Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mindphlux posted:

I know the OP says 'go on ebay' for cheap bags, but could anyone point me to some tried and tested brands/sellers? running out of my foodsaver ones, and don't wanna pay a billion dollars when I can get the same thing for a reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063HVE18/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can probably get them cheaper than that if you really want to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

WhiteHowler posted:

Verdict: Success!

Two 10-ounce New York Strips just seasoned with a little salt and pepper. Into the bath at 137F for two hours. Took them out and seared in a hot skillet with a little canola oil.

It probably wasn't the best steak I've ever had, but it's certainly the best steak I've ever made.

The meat was pretty solidly Medium - I may try 135F next time. Also, I think I'll season it a bit more. The inside was juicy and full of flavor, but I like a salty/peppery taste on the outside. For those who do steaks often, do you typically season before puddling, before searing, or right before serving? Or all three?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has posted tips in this thread. I'm really excited about my new kitchen gadget.

Season before/after the sear, I also do steak at 130 and find that gets me a nice medium-rare if that's what you're after.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I think I'm going to lightly freeze my meat before puddling it going forward. Didn't notice some blood getting sucked through the seal when vaccing my brisket and now it's ruined. :negative:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It also beeps when it reaches temperature or when the water level drops too low.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CrazyLittle posted:

Is the food truly ruined if the contents leak out? Can you re-seal the bag and let it go to full pasteurization?

It was more the 20 hours of water leaking in that did it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tres Burritos posted:

What are the chances of my house burning down while I'm not watching this thing during the day?

I'm assuming there's no issue, but are there any extra precautions I should take? It's weird, I'm 100% comfortable leaving a slow-cooker on forever but leaving the sansaire unattended sort of makes me nervous.

I assume it works like the anova where it cuts out if there isn't enough water so the only concern is your bath evaporating and ruining your food.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Steve Yun posted:

Haha, what does a wifi scale even do? Alert your wife that you're cheating on your diet?

Push your weight up daily to a website/program that makes graphs and charts for you to look at, same reason those health watches have bluetooth.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Foodahn posted:

Related:

I bought an Anova (the original), I haven't received it yet but I have a question: what happens if the power goes off for a second or two? Is it basically '...welp'?

Yes, you need to plug it into a UPS if that's a concern.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mikey Purp posted:

What are your go to resources for SV recipes, temps and times, etc.?

I'm probably going to buy a copy of Under Pressure, but was wondering if anyone had any other books or sites that they prefer. Tangentially related: is Modernist Cuisine at Home worth the :10bux:?

http://citizensousvide.com/index.html

http://bagsoakeat.com/

are both fantastic.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

punissuer posted:

I know the answer is almost always "when in doubt, throw it out" but I am making pulled pork with pork shoulder cooking at 170 deg F and woke up this morning at the 10 hour mark to find about an inch of pork above water due to evaporation.

I was planning on stopping it at 12 hours but should I scrap it? My feeling was since the temperature of the bath was pretty high, the inch that was exposed would still be in the high 150s or 160 range.

Any thoughts?

There's no way that the inch dropped much below the temperature of the submerged portion, you're fine.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I use an ice chest to try to save a bit on electricity. Not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better about it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

toplitzin posted:

For those of us without a moist setting on our food savers, has anyone tried to freeze marinade/sauce/liquid in a small ziploc bag placed flat in the freezer, then putting the marinade "cube" in the bag, vac, then seal it, and then letting it thaw/marinate then puddle?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00395FHRO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1426306738&sr=8-2&keywords=large+ice+cubes&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

Is great for that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

In the URL

http://slickdeals.net/f/7882261-anova-percision-sous-vide-cooker-129-w-free-shipping

e: and the description

quote:

Anovaculinary.com has Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker w/ Bluetooth on sale for $179 - $50 w/ promo code LUVDAD = $129. Shipping is free. Thanks geezus

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can the Anova sit on the bottom of a pot or does it need clearance underneath?

If you can keep it stable it works perfectly sitting on the bottom.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does the pump on yours make intermittent noise? I'm used to polysci just making a steady hum, but this seems to make different sounds. Also, there was a distinct "electric" smell but that may have just been a first use thing.

It makes kind of a whirling noise but it's pretty steady in tone, it's much louder the closer you get to the 'min fill' line.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CrazySalamander posted:

Doesn't this just mean you need a better freezer though?

Buy a $20 vacuum sealer or a new freezer hmmm.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SubG posted:

The industrial process that used to be used to produce celluloid resulted in a slightly acidic residue in the final product. This caused the celluloid to slowly degrade over time. One of the ways this manifested itself was increased shock sensitivity, which would sometimes result in ping pong balls spontaneously igniting when struck.

Man just imagine how much more fun table tennis would be if at any time the ball might spontaneously ignite when the other guy hits it at you.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Oae Ui posted:

So, I'm trying to do bone-in skin-on chicken thighs for shredding. I thought I had a recipe for this but it turns out it's for breasts, not thighs. I'm having trouble finding a solid recipe or instructions for doing thighs like this. Has anyone else done this?

I'm seeing temps between 150 and 170 recommended with times from 1.5 hours to 12 hours...

