Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Strips definitely benefit from getting a bit hotter to soften the fat more, but extra time won't make the muscle tissue itself much more tender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Sentient Data posted:

I thought the whole point of longer cooks was to gelatinize the connective tissue? Regarding fat, I've also gotten into the habit of holding the torch over fatty areas a bit longer during the sear, and it works well

Yeah, that's exactly the reason for longer cook times. These tender cuts don't have much of a collagen matrix in the muscle, though, so there isn't much collagen to hydrolize into gelatin.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Subjunctive posted:

At dinner last night we had some amazing confit carrots. The restaurant just maintains a cauldron of melted butter, but agreed that it would work sous vide at smaller scale. I’ve only been able to find stovetop confit carrot recipes, which call for 275F. I see recipes for garlic that do 7hrs at 190F, which I might use as a starting point. Has anyone else attempted this?

This recipe is delicious:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

Omit the sugar and add whatever herbs you prefer before the 'reduce the liquid' stage if you're into that.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Pork and beef in the sous-vide. Does adding alcohol help break down the meat like it does in a slow cooker?

Does alcohol do anything (other than add beer/wine/whisky flavors) in a slow cooker? I'd figure you'd just get a cloud of alcohol vapor in the air in the cooker after an hour or so at slow cooker temps, which would evaporate when you take the lid off.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

couldcareless posted:

I always thought "sushi grade" just meant it was less likely to have parasites in the meat, nothing to do with bacteria.

Doesn't it just mean that it's been frozen at a time/temp that'll kill parasites?