Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Does anyone have insider info on the Sansaire? Their last blog post and twitter updates are from 26th October. New purchases are still indicating 18th November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I'm tempted to cancel my Sansaire pre order from a month a go, and just go with an Anova.
Shipping seems a bit steep at $70 to the UK with the Anova, but the Sansaire gang have gone so quiet, I'll be VERY surprised if I receive it this year now.

Reviews have only been from preproduction models of the Sansaire, but there's really not that much between the two of them is there. I'd prefer not to have to deal with a touch screen, but I'm sure I can live with it.

Is it worth me hanging on until the 18th to see if we do get any more updates, or should I just go make the switch?
My worry is I'd imagine an unsatisfactory update from sansaire over the next couple of weeks could see a load of people quickly going for the Anova instead and hitting their stock levels, where I might miss out on one of them too if I'm not quick enough!

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Just received an email from Sansaire saying release date pushed back to Jan 30th.

Will post up the email later if anyone is interested?

e: vvvvv yeah that's it. Bummer.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 17, 2013

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
What's the deal with putting a splash of stock in with a steak instead of salt? Maybe mixed with a knob of butter?

Could it end up a little /too/ tasty?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I see the sansaire blog is saying they've started shipping an initial batch to various warehouses around the world.
With one being in London I'm guessing I won't have any customs charges to pay on receipt. Which I think I would have had to pay had I cancelled and opted for the anova instead. I suppose that's one bonus of having to wait so long. (Ordered in October)

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Has anyone come across, or compiled, a decent set of "sous vide for convenience" type recipes. Along the lines of the curry in a bag mentioned a few pages a go.

I'd love to be able to bulk prep for the week, either pre cooking at the weekend and chill or sticking in a bag ready to puddle the morning of. But I've not had enough puddling practise yet, so wondering if there's some tried and tested meals in a bag?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the closest alternative cut for short ribs in the UK?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I bagged some pork loin medallions with a splash of oil and did them at 60deg for very nearly 2 hours. I was going to serve them seared whole with some veg but the other half then tells me they were bought for a stir fry.

I cubed them up and then browned them off. They had a nice enough flavour but they weren't particularly pleasant in texture.

I wish I'd tried a bit before browning to see if they were any different then. But I'd be surprised if they were significantly 'better' before hand.

Wrong time or wrong temp? Or just not a meat cut where sous vide gets the best out of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
It all makes perfect sense, I did expect them to over cook, but not that significantly.
Though it was worse than if I'd just straight up over cooked them in the wok.

I'm just going to blame the o/h for changing the meal plan mid cook.

It's my fault, I know.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 2, 2014