Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
backer-d7a3sces same rules as above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Has anyone tried puddling in jars? Thinking about something in the nature of a rillete or pate.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

There are food safety concerns if you do this without lots of liquid in the jars/jugs, because you really need decent thermal contact between the jar and whatever's inside the jar to not die (i.e. do liquid or a thing in liquid in the jar).

OK. Should I worry about air in the headspace? IE: Do I want the attachment to evacuate a mason jar using my foodsaver?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What are you trying to do where this is a concern?

Expanding gas blowing off the top. Probably highly unlikely.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

The Midniter posted:

Has anyone gotten their Kickstarter Anova yet? I'm antsy.

Mine shipped yesterday, tracking says arriving Monday. I believe I'm in the first group shipping. Have you received your invite to their tracking site yet?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Anova came! Very impressive packaging. Already have it going in the cooler, with salmon in at 120F.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

Were you one of the $99 people

Yes. Salmon came out amazing. Eggs were a bit runny, but I think my eggs were very cold. Just put lamb in for 23 hours at 135F.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Anova update: it is even more beautiful in person. Nice and sturdy, brings water to temp a bIt slower than is convenient, and water loss is more than I'd hoped but the salmon, eggs, and lamb all came out perfect. I just need to remember to to up my cooler at least once a day firing multi-day cooks. Fast evaporation probably has a lot to do with the usual dryness of my apartment.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

FireTora posted:

Cover whatever container you're cooking in. I used to loose a lot to evaporation but since I hacked a hole in the top of a cooler for my Nomiku the drop in water has been unnoticeable in weeks.

This is the plan. Sadly, the one issue with the Anova 2 is it's footprint at the lip. I'm going to try and hit up a friend with an appropriate tool this weekend and figure out the best placement (either on the hinge side and sand down the hinge-pins like in that well-known Nomiku hack or in the corner where I have it and just cut out that corner.)

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

dotster posted:

Why not just get a cambro with a lid, they are pretty cheap? Then you don't have to worry about a hinge or cooking something at high temp and warping a cooler.

I have the cooler, it has the exact right footprint and I'll be able to mod it just fine if I can borrow a friends appropriate tool (which a cambro lid would also require).

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Foil solved my water loss problem completely. Went from substantially over 2L lost per twelve hours cooking at 144F to barely measurable loss at 36 hours.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Is the awesome giant tube backers only?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Three weeks into my Anova, I'm loving it. Surprisingly, the timing flexibility (either cook-chill or multiday cooks) to do most of dinner the night before is a huge factor in how much I like it. Also surprisingly, I like the off-brand vacuum bags a lot more than the brand name ones.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

Hey so Chefsteps says to shortrib 72 hours at 129°F, and Modernist Cuisine, Kenji and Polyscience say 144°F.

What do you guys think.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp Covers this. I personally prefer 48hr at 144 to the, frankly, weird texture you get at 129 for 72.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
My Anova just did the weirdest thing -- it beeped like it had come to temp and when I went to put the food in, it showed 285F. It fluctuated a bit between 250 and 285, then shut off. Plugging it and unplugging it seemed to help. Anyone else seen that?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Water, first time it happened, had just topped up to just below MAX line before turning on. Completely weird, didn't happen before. After unplugging and plugging back in it read a normal temp and warmed to target in a normal time and held at target for the three hours I needed it to. It's currently reading the just-over-100 I'd expect given past cooldowns and the water feels about that. If it happens again I'll email them.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Bah. I think my Anova is already dead. The weird impossibly-high-fluctuating-temp problem didn't recur but now it will run for about 30 seconds and then start the low-water alarm. Have emailed support, but reports are they take forever. Oh well, it was a fun three weeks and I look forward to starting again if they have fix instructions or replace it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Anova update! It worked well enough to do a cook at 142 2 days ago, though it fluctuated more than was ideal. Today, it's holding 165 dead perfect. I have no loving idea. Still going to try to get it replaced because I don't feel safe leaving it unattended, and I bought it, in part, for multiday cooks.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

Also, as a side discussion there it seems that a lot of meat sold as "boneless short rib" is throwing off people's sous vide results, because instead of being actual short rib meat, it's meat from the general vicinity which cooks very differently, and it's hard to tell what's what until you cook it.

That's informative. It's quite nice, but it's not the same magic trick level of result.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
The Anova Precision, if you're willing to wait and believe Anova's story about the problems. Supposedly, all the issues I had with mine and others had with theirs are fixed in the second run (which you'd be getting). I'm mailing mine back in this week, and frankly, even having to work around the weird calibration issues it's a fantastic device at a price that can't be beat. The workaround I found for my temp-reading fluctuation issues were to unplug and replug -- once the temp was stable it stays so for days, but only about 1/3rd of the time will it give an even partially sensible reading.

The reason for the price drop with feature increase is partially Moore's law, partially lessons learned from the first generation of clip-on immersion heaters and partially a slight decrease in power (offset by better brains -- the Anova Precision cooker circulates 25% less water/time and has 20% less heating power, but gets 85% as much water to temp notably faster (per Kenji of Serious Eats) than the One).

