Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

yoshesque posted:

Someone please take this coupon off my hands: backer-48tb54df

Snagged it! Thanks very much, my brother is going to love his surprise present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
If anyone's thinking of grabbing an Anova One, there's $50 off using 'TAKE50' at the checkout until 5th September.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Can anyone suggest a good recipe for some kind of burrito meat? I thought something like chicken tinga would lend itself well to vizzling, but I can't find anything that looks decent. Kit I have to hand is Anova precision, Cambro (with cling film lid based on this thread's advice) and ziploc bags.

It's for late night eating at a New Year party, so I'd like to do most of the actual cooking earlier that day/day before if possible. Would it be fine to refrigerate then bring back up to temp in the puddle on the night?

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Mikey Purp posted:

Do chicken breast with something like green chilies and green enchilada sauce at 144 for 2 hours. Shred it by just applying pressure to the chicken while still sealed in the bag. Voila, super tender chicken guisada.

That sounds great, thanks! Apparently tomatillos can't be found in provincial England, so I've had to go with a red enchilada sauce, but other than that I'll stick with your recommendation.

We'll have one vegetarian with us, so I was thinking of doing something along the lines of the Kenji SV halibut but with a chilli rub for his burrito 'meat'.
Having never eaten a fish burrito (:pervert:) much less made one before, is that a sensible choice of fish? Also, if I vizzle ahead of time, then sear before serving will that be safe/ enough to heat it through?

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

only reason i ask is because i'm in the UK and they're definitely cooking instructions not warming instructions

Is it ham or gammon? As far as I understand (I'm in the UK too) ham is cooked and gammon is the name for raw 'ham'.

For reference: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-cook-and-prepare-gammon-and-ham

The two look pretty different in my experience and should be easy to tell apart. Ham is opaque and light pink (looks like ham!)

whereas gammon is more translucent, a bit like bacon.

Randyslawterhouse fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 31, 2016

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If it's cooling it instead of heating it you might have reversed the polarity on the plug

:eng101:

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
I really don't rate searing (or anything else) on a griddle pan. My £10 from amazon cast iron frying pan does a far better job than my le creuset griddle pan.

nthing the 'get it hotter than the sun' advice though. I use the wok burner on my stove, which is probably a bit too big for my cast iron and occasionally ignites the oil in it. Also, this Searing Guide is worth a look.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I think when dalstrs talks about the "griddle side" of his baking steel, he's talking about a flat surface. Griddle pan = flat, grill pan = lines

Ah, thanks for the translation!

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
I did lobster and steak just the other weekend (it was my birthday) and it was great!

I did this kenji recipe at 130 and it came out really well. I used frozen Maine lobster tails and they weren't too much hassle. A lot easier than pulling apart a whole lobster.
Made a bearnaise sauce, but only really because of the steak. Clarified butter would be good instead.

In short - do it!

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Trastion posted:

Did you still pull the frozen lobster meat out of the shell? Or did it work ok in the shell?

Took it out of the shell - that was the only fiddly bit really, but it came out pretty neatly after a quick blanch.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
You'll want a cast iron pan for finishing whatever it is you plan on SVing. Nothing fancy (mine was £10 from amazon) but pretty essential to get a really good sear.

I recommend starting with a nice thick ribeye steak. Easy/quick to do and really impressive.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Just tried boiled eggs SV for the first time for breakfast this morning and while the yolks were some incredible next-level poo poo, the whites were a bit... snotty.

I followed the Anova time & temp guide for soft boiled (45mins @145) with a pre-boil for 3 mins. Any suggestions for keeping a nice runny yolk and also getting the whites properly set?

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Well that's pretty unequivocal - cheers all!
Looks like it's back to the pan then, and I had such high hopes. Makes sense about needing the temperature gradient though.

I jumped on the SV egg bites bandwagon today, so hopefully tomorrow's breakfast will be a winner.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Can confirm - egg bites were awesome! Made bacon & gruyere; and mushroom, spinach & blue cheese. Both were great.

Regarding extraction, I did the knife around the edge and shaking onto a plate manoeuvre too. It worked ok, but did take a while. If you're using two-part mason jar lids, I think cling film would probably interfere with the seal. A spray of cooking oil/low fat spray in the jar before filling might work though :shrug:

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Megabound posted:

All in all I'm very happy with the result.

You should be, they look great! So much better than my recent, disappointing effort.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
I'll tell you the dumbest loving sous vide recipe...

...impromptu egg and bacon soup.

Apparently 'finger tight' isn't quite as tight as I thought :argh:

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

I think I want to SV 60 salmon filets for my brother's wedding help

(help convince me not to)

Don't do it - focus on enjoying your brother's big day instead and don't needlessly complicate things.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

lavaca posted:

...The Anova behaved itself when I put the jars in but had a very hard time maintaining temperature after that. It would fluctuate between about 183 and 186, beeping every time it climbed past 184.7...

My Anova drops about 4 degrees when the jars go in, but once it gets back to temp it holds within .1 degree of 185. Hopefully yours isn't about to go pop, but Anova seem to have pretty good customer service (at least if you're in the US).

I vizzled again this weekend - egg bites for the week (smoked salmon and dill, which I can heartily recommend); and two f'ing massive bone-in ribeyes, the eating of which was an almost religious experience.

Incidentally, any U.K. Goons looking for short ribs, get to Waitrose, quick. Their butchers don't know poo poo, but they've got them knocked down to £5/kilo. My frozen 'meat library' now includes short ribs, ox tail and ox cheek, all waiting for their turn in the puddle.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Norns posted:

I make burgers in my sous vide sometimes. Come at me

Gross, soggy buns and hot lettuce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

baquerd posted:

I think it's chewing gum.

Duh, it's just a tough bit of steak that he spat out.