Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've got a sauerbraten pickling now, using a bottom round roast. Considering doing it in the SVS at like 134 when it's ready. How long should it go?
Further, I'm thinking about just cooking it in the cure, I have it all in a gallon ziplock right now, and it's sealed up nicely with no air. Any reason this would be a dumb idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm just cooking for me so I think I'll do an experiment... Cut it into thirds, cook one in the schlemmertopf my dad got me for Christmas, one sous vide normally, and one sous vide still in the marinade.
Sauerbraten :science:!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Trip report on sous vide sauerbraten:
Cut the bottom round roast into three pieces after pickling, roasted the middle part in my Schlemmertopf last night. It was good, but I could have gone 3-4 hours instead of the directed 2 in the Schlemmertopf manual.
Water bath at 136 for 24 hours, one end in some marinade, one end dry.
Results:
Marinaded water bath version is tougher than all the others, and the marinade flavor is too strong overall, permeating the whole piece of meat. I imagine this is vinegar+protein+heat
Plain water bath version is the best, but an additional sear after it comes out would be best, I think. Definitely the juciest overall.
Schlemmertopf version was a relatively close second, but a bit dryer (still moist compared to other sauerbratens I've had), and like I said, should have gone another hour or so.