Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My Sansaire just arrived yesterday, so I'm going to take my first shot at sous vide steak today.

My idea is to pick up something at lunchtime, season, and cook at 137F for 5-6 hours (whenever my wife gets home).

Is there a particularly good cut of beef for this? My local Publix tends to focus on pricier steaks and roasts, but I figure since this is going for several hours, I might get more flavor out of something with more connective tissue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Depending on the steak this is probably far too long. I'd just get a decent cut and vizzle it for an hour or two before chucking it in a hot pan.
I didn't think up to 6 hours would have too much of an effect on beef. Anyway, I'll heed your advice.

I picked up a couple of strip steaks and will try two hours at 137 (my wife likes medium rare, I like medium, so hopefully this gets us in the ballpark).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Verdict: Success!

Two 10-ounce New York Strips just seasoned with a little salt and pepper. Into the bath at 137F for two hours. Took them out and seared in a hot skillet with a little canola oil.

It probably wasn't the best steak I've ever had, but it's certainly the best steak I've ever made.

The meat was pretty solidly Medium - I may try 135F next time. Also, I think I'll season it a bit more. The inside was juicy and full of flavor, but I like a salty/peppery taste on the outside. For those who do steaks often, do you typically season before puddling, before searing, or right before serving? Or all three?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has posted tips in this thread. I'm really excited about my new kitchen gadget.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

cheezit posted:

Silly question, but for container depth, are you guys resting the immersion circulators on the bottom directly, or raising it up? I have a Sansaire and have been keeling it off the bottom, but it means a pretty deep pot to use.
I tried resting my Sansaire on the bottom of a pot, but it started freaking out and blowing bubbles (yes, the water was well past the bottom fill line). I assume it wasn't getting enough water into the bottom intake, so it was sucking air out of the top of the device.

I've ended up using my huge stock pot for everything. It works fine, but because I'm using so much water it takes forever to heat up.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Etrips posted:

Think I'm going to pick up one of the Anovas now instead of waiting. Tired of how my meats are coming out because I'm a terrible cook. Plus the bluetooth functionality is pretty neat. Hope those coupons from earlier still work!
Sous-vide can turn out some tasty food for sure, but it's no substitute for learning basic cooking skills.

You'll still want to sear most meats after cooking, and it's nice to be able to whip up some nice sauces or side items. You'll get a lot more value out of your puddle machine once you can do this.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

No Wave posted:

Catboy's right in that even the good bags leak. The water gets gross pretty fast for the multi-day cooks.
I've never had a problem with bags leaking on short (under 6 hour) cooks, but I'm 0-for-2 on multi-day attempts. Each time I checked the morning after I started, and the top of the bag was no longer completely sealed.

I think the motion of the water from the Sansaire's circulator is slowly working them open over time, as both times I was very careful to make sure they were sealed up well. These were the nice, thick Ziploc brand freezer bags.

I guess I'll get one of those fancy Foodsavers from Costco before I try Thanksgiving dinner (we're doing duck breast this year because gently caress tradition).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Safety Dance posted:

Me too. Use real ziplocks and not store brand bags, and you'll be fine.
I've found that they're fine for short cook times, but over the course of a multi day cook, the motion of the water circulation can be enough to work open even the nice ziploc freezer bags.

I picked up one of the fancy foodsavers at Costco and have been enjoying it. I puddled a few pounds of duck breast for Thanksgiving, and I appreciated the peace of mind that the bags were sealed tight.

Also, duck fried rice is maybe the best thing I've ever put in my mouth.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Veritek83 posted:

I'm doing pork chops at 61 c and one of them seems to have some air in the vac pouch. Doesn't appear to have sprung a leak or anything- seems more like the chop has just shrunk a bit. They've been goin an hour at this point, probably an hour left before I want to pull them to sear. I figure I'm just going to give this one a sniff and as long as it doesn't smell bad, I'll use it. Is that a recipe for food poisoning?

Edit: smelled fine, eaten, tasted good, not dead yet
It's fine. You want as much water in contact with the meat as possible, but some air bubbles aren't going to hurt anything. The air will get to the desired temperature and cook the meat too -- it just won't do it as efficiently as the water.

If you have a LOT of air in the bag and are really paranoid, you could leave it in the bath a bit longer, but air won't magically make the meat spoil or anything.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mod sassinator posted:

Am I crazy or is putting the back cover on the Sansaire really freaking difficult? The tolerances are really sloppy and nothing fits into place that well.
Yeah, mine is like that too.

I rarely remove the cover. It really only touches water (except that time when the short ribs leaked). Other than some mineral buildup on the heating element, there's nothing a quick rinse won't handle.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Deathwing posted:

I used a store brand (Kroger) heavy-duty freezer bag for 5 hours at 136 a couple weeks ago, no holes or visible breakdown at all, although I definitely wouldn't reuse it.
It's not so much a question of durability, but over long cook times, the motion of the water can gradually work the zipper open.

Double bagging would probably fix this, but last time I lost a rack of ribs I bought a Food Saver.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I put in some 24-hour pork spare ribs with a nice dry rub a few hours ago. I started them at 141 F, but since then I've been reading some accounts that you need to do spare ribs at 160ish or they come out tough.

Does anyone have any thoughts? If I should do them higher, I can turn up my circulator before I go to bed tonight.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

WhiteHowler posted:

I put in some 24-hour pork spare ribs with a nice dry rub a few hours ago. I started them at 141 F, but since then I've been reading some accounts that you need to do spare ribs at 160ish or they come out tough.
I ended up leaving the spare ribs at 141 F for 24 hours, and they turned out just fine. Not falling off the bone, but not tough, either. They were quite tasty, and definitely worth the effort.

The dry rub imparted some flavor to the meat, but on its own seemed a bit tasteless, and the outer texture wasn't spectacular. I might try something different next time, maybe nothing before the sous vide and just a light brushing of BBQ sauce at the end and a couple of minutes in the oven.

Overall, success. Sous vide ribs are pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

baquerd posted:

I'm reading that salting before sous viding is a generally bad idea. What are the rules of thumb here? I just dropped an eye of round roast in that I salted like I would if I was going to actually roast it, how hosed is it?
I've done steaks both with and without salting before bagging, and I haven't found that it changes the flavor too much versus salting right before searing. It'll be tasty.