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

dotster posted:

So you are sending it back to get swapped or for them to calibrate the unit? I only saw a note about calibrating the unit in the email project update that I received. I didnt think it was worth it to just get it calibrated.

Apparently my problem is more severe but related -- they'll either calibrate or replace.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

deimos posted:

Err. Because I have been doing it forever and it's common sense? It was a natural step after doing creme brulé and ice cream.

Also: http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/12/the-strange-effects-of-tempering-chocolate-with-a-sous-vide-machine/

His advice to agitate the bag is the difference, at least from that article. And yes, a lot of Kenji's food science is well known among food scientists, but the techniques he offers to apply them for the semi-advanced home cook and the well-developed recipes incorporating them are what he brings to the table.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

The Midniter posted:

I asked earlier but didn't get a response about boneless pork chops. Well I cooked them last night at 135 for two hours, but we'd already eaten dinner so I threw them in an ice bath and put them in the fridge to eat later. I'm going to puddle them to warm them back up, pat dry and sear them, but were the 2 hours @135 enough for medium rare or should I cook them longer or at a higher temp for some amount of time?

Loin chop or shoulder chop? Loin chop is fine at 2, shoulder chop I'd let go to 4 maybe?

Also, my anova replacement came 6 days after sending in borked unit. Haven't started using it yet, but they seem to be getting their feet under them regarding defects and calibration.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

Okay stupid idea time...

Korean BBQ is often short ribs that are marinated and grilled.

Those ribs often have gristle and tough connective tissue.

What if one were to sous vide Korean cut short ribs for 48 hours, marinate for an hour and then sear them?

Call me weird, but I like the rings of gristle around the bones. Their thinness, the marinade and the hot grill weaken them just enough that they're crunchy not rubbery.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
When Anova said the replacement units were better-calibrated and fixed some production issues, they weren't kidding. Got my new unit and the temp is rock-solid and matches my probe thermometer. Very happy, just want the app now.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Isn't swordfish one of those overfished and filled with mercury fishes?

Swordfish is a huge conservation success story -- everyone who gave a drat stopped eating it for about a decade and with good management, it rebounded. Mercury's an issue as it's an apex predator, but that just means you have to space it out or, if your a woman planning on popping a sprog, skip it. We could do the same thing for most endangered fishes but people don't give a poo poo.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Mikey Purp posted:

What time and temp was this, and did you poach them afterwards? I've tried eggs twice so far and while they've been good, they have yet to come out looking as good as yours.

Fresh eggs. The ticket is stupid-fresh eggs. The second you can't separate the loose and tight whites easily is the second vizzling eggs becomes mediocre.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

dotster posted:

It does have a lot of mercury, more than most, a normal portion can give you several times your weekly allotment. It should be fine for healthy adults to eat occasionally but I don't feed it to my kids.

Thanks for the heads-up. It's not my go-to fish, but I'll treat it as two tuna portions.

Did a boneless leg of lamb, had planned 36 hours at 134, pulled at 24 due to excessive bag-bloat, glad I did as I find it too soft (wife likes it though). Flavor's great though. Got a good deal on a whole salmon, so I'm right now doing 16 9oz filets at 120 for 45.

The replacement Anova is amazing, exactly what I'd hoped it would be when I kickstarted.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 3, 2015

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
(on second thought let's not double post)

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Phanatic posted:

Has anyone done creme brulee?

I've seen some recipes that involve setting up a rack for ramekins and filling with water to come up the sides of the ramekin, just like you'd do in a conventional oven, but that seems precarious when I'm trying to do it in a big pot that needs to be filled with enough water to be above the Anova's minimum fill line. I've also seen recipes that just cook a mess of custard in a bag and then you pour that into ramekins and set them in the fridge to set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHuXaJhRNY

And then I've seen some that involve pouring the raw custard into ramekins and wrapping the poo poo out of them with plastic wrap before putting then in the water, which to me sounds like crazy talk.

I was thinking of using little mason jars, instead of ramekins, because the lids would seal against immersion. But that'd make it hard to torch the sugar. Also thinking about doing the one-big-bag method, but adding a bit of gelatin to help it set, as if it were a panna cotta.

Thoughts?

Mason jars are exactly the ticket. I made a double batch of the recipe from ChefSteps (http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/creme-brulee) and it came out amazing. Just be sure to have long tongs or something to get the jars in/out with -- tipping them at the end isn't so bad, so you could use a spider or pour off the water, but putting them in straight down is vital to getting them to cook in a neatly vertical condition.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

BraveUlysses posted:

So I tried making Mango's technique for BSCBs cooked in red tamale sauce, but I'm not sure where I went wrong but I used this recipe for the sauce:

http://www.food.com/recipe/red-chili-sauce-to-be-used-with-traditional-tamales-15301

And cooked with a few cheap (Costco pre-brined) frozen BSCBs for 100 min at 140 and I dunno it was very juicy but the texture was a bit weird and the chicken just didn't have enough flavor when I shredded them and made tacos.

Maybe I should try it with thighs? I was looking for some ideas to make chicken breasts better.

