Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Alright, so I've got this slab of meat that I want to cook for a whole bunch of guests.

It's about a 18" long, 6" at the thickest pork loin. I was planning on cutting it in half to make packing it a little easier and letting it go at 141 F for.. 5-6 hours?
It's so goddamned large that I wonder if it's a food safety issue. The other obvious option is to split it in half so each side gets some of the fat cap and just make life a little simpler.

Flavors are going to be a garlic/thyme/butter/whatever sort of deal, finishing doubleteamed with a torch and the grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

You need to protect the probe on that with something. It isn't waterproof.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

SubG posted:

Temperature problem with your puddle machine? A 50mm thick pork tenderloin coming out of a 4C/40F fridge will be pasteurised after around 3 hours at 59C/138F.

3.5" is a fuckoff huge pork tenderloin.

I did a 3" pork loin that was originally about 16" long (cut it in half and put it in two bags) at 140 for 7 hours and it was definitely not cold and raw in the middle.

Used an Anova, too.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

That would definitely explain it.

The poor motor that runs the impeller might be a little more prone to giving up the ghost now that it's been stalled for 5 hours.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Reheat from frozen, or do you actually mean leftovers?

Actual leftovers that sat around being partially eaten while cooling down then were eventually cooled back down to fridge/freezer temps sounds.. sketchy. Cooked and then ice bathed>frozen would be better, but 120 still sounds scary.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I backed the searzall too, but I'm pretty sure the only use it will ever get is fixing missed spots on ribeyes where the bone doesn't let the meat contact the pan quite enough.

And maybe drunken grilled cheese.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Unless you're going for big fatty steakhouse burgers or something, making a smash burger in a pan takes about 90 seconds. I'd be more inclined to break down a couple pounds of ground beef into smaller portions and vac seal raw than bother with sous vide for that.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

In my experience, mixing the seasoning into the meat requires far more seasoning for the same amount of flavor when compared to just seasoning the outside (it is a mystery). I haven't vizzled a burger yet though. I'll try it your way first!

Mixing or grinding salt into beef also gives it a terribly gross sausage texture instead of nice loose burger.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Don't worry, they'll be delayed again.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

My experience is that grass-fed beef is indeed much less fatty and has way less marbling. It's a very different beast compared to grain-fed, both in flavor and texture.

There is zero reason that grass fed beef can't be marbled as well or better than corn finished beef, or feedlot garbage beef.
They ween the calves as early as possible and take advantage of land and cheapest hay possible. It's unimpressive unless they're left on milk+hay until a year-ish. You'll get better meat if you get good corn finished 99% of the time.

Those are ribeyes from grassfed steers, left with their mother and never weened off milk until slaughter at about the year, 1.5 year mark. Grassfed should look like that if it's from a really small farmer that takes a lot of care.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 26, 2014

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Mine shipped. Delivery estimated to 10/20 via smartpost :v:

I don't know why I assumed that shipping them to Amazon was going to mean reasonably good shipping speed to the customers, but clearly not.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah, it's not a mindblowing amount of heat output. It takes some time to develop a crust. That said, I don't think it's really slower than pan searing, you just don't have the luxury of moving away from it while it sears.

I love it for fixing not-perfect spots (centers of ribeyes that always pull away from the pan and don't sear) and doing annoying shapes like SV chicken that plumps up too much to sear in a pan. Favorite way to do steak is to toss it in a pan, hit the top with the searzall, flip and continue searzalling. Really awesome crust and it halves the time in the pan. Also cheese.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What is a general maximum thickness for cylinder shaped objects? I'm thinking of breaking down my turkey for thanksgiving this year and making a porchetta to sous vide, and probably a second skin on breast so I have two.

I've got a 25+lb bird on order however, so it might end up being an awfully thick porchetta, although I suppose I could meat glue some of the big birds breast meat onto the probably smaller second one.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Baldwin always manages to confuse me. I don't know of I should infer from his tables that certain things don't have a safe pasteurization time past a certain size, or if he's just assuming that they don't exist past a certain thickness.

He maxes out at 70mm(2.75"), 149f 3.75h for poultry.

Table 2.2 maxes out to 95mm(3.7") 6hr for cylinder shapes, and that's just 1 F less than bath temp.

Can I assume that something 3.7" thick will reach the bath temperature in 6 hours regardless, and then just add in the pasteurization time (sub-4 minutes) and a good percentage of extra time for some leeway, or should I just not cook chicken over 2.75" thick?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

How dumb would it be to try and cook 3 big turkey roulades all at once with an Anova? I don't know if temperature recovery would be an issue adding that much 40-ish F meat all at once. I plan on using a cooler instead of a pot.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Did a thanksgiving trial-run today. I turned a turkey into a cylinder and cooked it 5h@148, then shallow fryed it to finish.

My conclusion is that breast meat is really easy to do, but there is never enough skin to get the usual mutant-huge amount of breast meat rolled up. Deboning the legs and thighs is easy, detendoning is ridiculous and takes entirely too long. Easier to roll, though.

