Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Flank/australian flank/skirt/fajita steak is a spectacularly cheap cut to puddle cook for 24-48. Also if you're using grass fed beef I usually suggest aiming for the shorter end of time ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
It's 4.99/lb for the grassfed/local/actually really good beef I usually buy. Chuck is sometimes 3.59/lb but I have to ask for it since the butcher usually cuts in a way that doesn't produce chuck steaks.

Also I've never been really happy with my jaccard results compared to super thin cut and pounded anything.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
My work schedule has changed so I'm home rather late every night now and my tepid puddle machines have transformed from neat toys to indispensable pieces of hardware for keeping myself fed with good food. I've fallen in love with just making a pseudo-vegetable-stock by vacuum bagging a ton of veg and running them all day at 183F. A block of ice and a pat of butter adds enough moisture that you can actually get a cup or so of really good stock out of the bag while the veg themselves still have a very pleasant texture. Just tossing it with some rice/pasta/other starchy thing and alongside some beans or some meat that I'd sous-vide'd overnight the night before and put in the fridge really have saved me.

Yes I realize its pretty uninspired cooking, but at least I'm eating fresh and healthy despite working 60-70 hours a week.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Anyone have any experience/recipes for a good pork ballotine/galantine using a puddle machine? I've recently come into possession of a large quantity of 80% lean ground pork and the idea of meatloaf/balls/porkburgers seems boring and less interesting than making puddled force meat.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

No Wave posted:

Don't squeeze (it won't do much anyways). A lot of people like to leave on a rack overnight.

I haven't seen a perfect solution for this, either, and it's probably the main reason I don't vizzle absolutely everything.

Blow dryer.