath. . Maybe I should have done them a little longer.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

mindphlux posted:

at least they know how to admit a mistake.

I don't know, they lost me at

a bad cooking website posted:

microwaves are complicated contraptions. (In fact, we are currently working on new content to help demystify how they work;

Seems like they're calling their readers idiots and they removed the recipe because they didn't want to be liable for a house fire.

I'd never heard of this site before a couple weeks ago but I'd already started avoiding it because half their poo poo doesn't make any sense, and all of it is tucked behind awful interstitial ads for their mailing list.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Anybody ever try doing a chicken tartare? What's that like?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

AndrewP posted:

I just bought a Dorkfood temp controller and am gonna try some sous vide steaks tonight!

I have a smallish crock pot and my question - as long as the steaks actually fit into the crock and water covers them, does it matter how big the crock actually is / how much water is used?

More water has more heat capacitance. If you drop a cold steak into a smaller bath it will probably take longer to come back up to temp. If your crock is small and there's no circulation the steaks nearer the element might get more done than the ones farther from the element, as the water around them will get to a hotter temp than the bath mean or wherever your thermostat is.

It probably doesn't matter unless you're pushing it to the absurd.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

BobTheDestroyer posted:

The anova ap has been released for Android in beta form Play Store Link.

Haven't tried it out yet but it does come with a heap of recipes

Yikes. I like how every recipe has "sous vide" in the title. No poo poo.

I haven't used the app with the device yet but I'm not very impressed with the recipes uh, menu-list? Thing? No surprise some 80 year old weirdo from Missouri would post a recipe for "seared ahi tuna." I assume you set the water for room temp.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I like the part where they say 'unlike other tools, that force you to learn new skills...'

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cool, I bought that Anova. The shopping cart didn't work in Chrome but worked fine in Safari.

So now I need a vacuum sealer. What's the practical difference between the 2244 and the 3240 Food Savers?

(Those were just the top 2 on Amazon)

The tall food savers store a small roll of plastic in the top.

Other differences to consider between models are whether they have a 'moist mode' and whether you want the peripheral hose that can vacuum the resealable bags and different canisters that are available.

Apparently the bigger models may be more powerful but this is apparently a negligible difference.

I bought the biggest fanciest foodsaver and wound up wishing I'd just got the small cheap one. The roll storage isn't large enough to contain the big non-branded rolls you should buy from eBay, moist mode doesn't really work, I don't use the peripherals, the power difference doesn't matter, and the big one is loving huge and hard to store.

E: also, always check slickdeals for foodsaver stuff. There's usually a deal somewhere. http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=Food+saver&searchin=first

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 6, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Household metal foils will not really reflect wavelengths of thermal energy at temperatures that water will reach in your kitchen, so use plastic wrap or some other inexpensive thing that doesn't absorb water. If anything. Styrofoam or whatever if your concerned about insulation. Just make it cheap.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

SubG posted:

Actually aluminium foil has really good reflectance that part of the IR spectrum.

I guess I will have to apologize to my girlfriend for making fun of her having bought aluminum reflectors to go behind our wall radiators.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I heard you wanted a hotdog
I don't cook hotdogs
But if I did I would sous-vide 'em
Put 'em on a plate and hold 'em out so you could see 'em
and flush 'em down the crapper like an Oscar Mayer BM

I'm the Expert Chef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHOUQM97QyA

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not really. They sent me a fedex label to get an exchange.

Those bastards

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Choadmaster posted:

Eh, if your meat has no structural integrity you may as well be eating tofu, IMO. It's very possible to get too tender. I made the mistake of ordering some ribs from a new restaurant a couple nights ago and they were so soft I didn't even bother finishing them. Do people really like eating mush sticks?

Yes.

Almost every non-rib-dedicated restaurant i've ever visited that serves ribs serves them as mush-on-bone. People think it's great, maybe because it's what they expect.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Since I don't have a chamber vac and I like using soy sauce in marinades, I bought some powdered soy sauce. Anybody ever use this stuff? If so, any advice?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

uPen posted:

I just freeze marinades I want to vac seal.

I tried to freeze some soy sauce but I guess it's too salty.

Did some 24 hour spareribs at 138F. Threw under the broiler to brown.

Texture of the meat was great except none of the fat rendered. It was soft enough to eat through but still sort of gross/alien.

Also, I used preseasoned stuff. Half rack each of Applewood and Cherrywood Chipotle, Kroger brand. Flavor-wise, the ribs were like bone-in hot dogs. I assume they were nitrate-packed.

