Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Anybody seen the patent itself? Not that I'd necessarily understand what infringement would constitute in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I ordered last week and they told me 18-21 days.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Just got my shipping confirmation email for my Anova. Ordered ~2/19 and they'd told me 3 weeks, so I'm pleased they're exceeding expectations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

89.99 in my neck of the woods(Denver). Not a meaningless discount, but not quite so steep.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Huge_Midget posted:

My new Anova puddle machine just arrived! I'm so drat excited to use this thing. Any suggestions on a foolproof first recipe to impress the wife with?

I just got mine on Tuesday. Steak for dinner and poached eggs the next morning were both (comparatively) quick and fantastic.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Just did scrambled eggs. 3 eggs, 1.5 Tbsp cream, .5 Tbsp butter, salt, beaten good and hard and into a bag at 167 for 10 minutes. Then take the bag out, squish it around, back in for 5 minutes.

Dear lord, this is literally the best $200 I've spent on a kitchen appliance.

Did the same for breakfast this morning, with a couple of dashes of hot sauce added. Delightful.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Chipotle chicken breast, skin on. Two chipotles in adobo and a pat of butter in the bag, 62.5 c for about an hour and a half. Into the pan for about a minute skin side down to crisp it up and then onto the plate- a bit of the adobo-butter juice from the bag.

Anybody else played around much with different temps for chicken? I find I like 62.5 c a bit better than 60 c/140 f, which is what Kenji recommends for chicken breast.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

It's a shame my SO is weird about eggs.

Sever

But seriously, I thought that getting my Anova would be all about meats (and fishes), but eggs are right up there. I think this weekend is going to be puddled steak and eggs breakfasts back to back.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

No Wave posted:

Double-bagging for long cook times should be in the OP - I double bag for all extended cooks. I've always puddled for either less than two hours or more than 12 hours so the distinction is usually pretty clear. I am truly sorry for your lots.

I've seen reference to really needing a vac sealer for long cooks, as opposed to ziploc'ing. True fact or malicious marketing ploy on the part of Big Vacuum?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

My concern re: ziplocs vs vac sealing is more about durability during a long cook, rather than plastic safety. Though sounds like double-bagging may be a nice stopgap before I pick up a vacuum sealer.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Tried tossing burgers in the puddle machine- mostly because they were on manager special at the grocery store.

Not a well composed photo, but I feel like this is the best sear vs. internal doneness contrast I've gotten since I got my Anova. It really is so important to get your pan & oil crazy hot before dropping in whatever you've pulled out (and dried thoroughly) from the bath.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I have the other three patties chilled and in the fridge, so subsequent burgin' should be even better.

I was thinking about something related to potentially cooking for a crowd- has anyone done multiple doneness stuff? I'm thinking you'd do your higher temp/more well done stuff, then drop your temp, add the rarer stuff and leave the more well done stuff in the now cooler bath. Is that a bad idea? Will it kill your dinner party guests with all sort of horrible bacteria?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I just finished off my sous-vided and fridged burgers, and I noticed a distinct difference between the one I had tossed in the pan right after it came out of the bath, and the others that had been in the fridge. Definitely a better distinction between the crust and the interior on the cold burgers.

I think I may just make a bunch of patties to puddle and then freeze and pull out and sear as needed/desired.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

geetee posted:

I could sit here and claim some sort of vacuum sealer superiority, but I'm just being honest about it. For sous vide purposes, it is unnecessary, and part of me wishes I knew about this before. That said, it's awesome for soups and has been 100% less finicky than my FoodSaver. Ziplock bags and the submerge-method is really all anyone needs, and possibly the best way.

I always thought that vacuum sealing had it's benefits for long term cooks- 72hr short ribs and the like, in terms of bag integrity. I know I've gotten worried about my ziplocs during the longer cooks I've done (~24 hours) and was planning on grabbing a FoodSaver or equivalent before I get into the multi-day stuff.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

So I've done steak and salmon and eggs and short ribs and chicken breasts. I'm trying to eat a bit less meat these days though, so I'm curious as to what seafood, other than salmon, works well in the puddle machine. Anybody have suggestions?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Just started a 48 hour chuck roast at 55.5 C. Salt & pepper, garlic powder, some soy sauce and Worcestershire and a couple of pats of butter. Hopefully Saturday dinner is a delight.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Thinking of doing a chuck roast in the sous vide for a day or two, any specific temp/time or application suggestions?

This is 48 hours at 55.5 Celsius. It was also dinner tonight. Just did salt/pepper, garlic powder, a bit of soy sauce and a bit of Worcestershire before hand, then salt and pepper again before searing.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I'm doing pork chops at 61 c and one of them seems to have some air in the vac pouch. Doesn't appear to have sprung a leak or anything- seems more like the chop has just shrunk a bit. They've been goin an hour at this point, probably an hour left before I want to pull them to sear. I figure I'm just going to give this one a sniff and as long as it doesn't smell bad, I'll use it. Is that a recipe for food poisoning?

Edit: smelled fine, eaten, tasted good, not dead yet

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 8, 2014

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

nuru posted:

My Anova came so I googled to get an idea of what my first thing should be:

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-steak

The hell? Salt and pepper after searing?

Some basic tinkering with the seasoning of your food is usually the final step to cooking just about anything?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Getting some water scale buildup on the heating element and impeller of my Anova. What should I use to clean it off?

Speculating wildly- I'm guessing basically run it in a vinegar/water solution for awhile, then wipe it down. That's what I used to do with my old Keurig to deal with scale.

