Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

had some sous vide rack of lamb yesterday with forums user Jan to celebrate 'murrica day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What's a hosed up mashed potato even like?

I think 'slurry' is a good word to describe it

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Lawnie posted:

I have some well-done wanters in the house otherwise I’d do the whole thing SV.

:sever:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

barkbell posted:

I got souls vide for Xmas how do I use this

get a clear container and enjoy your new meatquarium

Development
Jun 2, 2016

esperantinc posted:

I dunno about denature, but longer cooks do affect a steak for sure, even if they're lean. From Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html)

I can see how a change in texture like that would make someone call it more tender.

longer cooks definitely have effects, but you really need to consider the cut of meat, which species it is from and if it is aged or not. some meats will get really stringy and some will become tender but no longer juicy.

ex:

quote:

For beef, the longissimus muscle tenderised less than tougher muscles (semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris and/or rectus femoris) after 4 h of holding at 60 °C, as measured by sensory panels and Warner-Bratzler shear force (Dinardo et al., 1984; Laakkonen, Wellington, & Sherbon, 1970; Machlik & Draudt, 1963). Increasing the holding time from 5 to 17h did not change the shear force values of semitendinosus from slaughter pigs at any temperature between 48 °C and 63 °C, whereas longissimus tenderised in treatments at 58 °C and 63 °C with extended holding.

this is from an excellent review on low temperature long term cooking published in j. meatsci that discusses eating quality (tenderness, juiciness, colour and flavour), physical and chemical changes (structural changes, proteins etc) . If you don't have access and want to read it, PM me and I can help you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

nope. Our IP’s rice isn’t nearly as good as our entry level Zojirushi rice cooker