Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What is a good meal to sous vide for some vegetarians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm imagining tofu curry or something indian would work pretty well. I am basically just trying to show off the thing tbh.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

Would there be a difference if I put in the meat/eggs/veggies in while the water heats up (starting from not-cold water) versus putting them IN only after the water comes to temp, which is what I'm doing now?

The difference it makes is probably negligible, although this comes from intuition because I have no idea what I'm talking about. Cooking sous vide, you set the water to the maximum allowed temperature, and wait a long time for the food to get to that temperature throughout. Since the temperature is never high enough to burn the food, it's a question of if you want it to cook slowly or quickly, which is an orthogonal problem more related to the ingredients involved. With eggs for example, you will want to start from cold, because the temperature shock can crack the shells. With a steak it doesn't really make a practical difference.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

sterster posted:

From my understanding if you have a bacteria problem it's usually on the surface of the product or near surface. I don't know if there is a difference for eggs though. If your getting it sourced from a known location too you're probably fine.

I don't appreciate you judging me for eating eggs from the stormdrain

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Nephzinho posted:

I never would have thought to sous vide a burger, is it remotely worth the effort?

Having made several SV burgers, I don't think so. They're good burgers, but not as good as conventional techniques. SV has strengths, and burgers aren't one of them. You need to deal with the compression issue that was mentioned, and still sear it after, so you might as well have started out with searing it and made a (far superior) smash burger. The benefits of precision cooking aren't realized when the meat is ground and thin.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Ah poo poo. I just realized that I put some fresh garlic in with the shanks I’m cooking for 48 hours. Am I about to kill people?

E: They’ve been in about 18, I’ll rinse and repack them and then figure out if I need a whole new meal for Saturday.

E2: actually, reading stuff like https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/is-it-safe-to-use-raw-garlic-in-sous-vide makes me feel better. I’m cooking at 143F, and the water was hot when stuff went in.

still, :ohdear:

You'll be fine, everything says botulism dies at 121 for 3 minutes or so. I do wonder why garlic is more of a concern than onions or other similar vegetables though? Can't anything have botulism?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
More importantly, I'm curious if the garlic cooked well and tastes good. I tried making onion soup in SV once. Do not recommend.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DI342B4

(Canadian link)

Is this a good buy for both sous vide and for general preservation? Mostly solids but maybe also soft things or liquids?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DI342B4

(Canadian link)

Is this a good buy for both sous vide and for general preservation? Mostly solids but maybe also soft things or liquids?

I got this instead in case anyone cares

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073DGT7XY/

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lawnie posted:

I have some well-done wanters in the house otherwise I’d do the whole thing SV.

Ask them politely, yet firmly, to leave.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Am I the only one unreasonably annoyed by calling an immersion circulator a sous vide? I mean, at least half of people who cook sous vide these days aren't actually cooking sous vide anyway. And now that's what we're calling the device that's made for it. It's very triggering. I'm going to need a moment.

"A sous vide" has never made sense anyway. The term describes the method of cooking. The reason people call immersion circulators "sous vides" is because people like us define "a sous vide" as "a device you use to cook something sous vide."

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 6, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I guess this is similar to the discussion above about freezing. My plan is to freeze a lot of chicken thighs in vacuum bags, and then cook them straight from frozen by dropping them in the water bath. If I want to make things like butter chicken out of them, should I:

- freeze and cook with the sauce
- only season and cook without the sauce
- neither because I should cook with sauce but not freeze it

xtal fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 4, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

Why not just make the butter chicken and then freeze it in portions?

I imagined that would taste less fresh but they might be exactly the same, especially with that recipe...

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Most devices (including that one IIRC) start their timer right when it reaches temperature. If you wanted to time it accurately and drop it in at temperature, you would need to sit there while it preheats, drop it in, wait for it to come back to temp, and then start the timer.

With eggs it might also depend on if they come from the fridge or room temp.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fritzler posted:

My GF gave me an anova sous vide for my birthday over the weekend. Made a NY strip to test it out tonight, it came out really well. Could've seared a bit better, but really liked it. She wants to try making our own starbucks sous vide egg bites. Anyone have a recipe for that or something similar? Googling people don't seem to really be sous viding them. Most things I'm googling have instant pot instead.

You can definitely sous vide them but remember they're more cottage cheese than egg.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Anjow posted:

I just got a cheap immersion circulator and did some very thick cut bacon in it at 63C for 13h. I'd laid it in a ziploc bag in a single layer, but if I was going to do this in the future on a larger scale would it really matter if it was in a single layer, provided there's still no air?

With bacon specifically, it might end up cooking together and tearing apart when you separate it. It wouldn't change the cooking process itself and it doesn't matter for things that are thicker or less fatty than bacon.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hasselblad posted:

I mean, if the goal is pork belly slurry to be eaten through a straw, I can dig it. Different strokes and all. Just curious what the goal actually is.

Its just to make the house smell nice, like a bacon candle

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yep

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ultimate Mango posted:

Are we allowed to talk about the Anova Precision Oven here? Because holy poo poo. I’ve done omelettes, asparagus, and bakes potatoes and I’m a convert.

Omelette texture like Modernist Cuisine promised and I’ve never achieved. Impossibly soft and fluffy. Tender crisp asparagus. Fluffy interior and crunchy skin on a potato.

I can’t wait to make a chicken.

Stop saying this, I just bought a different oven!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Are the bags breaking where you are fusing them or because something is puncturing them?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

toplitzin posted:

Take about a quarter to half the salt off.
Kenji L O V E S salt.

Not really, are you sure you're using kosher salt?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I could believe all of you were using the wrong salt, since its a common criticism and I think he made a video about how everyone was using the wrong salt. But hey, I'm not gonna force feed you salt if it's not important for the recipe. You could probably reduce the amount of salt even further if you replace some with MSG.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I like my instant pot circulator much more than my anova. The extra cost of the anova is just for an app or wifi which I consider useless; the wifi one has IoT design problems; and mine fell apart which is why I bought the instant pot one to replace it.

xtal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 10, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SubG posted:

There's an Instant Pot model with a circulator? I thought they just relied on convection, like a SVS.

Not a criticism, mind you--the puddle machine I've used the most over the years is my venerable first-gen SVS.

There's a circulator made by the Instant Pot brand that fits on the Instant Pot product, but it works with any pot.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, 72 hour short ribs are one of the most famous Modernist Cuisine recipes. More info here https://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/72-hour-braised-short-ribs/

quote:

Cooking the ribs at 62 °C / 144 °F for 72 hours will result in a tender, flaky meat with a pink hue, but you may prefer a different color or texture. By varying the cooking time and temperature, you can produce dramatically different textures. For example, to achieve the color and texture of medium-rare steak, cook the ribs sous vide at 58 °C / 136 °F for 72 hours. For something in between, cook the ribs at 60 °C / 140 °F, as we did in this recipe. For a very flaky temperature similar to a traditional braise, cook them at 88 °C / 190 °F for just 7 hours.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
150-160 (I think I normally do 150) is much closer to what people will think of as a perfectly cooked chicken breast. Very juicy and tender. You might like the lower temperature, and maybe even think it's better, but it will be unlike you've had before (since sous vide is the only way to cook a chicken that low) and some people find it off-putting. Less tender and still having a bit of the raw sliminess.

xtal fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 5, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Thoughts on sous vide butter chicken vs instant pot? Secondary question: cook the chicken in the complete sauce, or cook it in a yogurt marinade, then toss in sauce from a stovetop?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I once made that recipe but misunderstood it, I started with the butter and slowly added the egg yolk. Did not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Liquid nitrogen will kill you, haven't you seen GoldenEye?