Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
I am a bit confused by this technique but I have a PID controller so I might try it out.
What confuses me is the temperature to keep to make it safe.
'
I have some salmon in my freezer, I'd like to cook it medium rare (say 45 celsius). Should I just cook it sous vide for 2 hours and done? What confuses me is that the pasteurization tables here say to keep the salmon at 55 celsius for hours to kill of the bacteria. What would I do with such overcooked salmon later though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
If that's the very first sous-vide recipe you cook, you should probably stay away from that salmon.
121F is just not safe. You should cook it that way only if you'd eat the same salmon fillet raw.

On the other hand, you could try cooking short pork ribs for 3 days at around 135F. Immerse them in a bag with bulgogi sauce and they'll come out juicer than they got in (much better than any brining I tried).
Then just put them 10 seconds per side in a hot pan (canola oil smokes at 400F, that's fine) to brown them and serve them on a bed of white rice.
It's basically ambrosia.