I think on actual thanksgiving I'm going to braise the legs/thighs, make a turkeytube like I did today and SV the remaining breast meat for extra. I've got a mostly white meat eating family anyway.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

overdesigned posted:

Meat glue? Or did you tie it for the SV and then it held together on its own during the frying?

Yeah, meat glue. Amazing how well it worked.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

nwin posted:

So the searzall-how much smoke does it create? I'm considering one for fish and chicken because I think it would work better than a cast iron, but if it smoked out my house then gently caress that.

More than your average searing, not much more than a truly crazy hot cast iron pan. The difference is that as bits of fat go flying up into the air, they hit the red hot searzall and smoke up more than just really hot pan.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I parted out our 28lb bird and did the breasts and tenderloin separately (breasts were like 4" thick otherwise) at 148 5h, pulled them 5 minutes before everybody sat down and sliced them up. Easiest thanksgiving prep ever. Legs and thighs went in the oven and did their thing, that part is easy.

I did the porchetta/turkey roulade thing in the skin and then deepfried as a test run. Was cool, would not do again.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Okay stupid idea time...

Korean BBQ is often short ribs that are marinated and grilled.

Those ribs often have gristle and tough connective tissue.

What if one were to sous vide Korean cut short ribs for 48 hours, marinate for an hour and then sear them?

I think you could probably go so far as to rebag in marinade after 40-something hours and get more umph from the marinade, or cut down the acid in the marinade and use it the whole way through.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Jose posted:

Since I'm still waiting on my Anova Precision due to the 220v delay,is there a specific thickness of meat that you're not supposed to do?

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html
Baldwin tops out at about 4" depending on shape and temperature. I've pushed that limit with cylinder sorts of shapes, but I don't think I'd want to go much past it. People definitely do more, though.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

24 hr, 131F chuck roast, first time ever svizzling something this long, so goddamn good

:dong:

Just wait until you do a pork loin that's like 19" long and have to do an emergency rebag in two pieces :v:

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 3, 2015

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

can someone tell me what the gently caress the purpose of the anova one is? it costs $20 more and than the lowest-end unit and weighs nearly twice as much, yet has less functionality. i don't have a loving clue what reason it has to exist other than supporting ~at most~ an extra gallon of water (theoretically) and having a touchscreen which saves maybe 30 seconds of time when using it. neither of which means poo poo

i feel like i was suckered into it because it was the one that happened to be in stock for the holidays. which is an acceptable reason i just see absolutely zero excuse to buy it if the precision cooker is in stock

It's the accurate, more powerful older brother of the Precision that isn't full of weird wireless features nobody will use.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does the pump on yours make intermittent noise? I'm used to polysci just making a steady hum, but this seems to make different sounds. Also, there was a distinct "electric" smell but that may have just been a first use thing.

It should sound pretty steady after a minute or two. Both of mine start up quiet and you hear the pump gurgle a little, and then the fan starts up and that's all you hear. It's steady.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I use a little tiny cambro for sous vide most of the time since it's just me or maybe myself and one other person.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E0JM9A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Whenever I do a big cook, a 5 gallon cooler works really, really well and I can do ridiculous amounts of food and have a lot less of a problem with temp drop. Easier than the big cambro.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I really honestly wouldn't bother using a non-chamber sealer over a ziplock bag.

This, except for big meats like a giant pork loin or shoulder, etc. The rolls of bags are nice for that.

At home I never use the foodsaver anymore, just freezer bags from costco.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Anyone have advise on time/temp for sirloin roast? My mom wants me to do a turkey roulade from a leftover bird from thanksgiving, so since that's taking up oven space I'm going to SV a second protein.

It looks like most people seem to be recommending ~12-24h at 130-140. Sweet spot seems to be around 133 for 12-14h. Texturally, what does this end up being? Something approaching steak texture, or is it more like a magically medium-rare pot roast?

For all the SV I do, it's always boring quick cooks for convenience. I've never really experimented with long duration on slightly tougher cuts.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 24, 2015

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I had the same thought when I saw the most recent beef wellington picture. Would be pretty easy as long as the beef is chilled before it gets wrapped and baked.

e:
http://www.scrumulous.co.uk/2012/03/sous-vide-beef-wellington/
https://www.reddit.com/r/sousvide/comments/1s22m4/beef_wellington_sous_vide/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

There is a water shortage condition where I was (California), but I'm also lazy and lugging around a full 16qt Cambro to dump half of it in a pot (plus detaching/reattaching circulator) is annoying.

Thanks, upthread goon, for the Polyscience recommendation. I'll check it out. I'll also consider not being lazy.

Heatstick/immersion heater will speed things up considerably and probably be the cheap/easy route.
https://www.amazon.com/Large-Heater-Coffee-Heating-Cooking/dp/B00FO8FY68?ie=UTF8&pc_redir=1413886912&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop&robot_redir=1
There are plenty of more expensive, fancier heaters. Lots of them are bulkhead mount heaters, lots of other ones are bucket heaters meant to keep water from freezing in the winter so it's sort of a minefield of confusion. All of them should really be on a GFCI outlet/circuit/cheater.

e: oh dammit I missed the new page. Well at least I linked one :colbert: