Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Why do my SV burgers never come out really good? They're certainly edible, and nice and pink on the inside, but they have a weird spongy consistency/texture that is kind of gross. They aren't juicy or flavorful at all.

Am I packing them too tightly? Searing them for too long? Making them too big?

And before anyone says "why are you bothering with SV for burgers", I like to buy the ground beef in bulk, make the patties and freeze them two to a bag, and then be able to get home from work and just pop a bag into the bath for a couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Bought a ton of boneless pork chops from Costco with the intention of freezing and SV’ing throughout the next week or two. Do I season the meat and freeze it with all the seasonings already in the bag? Or do I freeze it as is and throw the seasonings in with the frozen meat before puddling?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've never done a big, long cook before, but I'm planing on doing a large brisket for my 4th of July BBQ. I've seen a few different methods on YouTube, but does anyone here have any experience and/or a preferred method of doing a brisket?

Some of the recipes had a 3 hour smoke before puddling followed by searing from a Searzall after puddling, some had puddling first and then smoking with no sear, some had some time in the oven after puddling. What is the best way to go?

I have a smoker but no Searzall/HeatGun/Torch, but I'm willing to buy one if that's the best way to do it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I should mention, the smoker I have is basically the cheapest electric smoker they had at Home Depot that I bought two years ago. So while it technically works, I've found it has problems getting up to temp and staying there. Hence why I'm looking to use it to add some smoky flavor but not necessarily to do the bulk of the cooking.

Plus i already ordered some of the SV accessories I'll need for this, so even if I decide not to do a brisket, i'm gonna be puddling SOMETHING next weekend.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I do SV brisket every couple of months for a party. I use the Serious Eats time and temp for “traditional” (I think 155 for 24-36?) and then either finish on the smoker or the oven for an hour-ish. IMO it comes out moister than when I just smoke it, and my guests love it. The best part, though, is that I can control exactly when it’s done, versus the huge time range for doing the whole cook on the smoker.

When I’m going to finish in the oven I put a few drops of liquid smoke in the bag(s), but I don’t bother with the nitrite for a ring.

This sounds like what I’m gonna do. Follow Serious Eats steps for prep, puddle for 32-ish hours at 155, then finish in the smoker for a couple hours. Will report back with pics if I remember!!

EDIT: just out of curiousity, since I’m getting my meat from Costco and I’ve just heard about blade tenderization, the above method should be enough to not have to worry about that, right?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Will report back with pics if I remember!!

Well, I’m only about 10 hours in, and it’s a disaster so far. :v:

I bought a Food Saver vacuum sealer specifically for this, and either the one I have is defective or it just sucks (and not in the way it’s supposed to). The first time I tried to vacuum seal something as a test run, it took 3 tries to get it even close to what you would describe as a vacuum sealed package. Then I did another test run and it got it on the first try, so I figured maybe it just needed some warming up or something.

Bagged up my brisket and started up the vac sealer, and it did a reasonably good job. Then I remembered reading it might be a good idea to double bag for these long cooks, so I bagged up the sealed brisket and tried to vac seal that, and it just would not happen. The sealer would run for 5 minutes or so, then stop, and there would still be a ton of air in the bag. Tried this twice with the same results, and then decided to just roll the dice with the single sealed bag. So I popped it in the water and went to bed.

Oops.

Woke up this morning to some nasty looking brown water. When I got the meat out of the bath, I saw that the bag failed, though NOT at one of the seams that was made by the vac sealer. The bag had ripped along one of the edges on the side.

Figuring that it ripped because the whole brisket was probably too much for one bag, I took it out and cut it in half and rebagged each half separately. I tried to pour some of the juice back into these new bags, but still ended up losing a ton of juice. :(

Resealed these new bags (still not a perfect vacuum but pretty good), replaced the water, and popped these babies back in.

I have no idea how these will turn out now. I considered just dumping the whole thing but that seems like a waste at this point. If it turns out inedible I’ll just dump it then.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The sealing is the one thing that’s actually been working pretty good. It’s the vacuuming that’s poo poo.

And it was the edge of the bag that split open overnight, so even if the sealer was working perfectly, it seems there’s nothing that could have been done to prevent that (except double bagging, I guess.)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I do my Costco NY Strips at about 132 for about 2 hours if thawed, or 3 hours if frozen.

When corona started, Costco was out of NY strips so I just got what I could at the grocery store, which was a couple London broil steaks. But the last one I cooked the same way I cook the NY Strips came out real tough and rubbery. Is that just the way it is for that cheaper cut of meat? Is there anything I can do (higher/lower temperature, more/less time?) to make it more delicious?

Edit: I know there’s a lot of different cuts of meat that all get called “london broil”, but mine basically looks like this:

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/D9WN0D/raw-london-broil-D9WN0D.jpg

Edit2: Ok a little googling has told me that for a lean cut like this, I need to do more like 7-8 hours at 135F or so. So another question: generally the rule I follow when puddling from frozen is to take the cook time, cut it in half, and add it to the cook time. So 2 hours fresh is 3 hours frozen. 3 hours fresh is 4.5 hours frozen. I assume with a bath this long, that rule doesn’t apply? Maybe I do 8-9 hours instead of 7-8?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 21, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
UPDATE: Did London Broil straight from frozen into the bath at 131F for 8 hours. Flavor and juiciness was great, but meat was still a little tougher than I'd like. Definitely better than last time, though. Maybe next time I'll try for 10 hours.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What’s the best approach if I’ve already taken a cooked steak out of the bath & bag, and then I realize I forgot to make one of the sides so I need another 15-20 minutes? Ok to let it sit out at room temp for that long before searing? Or better to stick it in the fridge or freezer?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It was probably more like 30 minutes, but ate the steak and not dead yet. Thanks peeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Warming up the bath for some beautiful fresh NY strips I just picked up. Can't wait. Thanks for all the guidance.

E: they're in

Lookin good, NY-Strip-for-dinner-on-a-Tuesday-night buddy. I just popped mine in the bath - I took a picture but it was pretty boring so I won’t be posting it.

What are you cooking at? Mine is going at 132F for 3.75 hours because it’s A) thick and B) frozen.

As someone who rarely thinks about what to have for dinner until 5pm on the day-of, being able to buy steaks 5-at-time from Costco, freeze them, and then cook them right from frozen has been a godsend.