Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mikey Purp posted:

For those of you who own Keller's Under Pressure, is this the kind of book that would be helpful to the home cook who owns an Anova and wants to use his puddle machine for mostly simple weekday preparations, or would it be cozying up on my bookshelf next to the Alinea cookbooks? If so, any other recommendations?
It would probably be cozying up to Alinea, it kind of does on my shelf. It's pretty, there's a lot to look at and some useful information, but I don't find it incredibly practical for day to day use. Some of the recipes are more approachable than others of course but I've pretty much skipped all of the fruit/veg ones as I don't have a chamber sealer to compress poo poo. I don't have any specific recommendations on books though, I tend to reference a bunch of different things based on what I'm doing - generally I just do meats, pick a cut and a target time/temp and make the rest up as I go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

Vacuum sealer. Foodsaver 48zillion or whatever Costco is selling. I've only used it a few times now but I've noticed it seems to let a little (very little, but any at all seemed somewhat counterproductive) air back into the bag when it stops sucking and starts sealing. It really seems to me like there's more air in the bag than could possibly have been there at the start but perhaps all the little bubbles really do add up. I'll know in a few hours I suppose.
Hm, I have the same sealer I think and I've never had a bag swell up while cooking.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Winged a galbijim (var sp~) recipe for 48hr svizzle, gonna be out of the bath in time for dinner tonight. Can't decide if I should finish them on a super hot grill or just sear off in a pan though. Will reduce the remainder of the braise to a sauce, serve with steamed rice, lettuce cups & the kimchi I started a few months ago. Probably some other last minute sides. Any input//suggestions as to finishing or sides?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chiming in to say my SVS started to corrode instantly - both the aluminum plate and a couple little spots on the lining of the SVS itself. Never got a reply when I sent an inquiry about it to their customer service. It also has a 2F margin of error according to my thermapen/other thermometers, which seems pretty relevant when you're trying to hit a specific consistency/texture on an egg or something.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chemmy posted:

The coating on the inside of the bath is also eaten away by the corrosion. The inside of the bath, as well as the heat spreader plate, is corroded.
Same with mine. I bought mine two or three years ago when they were on sale.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Straker posted:

So uhh the Anova people are kinda taking advantage of the "holy crap everyone wants one there arent enough slots for people to back this" thing and introduced multiple cooker incentives (or whatever you want to call them). I couldn't originally get in until like $145 so I just went for the $540 5-pack. If anyone missed out on the earlier tiers and just wants one I'll have 3 or 4 to get rid of cheap :v:
Also interested in one if you find yourself with one spare, or if anyone else goes for a bulk pack. I already have an SVS, but I'd definitely like to replace it for a number of reasons. I suppose I'd end up keeping both anyway for multiple concurrent temps, but the SVS is lacking a lot of features for frequent use.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, so much for being able to use mine for thanksgiving dinner. Maybe by Christmas I guess.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I still have an e-mail promising my unit would be shipped in early november with no update since :colbert:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Two days sounds gross for flank steak frankly. Modernist cuisine recommends a core temp of 133F for flank, which I imagine you can hit in under an hour due to its relative thinness. If it were me personally, I'd start with 133F for 4 hours and see how that turned out, but I tend to prefer my steaks to have a bit more texture.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I finaaaallly got my anova, packaging looked sweet, the steel cover part had all sorts of weird stains that don't wash off and the display is scratched to poo poo and beyond. I'm debating just using the loving thing since its been so long since I paid for it and contacting them and seeing if I can get it replaced. The matte black plastic bits look straight out of the factory though.

In any case, I hope it's an upgrade from my SVS.

In slightly related news, I have a bunch of short ribs standing by.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bob_McBob posted:

:ssh: Take the protective plastic off the display.
The first thing I did was pick all around the edges and it didn't seem like there was anything there to peel back. I'll check again I guess.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Schpyder posted:

PSA: the Anova iOS app is now live on the App Store.

