Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Go with ribeye or strip steaks. You'll get better flavor for a lot cheaper. And most temperatures are safe consumption, except for things with a broad range, like beef. For medium rare, shoot for 130-135. There's a little variation in that range, but I find it pretty much idea.

EDIT: Crap, this was in reply to ScienceAndMusic's post. That'll teach me not to quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It's weird that he sears them before vizzling, then again afterwards. Does that get you anything over just after?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Turns out it's totally fine. About 3 hours at 44C and my guacamole didn't even start to turn brown for about six hours after I set it out.

Why did you need to heat them in the first place?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'd go cooler over Cambro. Cambros are expensive, and there's no insulation. I have no idea why they're so popular for sous vide rigs.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That sounds like something hitting the impeller. There might be a bit of plastic that it's catching, or something.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I don't understand what the mechanism would be. You're going to get more pressure from submersion in fluid than you are from the plastic around the piece of meat.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

TATPants posted:

Untrue - remember that the air is a fluid, too. By vacuuming the bag to 99.9%, you are essentially adding all the weight of the atmosphere onto the item of food. So at 99.9% vacuum, the food is at around 1 ATM of pressure. Water pressure increases with depth at a rate of about 1 ATM per 10 meters, so the submersion is negligible compared to the vacuum. With the zip lock bag technique you are spot on, but this changes when you actually pull a vacuum.

The piece of food is already at one atmosphere, though, just by virtue of being in the air. Air pressure doesn't magically only apply to things sealed in plastic.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

TATPants posted:

Let's compare two cases, the horizontal upper surfaces of two containers, one of which is at 1 atm of pressure inside with 1 atm of pressure outside and the other with a near vacuum inside and 1 atm of pressure outside. In the case of the container with equal pressures, there is no net force of the bag, since the pressure everywhere is equal. In the other case, since you have removed the pressure from the bag, there is a net force applied to the surface. This force is equal to the the area of the surface times 1 atm.

So sealing something in plastic will not affect the food, but applying a vacuum to it absolutely does.

You're still not getting it. In thee vacuum, the plastic bag is pressing on the food with a force of one atmosphere. Outside the plastic, just sitting on the counter, the air around the food is pressing on the food with a force of one atmosphere. 1 = 1. There's no change in pressure.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm more or less a vegetarian now. Is SV cooking even useful for me?

Some vegetarian dishes are nice when done SV, but it really shines with meat. I wouldn't get sous vide rig for vegetarian home use.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just did some chicken drumsticks - about two hours at 148, then rolled them in a mix of flour, cornmeal, chili powder, salt, pepper, and thyme, then browned them off in butter in a skillet. Deglazed with beer, let that reduce a smidge, then mixed in some sweet baby ray's, some sharp mustard, and and a good bit of louisiana hot sauce, then tossed the drumsticks back in to cover them with sauce.

A slightly thicker, crunchier crust would have been nicer, but they were incredibly moist and and awesome.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

cheezit posted:

I got this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a lid for it. Works pretty well, plus I can store a bunch of other stuff in it when not in use. I need to put a little plastic wrap over the open portion of the lid to let the Sansaire fit, but it loses very little water over long cooks, and it doesn't get hot so you can move it while it's going. If that's your jam.

Seriously, just get a plastic cooler. Cheaper, way more efficient, multi-purposed. There's zero reason to use a cambro or a cambro-type product - they're inferior to coolers in every respect for sous vide.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Just did a huge duck breast, 136 for about 2 hours, then seared it, served it in rounds with roasted red pepper and capers. My notoriously picky eater friend (who has never had duck somehow, in spite of being almost 30) loved it, which was a huge bonus.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I think short ribs are better at 48 hours/144f, myself. They get a little too soft by 72.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

If it sat at 165 for a while, it'd probably be safe for a good long time, even at temps between 90-120. That initial cook killed most of the bacteria.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That sounds really bad - lots of time for bacterial growth at optimal growth temps, and not getting it hot enough to kill many of them. An hour at 54C is more than adequate for a steak.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

dotster posted:

Why not just get a cambro with a lid, they are pretty cheap? Then you don't have to worry about a hinge or cooking something at high temp and warping a cooler.

Also, Cambros are more expensive and less insulated than coolers. They're worse in basically every way.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

These are pretty edge situations, in its defense. A completely open and uninsulated container is going to take an awful lot of energy to keep 4 gallons of water at a near boil.

As to the yogurt thing, that's just a circulation nightmare. A tiny volume of free water to circulate, compared to a huge volume of stationary jarred liquids - I don't doubt the temperature in that container varied quite a bit depending on the vagaries of the flow characteristics around the bottles.

Anyone with sense uses an insulated container anyway.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Choadmaster posted:

No matter how long I stare at your balls I can't figure out what's going on there. What up with your balls?

It's a very elaborate replacement for a lid.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

My Anova yesterday started reading "System: Error" after spending a couple of hours doing vegetables at 183f. It's fine this morning, though. It's ten months old - should I try to swap it for a new unit?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It really depends on what cut you're roasting. If it's a tender cut, with not much collagen, you probably only want it in for 90 minutes or two hours, just enough for it to come to temp. If it's more-used muscle, then you'll want the whole 24 hours.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

xarg posted:

After ~26 hours at 55C my brisket came out and was still pretty chewy. Next time maybe 48-72 hours?

