Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I am in Canada and had an email chat with the Anova guys a few weeks ago. They are working on getting the thing certified (CSA?) in November. They offered to ship me one *now* if I signed a liability waiver. I figured I'd wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Heran Bago posted:

Here is an amazing recipe from an amazing book that will make some of the best fish you ever ate:

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sous-vide-salmon-in-the-kitchen-sink/

There are a variety of spices you can use too, the spice mix on that page is too specific for me. I like rosemary and a little white pepper but dill or peppercorns are also good. I also like to finish it in a pan for 10 seconds using the oil it cooked in rather than butter.

Just made this tonight, with the spice mix in the recipe. Un-loving-believable salmon.

Sides: rice, and carmelized brussel sprout thing I found when they mentioned in winter they prefer cabbage with the salmon.

Off to mop the kitchen floor.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Anova now takes orders from Canada on their web page - that's new, and I just ordered a red Anova :)

Last night was 2 New York steaks done in the sink at 135 degrees... then seared in my Lodge cast iron skillet.

Yum.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Happy!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

nwin posted:

What's wrong with ping pong balls? Though I would say that the cover is a much better idea.

I use a Cambro and plan to cut an Anova-shaped hole in the lid. Less insulation than the Coleman mind.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

So . . .

Beyond eggs and lobster/shellfish in butter, I'm not really sure what the value is to this technique.

So... you're illiterate?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Where are Canadians getting Cambro containers? I've only ever seen them at a couple of restaurant supply places that either sell in packs of six or are incredibly expensive. I have the Rubbermaid equivalent of the standard 12x18x9 Cambro, but it's annoying as poo poo because the Anova clip doesn't clear the lip properly, so the only option is to leave it hanging loose. I can't even find the little poly containers people use for cooking small items.

Nella Cucina on Bathurst St in Toronto sells individual units

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

kirtar posted:

The other problem is anaerobic spore forming bacteria such as Clostridium botulinum, C. perfingens, and Bacillus cereus since the spores are pretty hardy (i.e. will not be killed at pasteurization temps since C. botulinum spores can survive boiling) and can repopulate and/or produce potentially toxic compounds (Baldwin).

Which Baldwin? Billy, I'd assume, he seems toxic.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Spook posted:

Surprised there are not more egg discussions in here. I tried mimicking this based on the Anova article, and it turned out to be a great, easy to make breakfast!

Just take it out of the jar and throw under the broiler for a few minutes to have a hot homemade breakfast that was batched cooked and will reportedly last a week. An 8oz jar will hold 2 eggs plus cheese, 1 slice bacon and vegetables, and cooks completely at 172 for 60 minutes.

Jesus, no thanks:
pre:
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (130 g)
Calories 310	Calories from Fat 200
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22g	34%
Saturated Fat 14g	70%
Trans Fat 0g	
Cholesterol 185mg	62%
Sodium 600mg	25%
Total Carbohydrate 9g	3%
Dietary Fiber 0g	0%
Sugars 2g	
Protein 19g	

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Fuzz posted:

https://www.fastcodesign.com/90103320/this-sous-vide-bag-is-made-to-be-cooked-in-your-laundry

Gonna totally make some brisket while I wash my gym shorts, socks, and fiance's ripe menstrual thongs. :shepface:

:discourse:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Found some individually plastic packaged salmon and tuna filets.

1) Can I just drop the Salmon in the puddle, or do I need to re-bag them into ziploc?

2) For the Tuna, I want to use them to make sashimi, but I shouldn't puddle them to thaw faster, right I should just let them sit in the fridge?

Is it sushi-grade tuna?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Are there cheap bad cuts of steak that become surprisingly tasty if you sous vide? I've got a hankering for steak but I'm sick of breaking the bank.

Neigh.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Then scroll down and put it in context instead of chopping it off there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I'm an idiot for not posting this question here in the first place:

Doing a ~5lb pork loin to slice and serve in hot sandwiches. What temp should I SV, and for how long?

Also, right now it's brining in a can of Strongbow with a few other things. Should I move it to a new bag, or should I SV it in the cider?

135 F gets you medium rare. I just Googled.