I do bone-in skin-on thighs at 150 for 90 minutes and then sear them, but you should be able to shred them instead.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Since I don't have a chamber vac and I like using soy sauce in marinades, I bought some powdered soy sauce. Anybody ever use this stuff? If so, any advice?

I just freeze marinades I want to vac seal.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DARPA Dad posted:

Can I puddle stuff in my Dutch Oven? It's enameled cast iron. I know cast iron skillets don't like water but what about the Dutch Oven?

Sure but why? Get something that will hold in heat rather than radiating all over the place.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DARPA Dad posted:

Okay, thanks guys for saving me from doing something horrible

Just go down to Walmart and get a $10 beer cooler, cut a hole in the lid. Done.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cultural Imperial posted:

I don't have a vacuum sealer. That's probably most of the problem.

I SV frozen vacuum sealed meat constantly so that's probably it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Plastik posted:

Foodsaver Gamesaver on sale at Amazon. If I don't have a vacuum sealer is this a worthwhile investment?

Help me goons, I cannot buy anything without your prior approval.

I wake up every morning wishing I had a sport vacuum sealer instead of a regular one.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Doing chefsteps 104F salmon and it's goddamn weird being able to put my hand directly into the water, it barely even qualifies as warm.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ola posted:

The bags are more permeable the higher the temps are. I can smell carrots at 85C after just a few minutes, but it doesn't matter much for the final product.

This is exactly my experience, I can smell stuff at higher temperatures / after a very long time but I haven't seen water get into/out of the bag.

e: Just using these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I1OM7TO

uPen fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 15, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AnonSpore posted:

I've tried that before. The inside was still cold and the fat congealed by the time the outside was seared.

Take it out of the fridge for 20+ minutes first.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mr. Wookums posted:

iirc father's day had a sale last year but I do not recall what it was.

Same price as this, $30 off.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Can't comment on the chamber sealer but I freeze soup by freezing it in a silicone mold then popping the soup cube out of the mold and vacuum sealing that using a traditional sealer.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ciaphas posted:

How does that change when you're gonna freeze some of it? Seems a bit of a faff to vacuum, freeze, thaw, open, salt, vacuum, cook again; be nice if I could just salt, vac, and freeze then cook in the same bag later without ruining the meat.

(ed) And yeah I'm talking about short cooks like chicken breasts or whatever, I haven't forayed into anything longer than two hours yet.

I SV chicken thighs seasoned with salt, pepper and some lemon in large batches. Once they're cooked they go into an ice bath and then into the freezer. Toss them back into the SV at ~150 for 20 minutes then sear for nights where I don't want to cook anything.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone use one of these Oliso vacuum sealers? Kenji seems to like them and my FoodSaver is acting up after several years of sterling service (:()

Those bags cost over $1 a pop.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Steve Yun posted:

Kenji's rib recipe says to cook at 165°F for 12 hours.

Chefsteps' rib recipe says to cook at 167°F for 4 hours, and Meathead Goldwyn of AmazingRibs.com has endorsed their ribs.

It's entirely possible that 12 hours is too long. Despite telling lots of newbies that you can't overcook when you sous vide, I've noticed a lot of times when I let a steak cook for eight hours or longer, even though it doesn't get the traditional overcooked dry texture it gets a different kind of overcooked dry texture.

I've always done 160* for 12-18 hours with ribs and finish on the grill or under the broiler for a few minutes. They come out juicy and very tender (probably too tender) but I always have a marinade or a sauce in the bag with them rather than a dry rub like I'd do if I was smoking.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
https://meh.com

Nice sealer for $22. I've had 2 of these, one lasted about 2 years and the second (which was refurbished) lasted around 6 months.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
On a semi-related topic, anyone made bread?

http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/re...5-99938885&ct=t(Halloween_Recipes_Email)&goal=0_f33347b916-889bf41885-99938885&mc_cid=889bf41885&mc_eid=d6fbd116fe

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Boosh! posted:

I'll try this thanks. My new apt's burners are kind of weak and thus, my crusts have been subpar since the move. Unacceptable!

If you've got a charcoal grill get a chimney and you can sear directly on top of the chimney in like a minute then dump the coals and grill some veggies/fish/whatever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My oven can get up to like 500F, my stove can't get anywhere near that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Serious Eats sous vide turkey breast is also extremely easy and people love it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Google Butt posted:

Ah okay, thanks! The guides I've looked at give a range from 1-4 hours, how do you decide on a cook time?

It doesn't matter, that range gives you basically the same thing. If you cooked it for 12 hours it would start to break down and not really feel like a chop anymore.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Knifegrab posted:

What is the big difference between cast iron and carbon steel?

I hate dealing with cast iron because I never know how to clean it? I am not supposed to use soap so how do I prevent it from getting gross? Also eventually I have to re-season it but I never know when.

You can use soap, it's just a piece of metal with really really overcooked oil on the outside. Scrub it clean and wipe it down with oil and stop worrying about it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Crunkjuice posted:

What would you guys experiment with that sous vide makes drastically different from other cooking methods? I've done multiple steaks now, but I'm curious to experiment with other stuff.

Hard/soft/poached eggs, carrots, asparagus are all interesting SV. https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-104-f is a weird SV only recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Carrots and asparagus are the only veggies I've done. It's neat but not worth the effort or the bag.