Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've got an Anova on the way and picked up a vacuum sealer today. What's a good cut of steak to show off with so I can convince my wife I haven't bought another unnecessary gadget (to be fair, I have a lot of those), and what are you go to recipes when you're showing off to people who've never had sous vide anything before? Also, my vacuum sealer recommends freezing meat before I bag it, is this strictly necessary if it isn't dripping with liquid?

I'm a bit annoyed with myself because I ordered the machine yesterday thinking it'd get delivered on Tuesday ready for experimenting on the ANZAC day holiday, but of course no-one works ANZAC day so it definitely won't be arriving then, and I think same day post and delivery might be a bit hopeful on a Monday.

e: I've already vacuum sealed my wife's keys so it's going to be an uphill battle.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Holy hell, my Anova arrived today so I bought a couple of porterhouse steaks to test it out and goddamn if they weren't the best steaks I had ever cooked in my life. I am an immediate convert.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

qutius posted:

do some thick rear end pork chops next. SO good!

Got some bargains to do up next. I've never cooked pork chops before, or eaten them. They're not really a done thing in Australia, or at least with any families I've known.

But I am keen to do some lamb.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I just did this Fish in XO Sauce and it was incredibly good. I won't shame myself with a picture but if you're keen for some simple clean fish I highly recommend it. I just served it with bok choi and steamed rice.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've decided to take on the fool's errand of poaching eggs, despite what's been said these past few pages. Mostly because I'm terrible at poaching eggs the conventional way.

75 degrees, 13 minutes, extra large eggs. The one on the left was left in about a minute longer and it shows. Extraction from the shell was easy enough, just tapping around the circumference until I could remove a good portion of shell and upending the egg over the toast.

All in all I'm very happy with the result.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

sterster posted:

Wonder if that egg was stuck next to the heating element for the full cook time. I've never had that level of difference. Then again I do the 63c eggs for 1hr when I make eggs benny. Still looks awesome!

Possibly, I did them again this morning, they both crowded around the impeller. This time 12 and a half minutes at 75c and I took them both out at the same time. Came out perfectly.

e: I should also mention that I keep my eggs room temperature.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 30, 2017

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I did both crispy skin salmon and mash potato in the puddler for an early Mother's Day lunch. Both came out wonderfully. I'm going to be cooking a lot more fish these days.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Feenix posted:

Details on mashed potatoes? Easy? Recipe? What's the benefit?

Recipe was dead simple and got me a very velvety mash. No more work than mash in regular boiling water, which I often don't do very well.

http://lickmyspoon.com/recipes/sous-vide-mashed-potatoes-with-garlic-and-rosemary/

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

mindphlux posted:

sousvide mashed potatoes is literally the dumbest food thing I have heard of this year

And I'm going to do it again :colbert:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Norns posted:

Oh yes let's clown on someone in a loving thread where we all cook in waterbaths.

Eh, it's SA. I'm still very much in the new hammer ownership stage of my sous vide, where I think of something I'd like to cook on the weekend then put "sous vide" in front of it and throw it into Google.

So, be prepared for more dumb poo poo I guess? My cooking knowledge is poor compared to most other posters in thread so I'm almost certainly going to be doing poo poo obviously wrong or roundabout.

Most importantly, my mother loved her early mothers day lunch.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

rockcity posted:

146 for 50 min is my go to for sous vide eggs.

12.5 minutes at 167 for large eggs for poaching. I cook them at least twice a week for breakfast.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Feenix posted:

Runny yellow? No snot?

I posted an image a couple pages back.

This first time I did at 13 minutes, and the egg on the left was in about a minute longer, so I dropped down to 12.5 and get them out at the same time and they're perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Seconding Pulled Pork, I did this recipe and it was amazing.

http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-carnitas