Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Posted in the kitchen equipment thread as well but curious what my Sous Vide Bros find to be the best vacuum sealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That thing is really nice, but it's out of my price range.

Actually, my mom just mentioned she wants a nicer one, and to give me her FoodSaver (which is fine with me.) I think she's willing to spend up to like $250.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It is actually the severed penis of his former lover. The other pieces are vacuum sealed in the fridge, ready for the cambro. Don't ask questions.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Where are you guys going for sous vide recipes? I've noticed that a lot of the recipes I make with traditional cooking methods are not super adaptable to sous vide, and I would love to be able to find more sous vide specific recipes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I found a cast iron grill pan in the back of a cupboard. Is this in any way better than a plain old enameled cast iron skillet for post-puddle searing?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve never found a good use for my grill pan. The ridges seem counterproductive if the goal is as much surface area as possible for a sear. It’s also a pain to clean.
I was reading a bit about this and I guess it can simulate some of the benefits of a grill, like the char from the ridges being extra hot. I just don't know if that overrides the importance of surface area, especially for sous vide.

eddiewalker posted:

On the other hand, enamel isn’t really great for high heat. I think a lot of them say 500F max to keep the enamel safe.
I did not know this! Stuff does get stuck to it when I sear but I've generally been able to get most of it off.

Including when I did a very stupid thing while intoxicated a few months ago: I made some bacon for a salad, then tried to sear a ribeye I had just puddled in the fat. Cue a gigantic gout of fire. I am super lucky I didn't cause a house fire. Still have scars on my arms from the burns though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Honestly the only reason that I haven't gotten a dedicated cambro yet is because none of the ones I can find, even the Cambro brand ones, are BPA free. And no I don't trust soaking my food in sketchy plastic from China.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Unless it's an egg, yeah, but still.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

All my life my family has said not to cook fish sous vide, "it'll fall apart," "just needs a good sear." Just sous vided salmon for the first time and holy gently caress this is the best meal I have ever made

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mentioned I did a batch of chicken breasts with fajita seasoning, I was slicing up some jalapenos and it occurred to me that I could slice up some jalapenos first and throw them in the bag with the chicken? might get some good flavor like that (although the jalapenos themselves may not be fully cooked since it looks like you want to do those closer to 190 than mid-150s like chicken).

while doing that I also came on some recipes for sous-vide pickled jalapenos and then it occurred to me that you could do carrots the same way. Anova has a recipe for that as well.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-pickled-jalapenos

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-petite-pickled-carrots
Yo my S/O and I have been sous viding chicken thighs for lunches en masse and then freezing them, definitely interested in advice like this on marinades and seasoning to go with it. We tried a harissa-based rub and it came out great. Goddamn I love sous vide

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm still a beginner but the advice I've read is that marinades don't work well on sous vide for a variety of reasons. Sous vide doesn't really need the "added liquid" aspect of a marinade, or the "acid to break down the meat and make it tender" aspect, and it doesn't cook the marinade into a sauce like it does in stovetop/oven cooking, it will stay very, very liquid since there's no liquid boiling off. Since the outside of the meat tends to cook first, they also don't soak in while cooking. So if you were going to do a marinade, you would probably want to do it before.

But I think the better recommendation overall is to try and replace liquid marinades with dry rubs and spice blends. The one I'm struggling a bit with is how to adapt things like lemon juice - I guess you can zest a lemon but that's a lot of zest, and what I'm reading on amazon reviews is that dried zest doesn't work very well.
I'm surprised to read this, honestly we have found great success doing this: vaccuum seal the chicken in a bag with its marinade the night before, sous vide the package, take the chicken out, pour marinade into a pan and reduce it down into a sauce. We've developed a chicken marinade with harissa, soy sauce, lemon juice, cumin, and olive oil for this purpose, and it comes out fuckin amazing.