The Costco pre-brined BSCBs may be the issue -- if they're the ones I'm thinking of (3 breasts/pack, 10 packs per package), you need to totally defrost them and dry them before bagging for sous vide. I thought I would be clever and bag them still frozen, let them defrost in vacuum bag, and puddle, but they came out offensively rubbery. Subsequent attempts worked if I made sure to totally defrost, dry and season before putting them in the water, though.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mindphlux posted:

after a couple weeks of using my anova, the high points are :

d. bulk - I haven't used it for this yet, but I think it'll come really in handy when I throw dinner parties. getting 15 duck breasts cooked exactly right is usually a challenge. with a circulator, gently caress, I barely have to lift a finger

e. mess - it's wasteful to cook poo poo in plastic bags, but goddamn does it make cleanup easy...

f. Fish - take salmon. Salmon changes radically with every degree you heat it 118F, 120F and 122F salmon are recognizably different. I never got salmon right at home. Not once. Never. Now? I did NINE POUNDS and every piece was perfect. Note that I did this at the start of the month, and I just ate the last of it YESTERDAY and it was PERFECT.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Mr Executive posted:

Any suggestions for doing a boneless leg of lamb? It came vacuum sealed from the store, but I think I want to break it open and rebag so that I can add some spices. I was planning on bagging it up tonight, then putting it in before I leave for work tomorrow or Wednesday morning. I'm planning on doing 12h at 135, followed by 10 minutes in a 500 degree oven.

1: Definitely rebag after a rinse and dry.
2: Time/temp look about right.
3: Careful with spices. I used a spice rub I've had a lot of success with on conventionally cooked lamb (Dual Grocery's garam masala + salt + a small amount of powdered mustard + oil to make paste) and it came out odd. I suspect it was the mustard.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Knifegrab posted:

Maybe this is my problem too. Would a higher heat yield a more tender result as well?

Yes. Your expectations should be realigned though -- the point of the low multiday cooks for meats like brisket and short rib is to create a different texture from the one you're used to. ChefSteps has a great series of descriptions and videos showing this in shortribs at http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp . If you want the traditional falling-apart brisket, cook in the 160's or higher, and you'll get a particularly good rendition of what you're used to. Doing it super low for three days, however, gives you a much firmer but still tender outcome.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Dane posted:

We'll be throwing a naming party for our boy (think baptism without the religious aspects) and since our budget is limited, I am going to do as much of the cooking as possible. Any good suggestions for sous-vide preparations that don't require much, if any, finishing on the day (can be served cold or reheated in oven) and would work well in a buffet setting? At the venue we'll have a single stove and two ovens, but not much in the way of time or equipment.

I'm considering doing a lightly cured carpaccio style-thing with rosemary and brown sugar, sliced super thin but other than that I'm feeling very uninspired.

Salmon. Salmon is amazing for this and can be served cold. Just completely pre-portion, vac and cook (I like 118-120 for 40).
Also, if you're doing any kind of salad that can be made a main by adding chicken breast, you don't need to sear it off, and it's the easiest way to do a bunch of perfect slabs of moist chicken that tastes like chicken.
Poached eggs can be finished incredibly fast with just a pot and slotted spoon -- if you have two people to make a mini assembly line, your net time is somewhere around 5 seconds per egg.
I find that pork loin roasts oven-finish better than beef roasts, I'm not sure why.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Jose posted:

What veg is worth sous viding? I did the serious eats carrots but I don't see any benefit over just doing them in a pan in butter anyway considering that I still have to clean a pan after

Kenji says to use a water bath to activate sweet potato enzymes for increased sweetness. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/food-lab-sweet-potatoes-mashed-science-not-sugar-thanksgiving.html I did this and, while I didn't do an A/B, they roasted great.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Knifegrab posted:

Is there a gold standard for good sous vide containers. I am using some lovely storage container and everything about it pisses me off. I am using an Anova One for reference so I have 12 liters or less to work with.

I use http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-18-Quart-Party-Stacker-Cooler/dp/B002BMB8T2 which works great and seems to have some popularity. Narrow footprint, which is nice for apartment living, the lid pops off, which is vital if you're using a cooler, and the handle makes it easier to move to and fro for filling or dumping. I haven't done testing, but I imagine the insulation makes my Anova slightly cheaper to run, and the narrow top makes covering it with foil for long cooks easy. Only downside is the vertical orientation means I sometimes need to work to get non-bag items (eggs, jarred custards) out of the bottom.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Juice Box Hero posted:

How does this work, practicality-wise? Do you have to spend half an hour heating eggs every morning?

I think it would be cool to be able to throw them in the night before but from what I read, that's not how it works.

I was thinking maybe, throw them in on waking, bathroom/shower/dress then eat, but that doesn't include warmup time. Maybe a workout before all that? Or is there some other secret? Tell us!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Nomiku just posted a 4/20 sous vide recipe: http://www.eattender.com/recipes/cannabis-infused-butter Probably more apropos to TCC, but it's notable, so I note it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
To jump back, if I'm going to do a store-bought corned beef, do I put the spices in the vac bag or just toss them?