Very happy with the colour and appearance though:

Yeah, brisket is a really tough cut, and the hydrolysis that turns collagen to gelatin, making the meat tender, takes a long time at temps that low. With a brisket, I'd guess maybe 24 hours at 160f, or 48 at 144 (which is where I prefer my shortribs as well).

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The Pell posted:

Any recommendations to puddle a tri-tip? I did some searching online and the times are all over the place.

I like them just long enough to come to temp - maybe two hours. After that, it gets mushy without getting tender.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

One of the great things to do with skinless, boneless chicken breasts is to throw them away and never use them for anything ever again. They're the most boring meat.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Or just hold the torch back a bit further than you would normally. You don't need the flame to appear to touch what you're searing to sear it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, I've made sauces with bag juice from 48 hour cooks fairly often. If you're making a sauce anyway, just taste it and see if it'll add flavors you want.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Steve Yun posted:

Freeze the fruit and then thaw, and then vacuum. The ice crystals will break up the plant fibers and cell walls, which makes them easy to vacuum compress.

Is that how you did the compressed watermelon for that Hannibal dinner a while back?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

wheez the roux posted:

e: if someone has to explain to you why "puddling" sounds stupid you probably have other annoying affectations

Oh, yeah, it's totally affected. Whenever anyone asks how I made something, I just switch to french and say j'ai fait cette whatever en sous vide. It's the easiest way not to sound pretentious.

Just kidding, that sucks, and 'puddle' is a fine verb for it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm not sure about the food safety, but to keep from losing your water, you need a lid. Even just aluminum foil will do. I use a coleman cooler as my container most times, and I just cut a corner off the lid so my Anova fits with the lid closed.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

If you're going to break them down anyway, you can do the different sections at different temps. I love duck breasts done at like 135-ish for two hours or so then seared in a hot pan to crisp them up, but you'd want to go higher for the legs and such.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, I've done most of my longer cooks either using ziplocs or asking the butcher to vacuum-seal cuts for me. A good butcher shop should do it for free, and most of the places I've asked have been really interested in chatting about sous vide cooking.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Seems like it'd be super annoying to have to use their phone app to do simple things. I wouldn't want to get it without some way to set the temperature on the device itself.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

never happy posted:

Anybody have an recommendations for a DIY sous vide? Or have any ideas which would make a great machine? I already have the Anova, and I love it, but I wanna make a sous vide that has a low profile, as well as being able to access on my phone. The idea came about because I wanted to have the ability to put my dinner in an ice bath in the morning, and then I can turn on the machine while at school, so it would be ready when I get home

I'm currently going to to a trades school as a machinist, so I have access to all the metal working, woodworking, and electronics disciplines to create this machine. The sky is the limit. I was thinking of creating a double hulled steel enclosure similar to the sous vide supreme. Or maybe just use a ceramic pot and then fabricate a lid with all the necessary electronics a part of it. I would be using rasberry pi and arduino (something I've just recently have been introduced to) for the controls

If anybody is serious about helping me out with this, I would be willing to fabricate the final product (aside from eletronics) and ship a few out.

You could probably forgo the raspberry pi - Arduino is plenty smart for what you'd need to be doing unless you also want to run minecraft on your sous vide rig.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That should be fine - in longer, hotter cooks, I've gotten some bubbles even without the seal having been lost, just from air and water vapor expanding.

EDIT: Brisket at 144f/30hours: good idea or bad idea?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

DARPA Dad posted:

Is my Anova faulty? Started with roughly 110F water, been waiting nearly an hour for it to get to 165F. It's 163F now so I only have a little bit longer to go, but then I still have an hour of cooking in front of me. I know the Anova One heats faster but this isn't normal, right? I don't have any windows or other ways for super cold air to get into the room.

If your container isn't covered, it's going to take a long time to get to high temps and a lot of energy to keep the water there. I use a cooler with a corner of the lid cut out for mine, and it works great, but in an open metal container, it's rather less great.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I used a hacksaw on my cooler lid, which I still maintain is a better container than a cambro.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

M. Night Skymall posted:

Do you have a cooler you'd recommend for this? I'm getting a little annoyed with the pre-heating time on the random metal pots I've tried so far.

I've just got a regular hinged-lid coleman - I measured the walls to make sure my anova clamp would fit, then hacked the corned of the lid off so I could close it. It's worked great for two years now.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It would probably work although it's likely to violate safety guidelines because of its thickness (depending on size of course). That's not to say it will make you sick (more than likely it will not) but strictly speaking it should not be done.

I seriously don't understand that safety objection. If it's thick enough to take a dangerously long time to come to temp in a water bath, why is it not thick enough to take a dangerously long time to come to temp in a low oven?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If surface contamination is the risk, then you're talking about an environment (170 or so) where most food pathogens have a 7-log reduction immediately, versus a temp (128) which is still in the danger zone.

If that's the case, though, does everyone dip their short ribs in boiling water before 48-72 hour cooks? I never have, and it's been fine. Unless there's a huge difference between 128 and 133 or whatever the modernist recipe recommends?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Steve Yun posted:

Personally I'd be more worried about the exposed cast iron edges being near humidity

Most of those aren't actually exposed cast iron, just a different color/type of enamel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

namaste faggots posted:

What's salted beer taste like? Sounds cool.

Mexican folks often salt their beer - you can even find special flavored beer salts in gas stations and stuff.