Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mod sassinator posted:

I've been way out of the loop on sous-vide cookers but want to upgrade my PID-based aquarium heater controller & crockpot setup to something simpler like an Anova or Sansaire. Is the Anova still the best option for ~$200 sous vide cookers? Is the version I can get on Amazon right now a good one, or is there some better kickstarter I should (or should have) jump on?

Be a cool kid and jump on the Nomiku train! http://www.nomiku.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

Thing is, I've noticed that plastic, even after double-bagging, tends to leak a little over a long period of time.

First, don't buy bargain brand plastic bags.

Second, you want to leave an air gap if you vizzle in a mason jar. Otherwise, you have water expanding inside a frangible container with nothing to expand into.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Test Pattern posted:

Bah. I think my Anova is already dead. The weird impossibly-high-fluctuating-temp problem didn't recur but now it will run for about 30 seconds and then start the low-water alarm. Have emailed support, but reports are they take forever. Oh well, it was a fun three weeks and I look forward to starting again if they have fix instructions or replace it.

I think I found out why Nomikus took an extra year and a half to ship -- they work.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

These steel bulldog clips are awesome, even if they were triple the price: http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulldog-clips/=uoyiv1

I don't use any other clips in my kitchen.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Move somewhere closer to a McMaster depot, obvs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Souffle posted:

I've done short ribs for 72 hours in ziplocks without double bagging and it turned out fine.

Me too. Use real ziplocks and not store brand bags, and you'll be fine.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Okay I did three batches of oxtail at 100 hours.

First one was great.

The second and third batches however, were FUNKY. Like farts funky. I decided to take the risk of eating it because it smelled slightly different from bacteria funk. After eating it I think something about the 100 hours of sous vide made the meat gamey, more gamey than lamb or anything else I've ever eaten. I'm not sure why one batch wasn't funky and the other two were, but my guess is that the two funkier batches had smaller pieces and more bone.

I had that happen with 72 hour short rib once. The ribs tasted fine, but smelled, like you said, funky.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Huzzah! I finally got my Anova yesterday. It's quite a bit larger, heavier, and just more solid overall than I expected. I just thawed some boneless pork chops and plan to pop my sous vide cherry tonight or tomorrow night, as well as hopefully knock my girlfriend's panties off with how delicious a medium-rare pork chop can be.

That said, now that I have it in my possession, I feel almost frozen in terror. Is there a handy guide to most proteins/vegetables for times and temp? I follow this thread religiously but it's been mostly abstract theory thus far - now I need actual practical advice.

http://bagsoakeat.com/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Anovas can't hold temp, Sansaires are assembled out of old feathers and bits of twine, and the OG Nomiku keeps on chugging.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Congrats on having to constantly explain to people that it's not a giant green vibrator.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

For cooks under four hours, evaporation isn't an issue. For multi-day cooks, use plastic wrap / tin foil to make a lid, and check your water level every day or so.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

[redacted]

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Bag with some good homemade red chile sauce (or taco sauce if you are lazy). 140F for maybe 30-60 minutes longer than you would to just reach temp. Take out of the water bath and let it cool slightly so you don't burn your hands in the next step. Shred in the bag. It should be tender to just mush around in the bag and shred it all up.

Make tacos. The best shredded chicken tacos ever.

I did this for a potluck at work today. Easy as gently caress. The hardest part was the chicken was too hot for my delicate little babyfingers to shred right out of the water bath.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What you have to realize is, when you vizzle, you're not just sticking stuff in hot water until it's cooked. You're walking on the razor's edge between Flavortown and A Big Bowl Filled With Botulism. You're literally taunting death every second, because that is the price of good eats. You gotta just be skimming the treetops of the Danger Zone, and when you come in for a landing, you gotta land fast and hard or else Charlie is gonna plant a septic RPG so far up your rear end you'll taste the proximity fuse.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Phiberoptik posted:

I'm gonna buy an Anova, i've heard problems about the new one. Which one should I buy?

