Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Carrots of your choosing. Cheap grocery store carrots are fine, but I’ve used fancy multicolored heirloom carrots too. Cut to roughly even fork-sized chunks.

Dark brown sugar, salt, butter, ground clove, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, and the tiniest splash of apple cider vinegar if you’re feeling frisky. (I’ve done this recipe with entirely fresh spices that I milled in a mortar and pestle, and I’ve also done it with trash grocery store dried spices. Fresh is better, but both are perfectly viable.) Seal with the method of your choosing, and cook at 183°F for an hour. Strain the cooking liquid into a saucepan and carrots into a serving vessel. Reduce the liquid over high heat about 2 minutes, or until sauce has thickened a bit, add back to the carrots, garnish with fresh parsley if desired. These are basically the best carrots I’ve ever had.

You’re welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The US has pretty strict regulation on the big pork producers. I don't worry overmuch about grocery store pork carrying T. Spiralis cysts, but I'm a bit more wary of any kind of low-volume, boutique pork products.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lawnie posted:

Just pour some vinegar in there with some water and circulate at room temp. It’ll take off the hard water eventually.

This. You can speed it up by using distilled water and vinegar.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hasselblad posted:

Do them at 129 duder. IMHO 135 is way too much.

Especially if your machine isn’t exactly precise. If you set 135° and it goes to 136.5°, you’re hosed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

obi_ant posted:

Tip: Boil some water and start off with that, then add in the required water. A lot less time for the little heater to bring everything to temperature.

I almost always run mine in a big metal stock pot, on the stove top. I use the stove to bring the water up to just under the setpoint, and then leave the circulator to do its thing. Water gets to cook temp in three or four minutes instead of twenty.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hopper posted:

In my experience the veggied taste more intensive because there is no direct contact with water so none of the flavour is dragged out of the veggies into the water". Which I assure you is exactly the scientific wording to explain the phenomenon...

Dilution?

SV vegetables is basically boiling them in their own juices.

I like to do carrots with butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, clove, and ginger. The carrot juices and the brown sugar form a glaze that would otherwise take more skill with a saucepan than I possess.

Plus, you can throw the bag in the puddle and forget about it while you make the rest of the meal, and then just dump the bag in the serving vessel with no further thought.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Has anyone got timings/temps for SV carrots? I want to do the nicest possible roast carrots for Christmas dinner. I'm thinking carrots, peeled and split lengthways, SV in beef dripping, then finished in the oven after brushing down with a thyme oil?

183° F.

I do mine for thanksgiving with brown sugar, butter, cloves, etc and they come out perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:hmmyes:

The beauty of souls vide is that they really don’t care how long. I can do the prep early or even the day before, throw them in the puddle for at least an hour, but two is fine too, and get them out whenever to reduce the glaze.