My understanding is that vacuum sealing basically forces the marinade into the meat (you have to do this carefully so as not to let the marinade get into the vacuum sealer and break it, we do this by keeping the bag under the vacuum sealer's height.) So I wouldn't be as eager to try this with something soft you don't want to vacuum seal like salmon, but with a meat like chicken or steak, seems to work really well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 1, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I bought the LIPAVI sous vide container after giving up on finding a BPA free one. I am very, very satisfied. It comes in a few sizes, we got the "family" size and it's plenty big enough for us, but for truly huge things there's a "party" size. Has a cutout specifically for the Joule too.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

swickles posted:

I don't understand.
:lol:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone have advice on defrosting / reheating sous vide? I have a bunch of frozen pre-cooked chicken in vacuum sealed bags in my freezer, it'd be great to have a way to warm them back up that doesn't run the risk of further cooking them like in the microwave.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think instant potting it or stovetop simmer in the complete sauce is the way to go.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

life is killing me posted:

Well it’s pork tenderloin, so does that change things re: smoking it? Might just sear it anyway, not sure I want the hassle of smoking it tonight.
If you're just going to SV and sear try this!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I went with 136 because that's what the Joule app recommended, you could go as high as 158 to eliminate pink. But you want that pink n juicy loin, lemme tell you.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

life is killing me posted:

I got made fun of in the general questions thread for having the audacity to hope my wife would accept the time-temperature curve and get over the pink

Alas, this was not the case
Maybe you could show her this?

This is Joule's visual doneness guide.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Joule has an "autostart timer" function, where you add the food in as soon as you pour the water bath, and when the temp is reached it starts the timer on its own. This is convenient, but is it actually safe? I've been doing this with frozen chicken.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My concern is that the water is being heated during the thawing process, and if the water bath is large enough that could mean a substantial amount of time in the danger zone.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah I am really tempted by that thing too but don't understand the benefits over traditional puddling + an oven.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Joule definitely heats water faster, fwiw, and the recipes it comes with are quite good, but yeah, having to pull out your phone to use it does suck.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Do a presear too

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's been alleged that it "locks in the flavor" but idk about that. It does improve the final sear in my opinion.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

oh yeah, I throw open the windows and heat up the cast iron till its smoking well on its own.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the egg bites recipe in the joule app is the poo poo. one of those moments when it's like "whoa I actually made this"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I showed my mom how to defrost stuff sous vide – Joule recommends setting it to 68 and letting it run – and of course she loves it. Usually takes about 30 mins to an hr. But today I found her trying to do it with a whole frozen chicken...which wouldn't seem to be quite safe from a food safety perspective. I found a few different perspectives online about this, but what do you guys think? She had it at 68 for 15 mins, then I changed it with cold water and set her Anova to 38 degrees.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I did exactly what you're doing but I freeze them raw in the packs and, in the morning, I get the sous vide going, drop the pack in, and lunch is ready at noon. I find this is better than potentially ruining the point of sous vide by microwaving them, but I also work from home, so.

I like to seal them with a gochujang-harissa marinade, which actually does reduce very well into a sauce post-puddling.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The joke is that my partner is actually quite hematophobic but yells "god of blood" when I open the packets anyway

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Also I like to get em skin on and give them a minute's sear after puddling

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Chicken breast is honestly one of my favorite use cases for sous vide. The chicken tonnato recipe I posted in the general recipes thread is :discourse:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

I cannot think of a single reason to SV a thigh. Sorry, it just makes them worse than simply cooking them on high heat.
I found the most wrong post in the thread

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i loving hate it when my food is perfectly cooked

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah I would agree that chicken thighs, being the most forgiving part of chicken, don't have AS much of a benefit to sous viding versus, say, chicken breast. but if you're puddling them and they're coming out rubbery, or worse than stovetop/oven in any way, you're doing it wrong, period

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

...Does your cambro not have a lid?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So who else is gonna sous vide a turkey this year?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the Joule ChefSteps thing has a recipe, but it requires a Premium Subscription™. TBH I did enjoy the recipes they had when I briefly had a sub, so am thinking of getting another month's worth to check this out.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Never thought of wrapping a turkey in proscuitto but drat that sounds good...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

I moved in with a vegetarian so my steak intake has dramatically reduced, but I had the opportunity to sous vide a nice steak with some garlic butter, rosemary and thyme last night, and it was delicious.
:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

When I tried to SV tuna it came out horribly. I think it's better to just sear it in a cast iron pan or grill, tuna is fairly unique in that you want it near-raw in the middle and near-blackened on the outside.