Weird, it's not showing up in a search of the App Store, and directly clicking your link takes me a to a blank page, but copy pasting it seems to work fine.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Woof! Woof! posted:

Get transglutaminase, adhear bacon to the steak while both are still raw, put it in the water bath, sear the entire thing afterwords.
It's a bit sketch as the USDA "done" temps for pork are higher than steak, but I'm a badass anyways.

eh, what the gently caress ever, the usda is absurdly wrong about pork, more so than other meats, and the bacon will hit a higher temp anyway during the sear.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

That poo poo they said about "bagless sous vide" cracked me up. Sorry, if you're heating something directly in a pot as billions of people around the world do on a daily basis, it's not sous vide and you probably shouldn't call it that. Most people would just call it cooking.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Don't buy this under any circumstances.

Yeah, I've got one that I still use as a secondary, but I can't recommend it in light of any of the actual home circulators that have come out in say, the past four or five years.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

yeah, mine also started to corrode, although so far its mostly that bottom perforated thing more than the actual walls of the unit itself.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

If you're a huge nerd and you want to cosplay Kenji Lopez-Alt, use a Cambro. If you're in your house, use a drat stock pot. Throw an aluminum foil lid on that poo poo if you're doing a >24hr cook.

FYI if you're using a stainless steel stock pot as most people have, aluminum foil will corrode/dissolve if it's in contact with the bath for any length of time during the cook. The center sagged in overnight the last time I did that and even though I had plastic wrap under the foil, there was enough moisture that there were giant holes in the foil the next morning.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

drukqs posted:

yeah what do you all think about those plastic balls they sell to supposedly keep heat in? I take it foil is just as good, and at a fraction of the price?

You can also use regular ping pong balls which are dirtass cheap and reusable unlike foil.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

I was so excited I brought it into work to show off. Of course, nobody in work knew what it was, and after explaining it a few times I gave up and just told people it was a giant battery vibrator. :v:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

toplitzin posted:

I keep running into this as well. i know in my heart of hearts that I've pasteurized the meat and it should be, for all intents and purposes, shelf stable for weeks under refrigeration.
Then my food safety brain kicks in and goes ITS BEEN TEN DAYS! YOU GONNA DIE!

Yeah, depending on what exactly your time/temp was, it should be totally safe but I still can't shake the thought of "uh, this has been sitting in the fridge for how long?" Obviously that changes once you pop open the pouch though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

What is the secret for garlic confit that doesn't turn deadly?

Uh, refrigeration?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

anova-ts8s266a

Tentatively grabbing this one.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Has anyone tried SE's brisket and/or chuck? Seeing quite a few comments from people whose meat turned out really dry following those instructions.

I did the brisket anova linked, which I think might be the same recipe (from kenji?). It was... Okay. I had a 3.5# brisket flat and scaled the other stuff to that by weight. I think I did about 30h at 155F and the texture was fine at that point, straight out of the bag. I smoked it over apple wood for two hours at 300F to finish, and it was definitely much drier after that. I think that was either too long, too hot or both. I wasn't very happy with the way the bark came out either.

Lastly, I think I used like 1/3rd of the salt called for total (after scaling down), still split between a rub before sv and a rub pre-smoke. It was still close to being over-seasoned. I made the mistake of using the bag juice in my sauce, also per their suggestion, and that was super loving salty, like inedible so, until I cut it with a bunch of other stuff. All things considered it was still better than some brisket I've had, but it needs a lot of tweaking still to be great.

Edit: another thing I noticed was my flat brisket had a decent fat cap, like a half inch thick. How much, if any of that would you guys trim? I didn't trim much at all because there was no mention of doing so and I figured I'd keep it for flavor and moisture, but I also saw theirs doesn't really appear to have as much of a fat cap in the pictures they published with the recipe.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 23, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I like to use the pork brine from ad hoc, and then I'm pretty sure I did 2 hrs somewhere between 132 & 135. Might depend on the size. These were relatively small. I've finished it a few ways including grilling, torching the whole loin, broiling/roasting the whole thing or slicing and pan searing. I've also used the same method with the fig & fennel stuffed loin out of ad hoc.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

So after a year and change I've finally bought a dremel to cut a lid instead of halfassing my lid with plastic wrap. What's a good lid to buy for this cambro?

this is what I got & it fits fine. I used a hole saw to cut mine though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Anyone know what diameter hole cutter is perfect for anova? My lid shipped today :)

I used a 2.5" hole saw and it worked great.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

snyprmag posted:

Make sure you're using kosher salt and not table when using his recipes. Kosher takes up more volume so if you do a strait trade for table salt it'll be twice the amount of actual salt. They should probably point this out more of the website cause it seems like a lot of people make that mistake.

