Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is just for my own personal gratification, but if I had one (waiting for a Sansaire), I would be making eggs for brunch every weekend. Take photos if you do :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
"Eggs Benedict but with salmon instead of pork" is eggs royale, if that helps your googling.

My favorite is eggs royale florentine :getin:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Not gonna lie, I would probably eat wet corned beef. It was traditionally made by simmering/boiling in open water anyway. Or was there a contaminant?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Never mind then, sorry! That sounds awful.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

MasterFugu posted:

perhaps you should do research yourself instead of going DURR MOLTEN PLASTIC BAD

http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/03/is-it-safe-cook-plastic/
(^third result for 'are ziploc bags safe for sous vide cooking' in google)
He's not using ziplocs, he's using the bags you buy bread in, tied in a knot. They're a different, thinner kind of plastic (which is why he likes them). Bread bags aren't rated microwave safe as far as I know, because that's not a normal application. It at least seems worth asking.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

MasterFugu posted:

except he's not microwaving them :???:
and geetee could have googled a few words to educate themselves about plastic safety. oh the road not taken.
From your link, dude:

quote:

An easy way to spot the difference [between safe and unsafe types of plastic] is to check that your cling wraps or plastic bags are rated microwave-safe.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can also do it in the can in a crock pot. No worries about boiling or the pot going dry.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I would hold off at least until Black Friday. The Anova One was just $140 at Amazon, and I bet it will go even lower in pre-Christmas sales.

The Dorkfood controller at $100 also looks straightforward, but still requires a crockpot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
This is 100% nuts, but in knitting, there's such a thing as blocking wires. They're long and thin, and flexible enough that you could weave them in and out of the edge of chicken skin, then trap the ends by poking them through squares of a cooling rack.

If anyone actually does this, you owe me half the skin.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

deimos posted:

Err. Because I have been doing it forever and it's common sense? It was a natural step after doing creme brulé and ice cream.

Also: http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/12/the-strange-effects-of-tempering-chocolate-with-a-sous-vide-machine/
How do you do crème brûlée and ice cream? The recipes I've seen all call for using sous vide just for the bain-marie. I'm hoping to avoid the stove altogether and make my custard right in the puddle (well, in a ziploc).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I actually asked for recipes/experiences of the second option on the last page. If it works, it's much more convenient, obviously. The first way is the normal/traditional way to do it, just using the puddle as a bain-marie (instead of putting the whole setup in the oven).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh my god. I'm making the Modernist Cuisine Pommes Puree. These taste like mashed butter. 40% butter by weight. :eyepop:

That's not what that means. It's 1 part potatoes to .4 part butter to .25 part cream.

...So it's only 24% butter

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The thing to remember is sous vide is only getting more popular and prices are only going down. I've used a friend's a couple times, but I'm not getting one of my own until it passes the $100 price point. I can justify a $95 (or whatever) gadget much more readily than a $170 one.

In the meantime, for perfect eggs that you can control almost as precisely, do the ATK steaming thing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Not sous-vide, but I've had a lot of success making precise eggs using ATK's steaming method. Depends on the cook you want, but it's about 7 minutes total time for medium.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Beautiful, I've been waiting for it to drop under $100 to pull the trigger. Thanks!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Cambros are what a lot of people use because it looks just like the real chefs!!! If you want to minmax, a plastic cooler seems like the best option.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I haven't but I absolutely would. I did use mine to pasteurize eggs so my wife could safely eat cookie dough when she was pregnant.
Holy poo poo I see my future stretching out before me and it is a beautiful road of cookie dough

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Or, you know, you could just buy pasteurized eggs.
Planning ahead, going to a grocery store, and paying more feels like more effort than dropping normal eggs in the bath for 90 minutes. Don't judge me bro :effort:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Are you missing the posts right above you that say just to use ziplocs?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Gonna cook my first big roast tomorrow! It's a boneless pork loin (not tenderloin) about 6" across and 3" up and down. Is this cylinder-like enough for Baldwin tables? I'm thinking 6 hours at 134° F, then searing chops individually for maximum crust. I do want it to be safe, especially since I'm cooking for other people. Thoughts or ideas?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I personally would rather make something else for dinner than eat raw meat that hung out in the middle of the danger zone for unknown hours.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sur la Table definitely sells the big water oven types, if cost is no issue. They maaaaay also have had some of the wand type in-store, but I would call to check.

