Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking to puddle 2 whole beef tenderloins for a group in a couple of weeks. Anyone done one before and have suggestions and would there be any reason not to do it?
I was planning on following the same cook as I do for standard filets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Trader Joe's regularly has jars of ghee for cheap as well if anyone is looking for a place to buy it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Curious what you all are using for containers for long sessions? I have a large cambro, does that usually suffice or is a cooler much efficient if we are going for a couple of days? And if so, is there a recommended cooler that works well that I can slap on my amazon wishlist?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Buy a cheap chunk of eye of round, cook that thing to well done and just stick it next to the delicious tenderloin and tell them you chopped off a portion and made it well done for them. I bet they wouldn't know the difference, savages.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, I tried the Bluetooth controls and saw no real benefit to it. In fact it probably took longer for me to open the app and connect to the device and set the temp than just using the scroll wheel on it and set it and press start

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Sometimes grilling is just good fun. Obviously you can finish on the grill, but who wants to go outside and watch you sear something off on it for 30 seconds.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Back when I was making them (doctor says cholesterol is too high RIP) I used the recipe from skillet/lifehacker and it was pretty solid. I felt like the texture was always just a hair off from custard though, probably because I was lazy and just threw everything in a blender and let it rip to make it smooth which made it too frothy.

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/these-sous-vide-egg-bites-are-your-new-weekday-breakfas-1824008696

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Inspector 34 posted:

Well yeah, I'm sure we all know a person who'll happily eat an apple but won't touch a steak that's not well done. Or who think raw fish at a sushi place must be more safe since it's "sushi grade".

I always thought "sushi grade" just meant it was less likely to have parasites in the meat, nothing to do with bacteria.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Honestly, I thought this was a smashmouth reference. Now I feel like an idiot.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, if you let steaks go for too long, the texture gets a bit off, almost too soft. My wife doesn't notice it but I definitely do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

nwin posted:

https://www.grillgrate.com

I don’t use butter-I just get the grill nice and
Hot and then flip the steak a bit until I get the sear I want.

I love them-best thing I’ve bought for my grill in a long time.

Cleaning can be a pain if you use marinades/etc, but most of the stuff burns off and I can do a deep clean with soap every few months.

Well, guess I found the new upgrade for the genesis 300 I salvaged a few years ago.