No, that recipe is just inedibly salty. I think I cut it in half going in because someone else warned me of that and I still found it over the top. I don't even keep table salt at home.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

large hands posted:

I haven't tried that particular one but i would heed the standard Kenji warning and try it with half the salt the first time. His SV corned beef was almost inedibly salty when i made it to the recipe.

I've made that exact recipe and yes, halve the salt (at least). Straight out of the sous vide texture & moistness were great, post smoking it was a little dry so I'd either try for a colder smoke or a shorter time or both. I don't remember exact details now, I made it in June or something.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I use Diamond and he's still way too salty.
yup

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Trying the sous vide carnitas thing posted above, I did the ones out of modernist cuisine a while back and was fairly disappointed compared to the old school recipe I use normally, so I hope these turn out better. I did modify the seasoning a little bit, way less cinnamon plus a few extras. Went for the middle time/temp range, 72.5c for 18-20 hours depending on when we want to eat tomorrow. I like that on this recipe he stepped back to "season generously" instead of calling for like two and a half loving ounces of kosher salt are you kidding me for a 4-5# cut of meat.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tried the carnitas recipe posted above, texture was good after a quick fry in cast iron but flavor was off. I guess I'll try my own seasoning next time and just use the same time/temp.

Also yeah my orange was super juicy and even splitting the recipe into 4 1# bags with a quarter orange each and manually vaccing I had to do a second seal (and my drip tray overflowed).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I might just make recado rojo and rub the pork with that next time, that's probably closer to the flavor profile I'm looking for and much easier to deal with as far as sous vide goes.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

When people complained that the Baking Steel was too expensive, I told them they could go to a steel mill and get one made for $40. He compared it to going to a junk yard and finding a dirty car door to cook on

lmao what a tool

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

This week I've been drinking coffee that came out of a weasel's butt in Singapore. I prefer poop coffee to industrial coffee because weasel colons use natural enzymes and processes instead of scary industrial chemicals
:discourse: :coffeepal:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Nah. I mean, I don't get the point of that recipe because it says "Whatever you do, DO NOT use a food processor, electric mixer, or blender – due to the starch in the potatoes, if you over mix the potatoes you’ll end up with a gluey texture." But one of the great things you can do sous vide is retrograde starch. Regular mashed potatoes, if you whip them too much will turn to glue because you start to break up the starch granules and the starch leaks out of them. But if you heat the potatoes to 160 for 30 minutes, and then cool them back down, the starch gelatinizes and then that won't happen. Then you can boil them as per usual and whip the hell out of them to the creamiest softest consistency you want and they won't turn into wallpaper paste. It's more of a potato puree than regular mashed potatoes.

Yeah, having done it a couple times myself, I'm not gonna say it's necessarily worth the time or extra effort involved, but there is a distinct purpose and reason behind it. I've seen way stupider poo poo for sure.

I think modernist cuisine was the first place I saw it, and that was years ago now.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

I know brisket was discussed here a while back but I can't see it looking a few pages back. Is the seriouseats recipe all right to follow?

It's okay but I would use literally like 1/4-1/3 of the salt he calls for and then maybe add a little to taste if absolutely necessary.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

namaste faggots posted:

Anyone tried sv coffee? It looks stupid.

the gently caress

why

Hauki
May 11, 2010

There's also Japanese style iced coffee which takes the same amount of time as a normal pourover and is imo better than coldbrew anyway

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Norns posted:

I'd try anything to make magic mushrooms taste better

honey yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

What about trying them wet. Steam those hams.

Gotta keep those juices in

re: garlic, yeah, raw cloves don't seem to do as well as dried granulated or whatever for that purpose.
I'm surprised about the rosemary though, usually herbs get pretty intense in the bag. I normally underseason relative to other cooking methods.