Will definitely try again with regular ribs from the butcher at a higher temp. Saw another recipe for 48h 148. I think I'll try 24 h at 148.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll try again next week

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Steve Yun posted:

Did you season or marinate beforehand? How much?

I used pre-seasoned packages. The flavor was pretty awful. It really tasted like hot dogs. I'll do my own seasoning next time for sure.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
gently caress chefsteps

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Protip: don't bother cooking flank cut short ribs sous vide

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

What the hell did I do wrong?

Catfish can be a very fishy fish.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
MMMM, YUMMY!

Some chicken breast from which I made some actually really good chicken salad I've been eating all week for lunch.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Cultural Imperial posted:

How did you finished that breast off?

Small diced, mixed into chicken salad. Didn't matter if it was ugly since it was going to be mayo'd and sandwiched.

To be honest, I don't know how I would finish BSCB. I imagine with grill marks it would still look comically bad.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

Torching helps. So does trimming the seam. Then cut into medallions before saucing.

It would be pretty funny to serve it straight-from-the-bag to guests.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Jose posted:

When i sous vide whole eggs I take it the white that I lose is what would probably be lost into a pan of water anyway?

Yes. That's the 'loose white.' By the way, fresher eggs have more tight white and less loose white, which makes egg-age a a somewhat important factor when poaching.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Barring experimentation with vegetables, I think I've decided that sous vide cooking for me shall be a technique reserved only for steak. Everything else I've tried with it has come out, at best, inducing a sort of uncanny-valley-style discomfort in its unpleasantly consistent... uh, consistency. I'm thinking salmon filets with seams and treadmarks. And at worst, it can produce things mysteriously and robotically weird and awful, I.E. burgers with the texture of a chef boyardee meatball beneath the thinnest veneer of a sear.

The steaks, though. Goddamn. No other cooking method comes close, in my opinion.

Cooking things sous vide is bad, lazy, and soulless, except in the one application where it transcends any possible expectation and produces steaks so good they're individually unforgettable.

e: also, eggs were a bigger pain in the rear end sous-vide-in-shell than any other possible way of cooking them. It was definitely interesting and fun to try though.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

G-Prime posted:

Eggs in shell are super easy. Bundle them in a bit of cheesecloth and clip it to the side of your container. Done. The best thing other than steak, though, is chicken breast. It's SO EASY to make a perfect, juicy chicken breast this way.

I was thinking poaching in-shell was a huge PITA relative to the results. I have no problem poaching normally, though. And yeah chicken breast is alright but I kind of miss the character of the unevenly, imperfectly cooked breast. A lot of stuff I've made sous vide has turned out perfect but tastes 'institutional' like something you'd get at a high-end hospital or something. I find that it's difficult to impart character into anything, even with a broiler or a torch or a smoking-hot steel pan.

Just my toot scents. I'll keep experimenting, because it's fun, but I have come to think of this method as a novelty for the most part.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

AnonSpore posted:

I don't know if "My perfectly cooked food is cooked too perfectly" is a valid complaint

The most strikingly dreadful "too perfect" thing I had was salmon. It wasn't until I was eating that, that I realized I enjoy the variation in texture that comes with baking or frying it. The textural contrast is nice, and when it's not there, I miss it. I feel like it's a waste to cook a nice fresh filet sous vide when you can get the same effect in any cheap can of salmon.

So maybe instead of "too perfect" I should have said "lack of contrast." But I understand your disagreement. I just feel like a lot of dishes come out more interesting, mostly due to textural variance, when traditionally cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

hogmartin posted:

I'm gonna read all 119 pages, I swear, but the OP and Kenji's circulator triple-test are about two and a half years old so could someone briefly bring me up to speed:

- Has the market shaken out at all? Are there two or three immersion circulators that have stood above the others? What do people like/dislike about them?
- Is something like https://www.adafruit.com/product/1401 a viable option for someone who has been known to bite a wire now and then, or is a commercial immersion circulator just going to be less hassle (in use, not in construction)?
- Why on earth do I care about Bluetooth or wifi on something that maintains a precise temperature for several hours?

The various anova models seem popular and anova appears to provide good support. I wouldn't build my own just because commercial options are cheap enough these days. If you don't think you'd care about BT/wifi then you probably won't! It would be nice if anova made a base model for like $100 that doesn't have that stupid poo poo built in.