Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Has anyone tried contacting Anova support? My Anova's touch screen stopped responding, so I called Anova and they said that they'd send me a FedEx label to ship it back to get repaired. This was Monday and I still haven't received anything (I sent a few follow-up e-mails). I'm annoyed but if their support has been great for other people I'll cut them some slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

My Anova also wasn't loud prior to its touchscreen's sad demise.

Anova support responded - apparently their e-mails just weren't going through for some reason (maybe the Gmail outages) but they were very apologetic and helpful. I shipped it back this morning so hopefully I'll be able to vizzle all the meat in my freezer soon!

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

My grocery store has lard at the meat counter - try asking one of the butchers if they have any?

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Not to derail this conversation but in case anyone is curious, my Anova had a faulty board so they fixed it and are sending it back. They were very apologetic and said that it must've slipped by quality control - so I'm still pretty confident about Anova's manufacturing quality.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Bob_McBob posted:

The original Anova doesn't even have an audible alert, so you have to keep checking, which is a significant design oversight, IMO.

This isn't actually true - if you set the timer, it beeps when it's done. It's a little quiet so you may have missed it but I have a tiny NYC apartment and I can hear it everywhere.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I recently made greek yogurt using my Anova.

I heated 8 cups of 2% milk to 180F on my stove and then cooled it to 120F before whisking in 7oz of Fage 2% greek yogurt. I separated the mixture into 4 pint mason jars (there was about a cup of liquid left over) and incubated the jars in my Anova for 10 hours at 120F. After 10 hours, I put them in the fridge overnight and strained the yogurt in cheesecloth the next morning. I ended up with about 4 cups of yogurt and 4 cups of whey - I hear that you can use the whey to inoculate the next bath of yogurt but I haven't tried it yet. The flavor is a little milder than store-bought greek yogurt but it's tasty and the texture is great!

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Spatule posted:

Pork spare ribs done 48h at 63c were absolutely amazing. Like butter, juicy and pink like ham.
They were breaking apart coming out of the bag.

Thanks for the suggestion - I did mine at 61.5c and they were amazing! I did a barbecue rub and seared them in lard afterwards and they were some of the juiciest ribs I've ever had.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I've been making egg bites for breakfast - they're super easy, keep well, and taste good. Definitely a winner if you like doing meal prep.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

snyprmag posted:

Do you keep them in the fridge or frozen? How are they best reheated?

I keep them in the fridge and warm them up in the microwave because I'm super lazy. They do have a weird custardy texture, but it doesn't bother me because I'm a zombie before I have caffeine anyway.

I made mine with egg whites and cottage cheese and blended everything in my Vitamix. I then poured the mixture over cooked sausage and some leeks cooked in butter. I was actually pretty shocked at how well the finger-tightening worked - they didn't float at all!

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I also made the Chefsteps salmon mi cuit and mine also turned out mushy. Any suggestions about what to do with ~12oz of pretty junky salmon? I'm thinking maybe a rilette.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did you refrigerate it for a day before eating it? I've heard the texture is a lot better when you do that.

I did. I also very carefully followed all of the temperature instructions (froze my ice bath and my brine). I think maybe my salmon wasn't high quality enough to begin with.

These look amazing - thanks so much for the link!

turing_test fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, 2 hours at 145 should be grey.

The heat transfer likely isn't as efficient with the compost vs. with water.