Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
How about sous vide turkey breast for thanksgiving? I'm already confiting the legs.

Here is my tentative plan:

I whack the breasts off, brine them for 24 hours, ziplock them individually sans skin (save the skin), drop zliplocks into a cooler full of 140 degree water, watch the temp like a hawk and adjust with more boiling water and keep it at 140F (based on this), and then broil / crisp skin and perhaps the breasts themselves, slice, and serve.

An issue: the turkeys (two of them; I feed a lot of people) are about 20 pounds each, so these are rather large breasts I'm cooking and I have no idea how long to sous vide them for in order to cook to 140 the whole way through. This instructable says a minimum of three hours but I'm not sure. Does all day make sense? (10am to 6pm?) Will that result in baby food?

Is there something basic and obvious wrong with this plan? I plan to do a test run but I've never puddled before and I don't want to kill all my friends / prepare something gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

deimos posted:

The turchetta linked is breast so I have no idea why you even ask!

I looked up the recipe and I think I have a grasp on it, but goons tend to enumerate details that recipes leave out.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I am so excited to join this thread on the 26th because I know for a fact that my fiance got me a puddle machine and a vacuum sealer. :smug:

(He keeps trying to claim he got me 250 red plastic fish but I know I am pretty sure he is lying.)

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 23, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Anyone have thoughts on the Aqua Chef? (This sous vide system device thing.)

Based on this thread I believe it might be worth returning and getting an Anova instead, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the device. It's probably going to cost a lot to send back & get a vacuum sealer separately (or just use ziplocks) but the thing takes up a LOT of space and some stuff looks a bit sketchy on the parent company end of things. Can anyone speak to it? Is the Anova worth the pain of returning & ziplocking?

EDIT: I'm thinking yes but I hate to return an xmas present without a really good reason and I would like the internet to validate my feelings, please.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 29, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
All right, feelings validated. Back it goes in exchange for an Anova! Thanks, goons.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I made some eggs with my new device and they were some goddamn WIZARD poo poo. 62.5 degrees C for 45 minutes, dunked in simmering water for 15 seconds to finish setting the white; the yolks were creamy and custardy and perfect, which is just crazy. I also made sous vide meatloaf, which came out tender and amazing despite freestyling every part of it that was not the temp and time. (140 degrees F, 1:30)

My question: does altitude affect puddling at all? I'm in Denver, a mile up, and all my pasta takes a solid 1-2 minutes longer in the water to be correctly cooked, but I'm not versed enough in physics to figure out if lower than boiling temps are also different at higher altitudes.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I followed Kenji (blessed be his name) on pork chops, and they came out a bit dry--I did them at 140 for an hour and a half and then a 45 second hard sear on each side, but they just didn't come out as juicy as I was hoping. Unfortunately my chops didn't have much fat on them, so that's part of the problem; we bought half a pig, all local & humane & poo poo, but they trimmed way too much fat off the chops. I even put olive oil in the bag to assist but no dice. I still have lots of low-fat chops like this to work with and I'm hoping puddling can make them juicy despite being sadly almost free of fat. I'm thinking I should try 135 next time I puddle some, but my dude thinks I should go for 130. Thoughts?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Are you salting the bag? Try not salting beforehand, often times salting in sous vide has the effect of giving the meat a cured texture.

But in general, pig farms in the US have ruined pork chops because they bred the fat out of pigs.

I definitely salted beforehand, so that's good to know--might salt after. (I don't mind a cured texture, though, particularly in pork.) And I swear I've had fatty US pork chops! Just ... not these.

Chemmy posted:

I sous vide pork chops at 54C before hard searing. 60 is too well done for my taste.

I use like 2" thick niman ranch rib chops.

130 it is! I'll report back & see how they do.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Hauki posted:

Uh, refrigeration?

You still risk botulism that way I'm pretty sure, but some food scientist should tell me if I'm wrong.

Garlic confit is made over low heat, with a bunch of garlic in a pot--basically roasting it. It happens over heat and so comparatively quickly that there's no risk of botulism. This Saveur recipe shows the difference between confit and an infusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
What's the going recommendation for a vacuum sealer? I was poking around on Amazon hoping it'd be obvious, but it really isn't. Bonus points if there's some kind of compostable bag situation I can get on, because wasting all this plastic is weighing on my conscience.