And with a bit of googling- http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/56/how-to-descale-and-is-this-why-my-dev-unit-started-beeping-constantly it seems like that's what others have had success with.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The bigger concern with ziploc for long cooks for me has always been spillage/breakage of the bag, not flavor issues.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Kenji, at Serious Eats just did a whole SV chicken salad series about a month back. He recommends 150 and while I haven't tried his chicken salad recipe, I've generally found his SV temp suggestions to be about right for my tastes. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/06/the-best-classic-chicken-salad-recipe.html

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, that's why I asked, I got a whole range of temps. It seems people like to go a bit higher when the application of the chicken is cold (for sandwiches or salad), as opposed to hot. I'm thinking it's a texture thing?

Yeah, speaking from my own experience, dealing with 140 chicken that's cooled off doesn't do it for me. The texture is a little too close to what I associate with undercooked.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have a rack of pork back ribs and I am soliciting for rub, sauce, sous vide recommendations.

Tough to go wrong with Kenji's guide on SE- http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

the yeti posted:

145 for 36 then blasted in the oven with a mixture of sugar and paprika on top to get a little crust :swoon:

beautiful, now I gotta go buy some ribs

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

There are things I feel bad about turning to :filez: for, but Modernist Cuisine at Home was, speaking theoretically, not one of them.

CrazySalamander posted:

What I am hoping is that after his vegetarian/vegan one he puts together one for the advanced home cook- something in between his first book and the $500 set of Modernist Cooking.

This sounds really good- Food Lab is nice, but it's a lot of relatively minor refinements of recipes and reprints and slightly amusing anecdotes. It's not necessarily a challenge- which is a kinda douchey way to talk about a cookbook, but it's not like I'm setting out to cook through this one. Something a step up would be nice.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Definitely use butter in the bag. Time and temp for lobster is very much about preferred texture. All of the times are going to be relatively short. It's been a year plus since I messed with lobster, but I thought the Stefan guy was way too low at 115 and think I ended up going more like 130 for 15-20, for a relatively traditional texture.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I just re-packaged a pre-brined point cut of corned beef for consumption Thursday afternoon/evening. I've read through the Food Lab guide, which suggests 180 Fahrenheit for 10 hours and then an overnight rest. Kenji discusses other times/temps as well, but doesn't really go below 160 F. Chefsteps and Modernist Cuisine on the other hand both suggest temps in the 135-145 F range and a 48 hour cook.

I'm inclined to go with Kenji's suggestion to get something close to a traditional texture, but would welcome any suggestions from folks who've done corned beef other ways.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

the yeti posted:

I genuinely don't remember the time and temp combos I tried last year, but I suspect if you use kenji's suggestion a prebrined cut is going to be hellaciously soft after that hot and long.

Would you mind elaborating? This woman (http://tastingspoons.com/archives/7896) seems to have had success with 180F/10hr

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I just pulled it out of the fridge and made myself a sandwich. Delicious. I went with 175f/10 hours, so it's relatively traditional in texture, which is fine with me.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Relatively traditional isn't the same thing as "just like I cooked it in a crockpot." It appears that most crock pots run at 190 Fahrenheit or higher on the "low" setting (http://www.chowhound.com/post/cooking-temperatures-slow-cooker-725139). Being able to set 175 or 180 and keep it right there gets something that's similar in texture to traditional corned beef, but moister and more tender. The 3 temps example in the Food Lab piece is a good illustration. http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah, I got mine when I lived in Denver and I notice zero difference between puddling up there vs. back at sea level here on the east coast.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Any reason I shouldn't use mason jars to cook some chicken thighs in enchilada sauce? Seems a lot easier than trying to bag the liquid

I think you'll just need to make sure that you're filling the jars completely so you don't have a big air pockets screwing up the heat transfer. That sounds plausible, right?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

Have any of you ever puddled lobster tails? There doesn't seem to be much consensus on the interwebs about how long and how hot.

Yeah, I found that as well. I found one guy recommending 115 F, which looked like lobster sushi to me. The 135-140 F range has worked the couple of times I've done it. You get a recognizably cooked piece of lobster without it going rubbery.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

Cool thanks. How long did you soak it for? Also, did you bother with removing the shell first?

So I shocked it, in shell for a minute or two first, then removed the shell and puddled for about an hour. Probably could have gone less than that.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Pepper will burn at the really high temps.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I also just realized I forgot to pat dry the steak before I seared it so that probably contributed. Oops :v:

Think I'll try again tonight with a cheaper cut of beef, see if I can improve on what was already the most delicious steak I've had in like a decade; in ever if you only count my cooking.

Yeah, drying it with be a huge help.

I definitely suggest trying more inexpensive cuts- part of the appeal of sous vide is that you can make really cheap pieces of meat eat like they're way more expensive.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I actually did the turchetta for dinner tonight. Started yesterday afternoon and let it sit, bagged the fridge overnight before putting it in the bath this afternoon.

Really, really tasty. Messy and a good bit of work, but worth definitely doing as a project or special occasion meal. Having done it once, I think the whole skin removal and rolling will be easier next time.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

5436 posted:

Do you like it at restaurants?

Has anyone thought of doing this sous vide?

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12197-momofukus-bo-ssam

People definitely do pork shoulder sous vide. Kenji's got the BBQ version with liquid smoke, etc. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/food-lab-complete-guide-smoky-sous-vide-pork-shoulder.html

Time & temp should be pretty much the same for a bo ssam sort of preparation.. Just different spices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

hedgegnome posted:

Im going to be doing a turchetta for t-day next week. Im wondering how i should finish it, though. It looks like I could deep fry it, pan sear it, or use my searsall torch. Id prefer using the torch, but would deep frying provide a real benefit thats worth the effort/mess over the torch? Plus, i just got the torch and its awesome and i want to use it on everything all the time :D

So I'm guessing the torch is going to too tricky for poultry skin. I used a skillet on the one I made last weekend, but next time I think I'm going to deep fry.