Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011

Straker posted:

So uhh the Anova people are kinda taking advantage of the "holy crap everyone wants one there arent enough slots for people to back this" thing and introduced multiple cooker incentives (or whatever you want to call them). I couldn't originally get in until like $145 so I just went for the $540 5-pack. If anyone missed out on the earlier tiers and just wants one I'll have 3 or 4 to get rid of cheap :v:

also: recently SVed like 12 pounds of ribeye in 6 bags for a camping trip, just plugged half of a double sink and used that as a cooking vessel, worked great. I don't know why anyone would complain about the cooking volume of an Anova, I'm sure it could keep a goddamn barrel of water hot as long as the barrel isn't metal with fans blowing on it.

I'd take one off your hands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
Made a pretty tasty burger today. Patty was 80% ground chuck and I used about 2/3 of a pound. I wanted it especially meaty. Finished the sear with a shallow fry in a cast iron. Rest of ingredients were a slice of smoked gouda, buttered sesame seed bun, gem lettuce, red onion, kewpie mayonnaise, and a tomato slice that's hiding somewhere.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

shoulda blowtorched that cheese

Yeah I would have if I had a blowtorch :(

I didn't even bother to melt it all the way in the broiler. I was SO hungry and barely managed to take a picture before I shoveled it into my mouth.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011

ShadowCatboy posted:

How the hell did you even manage to cram that monstrosity into your maw? Are you an anaconda capable of unhinging your jaw or something? :stare:

oh it was a complete mess. but delicious.

Honestly though, this was one of my first sous vide ventures and I have a lovely electric coil stove and no blowtorch so I thought that my post waterbath sear would be disastrous if the meat wasn't thick enough. In retrospect a shallow fry in my cast iron only took like 30 sec on each side to get a decent crust and minimal grey band edges. I'll do a 1/2 lb patty next time.

hoshkwon fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 26, 2015