Get a Nomiku.

redweird posted:

My friend is getting into sous vide which is cool for me as I like food. I would like to buy him a blowtorch but I'm unsure what kind to get (what fuel is good etc). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

How much do you like your friend? If the answer is "about twenty to fifty bucks", get any old propane torch, ideally one with a clicky igniter (walk into Home depot and start poking around). If the answer is "over a hundred bucks", click this, scroll down to the "frequently bought together", and buy all three of those.

Ideally, if you get a searzall, you should get a smaller, wider, camping propane cylinder. The narrow, tall one listed above won't hurt anything if your friend can figure out how to put the hot searzall down without burning the house down.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 14, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

So what is the point of the searzall I keep hearing about? What is wrong with searing in a pan? It seems like its more trouble than its worth.

What's the point of an immersion circulator? Why can't you just boil-in-a-bag? Heck, stewin' was good enough for my pappy, and by god it's good enough for me!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Or use aluminum foil to make a lid, because having to keep track of a bunch of ping pong balls in your kitchen is ridiculous.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

There are a number of apps that will crunch these numbers for you (I use SousVideDash).

Is there an Android analog, or one that just runs in a web browser?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

snyprmag posted:

I take it you mean 140F?
I just got an Anova and got some very good pork chops last night with 2hrs at 135F.

You mean the Anova can't turn two gallons of water into superheated steam? Weak.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Alright y'all, anyone on the Sainsaire/Anova fence now has no excuse not to buy an immersion circulator that won't break when you look at it wrong. The first gen Nomikus are on sale for $200 with the coupon code MOMNOMS.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-deals-we-can-find/#nomiku

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

The first gen Nomikus are nice but they also have a pretty small range when it comes to water level.

People get all freaked out about that, but I've done 72 hour cooks with my Nom and experienced no problems.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Went and bought a 4 lbs pork roast from the meat science lab and plan to have it for dinner. The wife is terribly worried about under cooked meat so I'm doing it at 158F for 3+ hours. Any suggestions on modifying that time/temp or what to toss in the bag? I'm contemplating apple slices and rosemary, but I'm not really settled on the spicing.

Helloooooo! That's only a few hours from me!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Surprisingly long. I had a burger that I forgot about, in a zip lock, even, that was still good after about two weeks in the fridge.

Real answer: experiment with it. If it smells funky, throw it out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sansaires are practically disposable. Just buy a couple dozen and use 'em for beer until they crap out like normal.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jan posted:

There's been talks of cambros for the last few pages, why use those over a plain stock pot?

If you're a huge nerd and you want to cosplay Kenji Lopez-Alt, use a Cambro. If you're in your house, use a drat stock pot. Throw an aluminum foil lid on that poo poo if you're doing a >24hr cook.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MasterFugu posted:

foil will leak air, so the point you're going for isn't there.

Yeah and idiotic plastic balls won't? It's about reducing the _amount_ of water vapor that escapes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Email 'em. The Nom people are remarkably responsive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Argyle posted:

What temps do y'all do your burgers at? I had it in my brain that 135F = Medium Rare but holy hell that was a huge mistake. My burgs turned into hockey pucks.

A skoch under 135F usually. The trick is, you gotta hit 'em with a super hot and fast sear, otherwise the heat propagates through the patty too quickly.

If I'm feeling lazy (all the time), I'll do 'em at 135, cool them back down, and refrigerate. Then I'll just pull out one or two at a time and put a quick (but not super urgent) sear on them before serving (alternatively, 7 minutes under the broiler in my office's toaster oven brings them from fridge-cold to rather nice).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I bet I could find a high temperature foam board, cut it to fit various ICs in various Cambros, and sell it at immense markup to puddledorks, billing it as the best heat and water loss solution for your most longest, most temperature sensitive sous vide applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wait and see if you're still laughing when the Tinfoil Wars start!