Your safest bet would be to order what you want on Amazon, have it one-day shipped to an Amazon Locker where you're going, and pick it up when you get there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
This is probably a really dumb question, but why can't you bring a few chunks of firewood inside and put them in your oven?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My Anova seems to pull a lot of power (even to maintain temp). It's on the same circuit as my kitchen lights, and they dim and brighten in pulses with the Anova whenever it's on. Pretty sure that shouldn't be happening? The kitchen wiring is old, but that's never happened with any combination of appliances before. It's in a GFCI outlet if that makes a difference, but it's never tripped that or flipped a breaker. Anyone else notice power fluctuations like that?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sorry I think I tricked you into thinking I knew electrical things. I do not! I guess I probably mean they're all on the same breaker?

The GFCI buttons work, but I haven't actually tested it with water. The lights include both LEDs and incandescents. Neither ever flicker or dim otherwise.

Things that work fine on the same breaker: fridge, kitchen lights, hall lights, bathroom lights, kitchen outlets including microwave and grow lights and sometimes a hand mixer or something, bathroom outlet including electric toothbrush. All of those are fine all at once, without the Anova. The Anova causes the pulsing even if everything is off except the fridge. (Haven't tried unplugging the fridge.)

I rent, and I have no idea what the breaker amp is, but I'll find out tonight. It makes sense to upgrade even though it's never tripped?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I haven't tried it but this guy has some opinions.

If you really want to go nuts, don't forget this whole thing started with butter as the liquid medium . . .

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

DARPA Dad posted:

Not sure what you're implying with your second sentence. Normally I butter poach my tails but have never gotten the real hang of it. For whole lobsters, I parboil, shock, extract meat, roast in oven.
I'm not sure if you mean traditional butter poaching? When you said oil + meat + sous vide was bad, I thought you meant as you said above, putting a bit of butter in the bag, and actual sous vide (under vacuum). I was referring to another Keller method (sorry, confusing) where the entire bucket is full of butter and there is no bag (so not actually sous vide although it uses the same circulator). If that's what you meant you didn't like, sorry for telling you about the same thing again.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Butter in the bag is generally accepted, but if you don't like it, don't do it!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
All beef is through the roof. In 2009 I had a lovely job, so if I had any red meat, it was the cheapest cut -- chuck steak at $0.99/lb. Inflation should make it $1.11 now . . . just kidding, it's about $5 near me now.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-is-beef-so-expensive-this-year-1720868551

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 21, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
One element is that the sous vide is at the target temp but the oven is above the target temp.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Isn't it the temperature of the meat that matters? Why does the temperature of the surrounding medium make a difference?
Which steak will hit 140° faster, one in a 140° environment or a 200° environment?

(For higher oven vs. lower sous vide, the heat transfer of air vs. water would counteract that, but I don't know to what degree.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you're going for traditional texture, what's the benefit of sous vide over the crockpot for corned beef?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Rainbow carrots are actually the opposite of heirloom -- they're just now being created. Not trying to be a jerk, it's just really neat.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The colored carrots that have been appearing over the last few years (in the US) are deliberately genetically engineered new varieties, not heirloom seeds preserved since the 1400s.

quote:

researchers have been changing up their colors and nutrient content to introduce entirely new varieties to U.S. consumers. Although geneticists have been creating these colorful carrots for many years now, they’re just starting to become popular
and the whole rest of the article.

I am charmed by the idea of a carrot museum though.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 2, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm not saying older colored varieties don't exist; of course they do. I'm saying the rainbow carrots that have shown up in grocery stores over the past few years in the US -- the rainbow carrots you're actually eating -- are totally new, deliberately genetically engineered, and it's cool.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Hot sink water is convenient enough. If conservation is a big concern, you can wait until the water cools afterward and then use it on your vegetable garden (or whatever).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I was unhappy with Kenji's SVed ribs too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I didn't use his rib rub, so I'm not weighing in on his salt levels, but the cook itself (temp/time) was no good for me for the ribs. It was a bummer to spend that much time on something that would've been better in the oven.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I know this is the sous vide thread, but if you want shrimp in a hurry, you could sauté them in moments.

Or if you sous vide and fridge them before you leave, don't reheat them when you get back, just eat them cold like shrimp cocktail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The cool tough guys on cooking shows all use cambros