Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I believe we do. Doing some googling I added "check the water heater thermostat" to my to do list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I built a new house in California last year so a mixing valve set to 120 is mandated. Couple degree loss from the heater to the tap and I'm going off memory seems right.

Thanks for the water heater concern but the point remains: if your hot tap is about the right temp for sous vide why are you waiting for a tiny puddle machine to heat up the water from cold?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

55C is 131F.

The mixing valve mixes in cold water because you can get Legionnaire's Disease from water held at like 115F in a tank.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm a rebel. I eat un-pasteurized meat.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's real gross but a far different situation than "if you don't pasteurize your steak why even cook it?".

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I just leave the lid off, but I haven't vizzled for more than a few hours with my Sansaire.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sansaire Supremacy

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

But seriously it's not likely anyone bought both, I'd buy whichever seems cooler to you they're both fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MAPP torch.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It might be unpleasantly mushy.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cambros stack and I don't care how much electricity the cooker uses so it being insulated isn't important.

I spent $11 on my cambro at a restaurant supply store.

Someday I'll acquire critical thinking skills.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm really happy with my Sansaire, anecdotally.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

WhiteHowler posted:

The meat was pretty solidly Medium

I puddle at 52C, unbag, dry, sear hard in cast iron, then I put it on a cutting board, spread a pat of butter and hit it with a lot of black pepper before tenting with foil.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

On a Cambro the wall is tilted out enough that clipping the Sansaire to it and letting it rest on the bottom works fine for me.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Might be worth gambling on the $229 tier which includes a prototype unit plus a retail unit.

If the proto keeps working that's a good deal.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Does sous vide have any potential for dessert-making? That's really more my area of interest and these machines are so cool, but I'm a little lost at what kind of sweets they could help produce other than maybe like custards and puddings.

I made a custard sous vide and then turned it in to ice cream the other night.

You could probably temper chocolate in a sous vide bag.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Are prescription drugs paleo or does that go out the window if someone gets sick?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah it won't matter. You're fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's the temperature for rare steak.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Under Pressure is a cool book but I agree that ultimately it's not terribly useful as a first SV book.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I also bought a Searzall.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The SVS Demi is a pile of poo poo. It was fine when the only other option was a $700 Polyscience unit, but that's not the case any more.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If anyone in the Bay Area wants my corroded SVS Demi I'll meet you somewhere to get it out of my house.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Is it functional, just ugly/corroded?

It's not even that ugly, aside from the metal insert that's supposed to be a heat spreader.

It works as well as any SVS.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah but we don't see any atlantic fish, oysters or any decent crawfish

Do you mean Atlantic oysters? There's tons of oysters here.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

This place is a kinda chain seafood place out here and they have east coast oysters:

https://www.thefishmarket.com/menus/downloadable%20menus/dm_sampleoysterbar.pdf

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

ShadowCatboy posted:

Akaushi Wagyu beef grass-fed ribeye. poo poo was 24$ a pound, but I'm gonna make it worth every cent. I've read up on cooking grass-fed beef and I've heard 6-8 hours in the puddle machine at 130* F. That sound right?

Where's the marbling?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Test Pattern posted:

OK. Should I worry about air in the headspace? IE: Do I want the attachment to evacuate a mason jar using my foodsaver?

The air is bad because it will insulate a little bit. Vacuum would insulate even more. I wouldn't worry too much.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Keller pretty explicitly states that he ran butter through the immersion circulator. It's a terrible decision for us for a lot of reasons but he did it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

.Z. posted:

That kinda irks me. I still haven't seen an email, and given Prime I would probably receive a Searzall faster if I ordered it from Amazon now.

Same. I got my email last night but I wouldn't have waited really any longer to get it if I had kept my money.

Oh well.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They just sent this out:

quote:

Dear Backers,

We were extremely disturbed to learn that Amazon decided to start selling the extra inventory of Searzalls without our authorization prior to completing the fulfillment of your orders. Rest assured, we have removed the listing that was posted, and Amazon has cancelled all pending orders. Also rest assured that Amazon has enough Searzalls in inventory to fulfill all of your orders. We do not think it is appropriate to sell ANY Searzalls until ALL the Kickstarter and Shopstarter orders have been shipped and we never intended to.

Booker and Dax

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

McSpergin posted:

I like shopping and already have everything I want so I feel like I should get a Searzall, if I don't already have a torch what exactly is best to use it with in terms of gas + torch?

The intended torch is a TS-8000 with the 16.4oz camping size propane tank.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My cambro was like $8 at a restaurant supply store and I use it for a bunch of stuff when I'm not vizzling. It's neat.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Sous bidet might have a clog and need a plunger

Poo vide.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

Just add them one at a time and let it recover before putting the next one in.

If you know their starting temp and weigh them you could start the bath above temp and turn it down to the desired temp when you add them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

I think I've settled on getting a Sansaire but am curious, does its clip work reasonably well with Cambro containers?

I use a Sansaire and a cambro and am very happy.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I do not have any balls of my own.

:eyepop:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Did you sear afterwards? What temperature did you cook to?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Were they tough, or was the color wrong? I find if you want a sous vide steak to look red inside you need to let it breathe outside of the bag for a while before searing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's a chuck steak. It's more of a braising cut than what people conventionally call a steak.

That's more of a 48hr cut than a 4hr cut.