Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeMurf
Oct 15, 2013

Grenouilles Sans Frontiers

:firstpost:
I've struck internet gold! So stoked right now.

I'm going to order one of those Polyscience thingies. Which one should I get for cooking for up to 10 people at a time or, say, 5 pound steaks? Not every day of the week and not professionally. You know, casual use.

Another question: Does it matter if the meat/fish is frozen when I vacuum-seal it up with butter, spice and goodies? I'm thinking it shouldn't as long as the cook time is long enough, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeMurf
Oct 15, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Your food has to get up to temp within 4 hours. You can't cook large things from frozen as safely.

Ok, and why is that? Seems to me that if it's a big enough piece of meat it would (potentially) take even longer than that to thaw out on my kitchen bench. Am I missing something here?

DeeMurf
Oct 15, 2013

Thanks Zorak and SlayVus, you can take pride in knowing that you (potentially) saved me from getting sick or worse.
I guess I really knew about this at some time, or at least should have known... Again, thanks for reminding me.

I ordered a Polyscience Creative model as a x-mas present for my parents. My dad knows way more about cooking than me and will be able to appreciate this piece of equipment more than I. Hopefully he also knows more about food safety than I apparently do... - I guess we'll see :)

DeeMurf
Oct 15, 2013

Bought a Polyscience puddlewarmer for my dad for christmas - Great success! Now I can't wait for the guy to figure out how to use it properly. And, with that in mind...

Could we please add a list of informative links to recipes, tips and other interwebz recources for sous vide cooking to the OP?