Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Was it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

d3rt posted:

Wouldn't the pepper burn and taste bad since I'm going to be searing it at a really high 475+ temp?

The pepper won't burn, that's not really a thing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drive By posted:

Dave Arnold did a thing a few years back to test whether salting before sous-vide had any effect. The general conclusion was that salting before sousvizzing made the meat drier, with no gain in flavour. He guessed that was due to a "curing" of the meat during the cooking time. I haven't pre-salted since then, but can't say I've noticed a huge difference.

Here's an Ideas In Food post about the same thing, where they suggest either brining or salting post-svizzing, but never before: http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2011/10/corrective-seasoning.html

I wonder if you could get the best of both worlds by vacuuming meats with just a little bit of brine solution, say, 10% or 20% of meat weight. Anyone ever try that?

Dumb question then, but does that mean to vizzle the meat, THEN salt, then sear? This is important to me since I'm expecting an Anova for Xmas this year from my parents.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If you dry the steak very well and sear it in an extremely hot pan with lots of oil, then only the area immediately next to the outside of the steak will have time to overcook.

When you're searing the steak do you really need to use oil/fat of some sort? Won't the steak naturally release once the crust has formed even on a dry (and/or seasoned cast iron) pan? I mean I know fat is flavor and all of that, I'm just curious.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What temp did you use for those pork chops? They look good but I don't see any pink at all.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

LTBS posted:

Are these the ones that come two in a pack with the total package being 6 packs? Or is this a different one?

No, this is a large bag containing individually wrapped frozen chicken breasts, 6.5 lbs worth. It's what I buy as I eat a shitload of chicken. I once made the mistake of trying to save a couple bucks and tried the Perdue version (nominally cheaper per pound). What a loving mistake - the quality was so much lower it was embarrassing. I couldn't even finish the bag, they were so bad.

Hed, just a warning - I have noticed that some of the breasts aren't perfectly vacuum sealed and can retain some air bubbles.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jeoh posted:

Hey goons, Anova is working on a new cooker. It's only 99$ including (worldwide) shipping now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anova/anova-precision-cooker-cook-sous-vide-with-your-ip

You fuckers better hurry, too - the $99 slot only has 1000 spots, 600 of which are left. A full 50 were taken up just in the time it took me to back it!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crazy. They've already raised $360k. Let's get some stretch goals! Bright neon colors! Programmable LED lightshows! Laser-etched engravings!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

deimos posted:

All the sub $159 tiers are gone and they put a limit on the $159 tiers of 1k each.

Holy. poo poo.

Dang. What's going to happen when they run out of backer slots? Max out ~7 days into your 42 day kickstarter? Boo to that, and boo having to wait until June 17th to actually get the cash.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

No Wave posted:

I'm a little confused about how I'm supposed to feel about smoking oil. Everywhere I read says it's extremely bad for you, but it seems like the only way to sear steak super hard - and even if you use a dry pan the meat itself smokes.

Meh. Ever eaten anything from a grill? If so, you've signed your own death warrant.

Everything kills you and everyone is going to die. I'd rather go out with a belly full of steak when my time comes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So the Anova Kickstarter just hit its stretch goal for the stainless steel skirt. This is only getting better, and there are still almost two weeks left. Wonder what else they could add...?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Everyone who backed the Anova Kickstarter, please immediately go here and vote for the Brushed finish. The Chrome one looks tacky as all hell.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got my Anova for $99, no effort required :smug:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here is another $50 Anova coupon code if anyone wants it:

backer-e4637c32

Good for the next 30 days.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chemmy posted:

Where's the marbling?

Conspicuously absent because it's grass fed? Who knows.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Has anyone gotten their Kickstarter Anova yet? I'm antsy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Test Pattern posted:

Mine shipped yesterday, tracking says arriving Monday. I believe I'm in the first group shipping. Have you received your invite to their tracking site yet?

I have not :(

It's fine though, I can wait a little longer, I'm just glad that at least they've begun shipping them.

Straker posted:

Motherfucker. I haven't even gotten an invite to the tracking site yet, even though my order is clearly more important because I'm getting five of the things :mad:

I know what you mean. I'm only getting one, but I backed it on the Kickstarter's very first day!! I'm important!!!!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dotster posted:

Cambros are about $20-30 USD, often cheaper than a decent cooler

They don't warp when you cook stuff at 180F+ like many cheap coolers will

When you are done you can store all of your sous vide kit in them without taking up a bunch of space

You don't need insulation for a container with any decent circulator unless you are going way beyond its rated capacity

Cambro lids are easy to get on and off and cut without getting insulation everywhere, many lids on coolers are not insulated and will trap water inside the cooler lid making a mess when you open and close.

:rolleyes:

This post brought to you by Big Cambro...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Choadmaster posted:

Guy made an intelligent response to a post that said cambros are "worse in basically every way." Where was the rolleyes and dumb "Big Cooler" joke for that one?

If only there was a rolleyes vomiting rolleyes I could post in response to you.

Sarcasm.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Schpyder posted:

Done this the last three years and it's resulted in the moistest, most flavorful turkey ever. I can only imagine how fantastic vizzled turkey breast would be, but you do lose that crispy skin goodness.

That's why you do this with the skin. :getin: :getin: :getin:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Quick question for all of those who backed the Anova Precision Cooker Kickstarter:

I finally received my shipping notification!

On Monday.

Tracking it, it still says that the label has been created, but there are no further shipment updates. Did this happen with anyone else? When situations like this happen with products my company sells, it usually means that the label was printed but the box was either lost in the warehouse or otherwise never picked up and scanned by FedEx. I've e-mailed Anova support but I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced a delay in their tracking updates when theirs shipped.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CrazyLittle posted:

You might want to check the tracking number again. The status on mine changed today.

Nope, still no updates. I did receive this e-mail from the customer support:

quote:

Hi again!

I just received an update from our Shipping Department.
We anticipate this order to be shipped within the next 2-3 business days.

I ask you to please extend a little more patience on this matter. As they print labels on a mass scale so that they are not slowed down by having to print more units.

Thanks so much for understanding. Have a good one!

Well if they mass-print labels to save time, don't get my hopes up by sending a shipping notification that it's on its way until it actually ships! :arghfist: :arghfist:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Huzzah! I finally got my Anova yesterday. It's quite a bit larger, heavier, and just more solid overall than I expected. I just thawed some boneless pork chops and plan to pop my sous vide cherry tonight or tomorrow night, as well as hopefully knock my girlfriend's panties off with how delicious a medium-rare pork chop can be.

That said, now that I have it in my possession, I feel almost frozen in terror. Is there a handy guide to most proteins/vegetables for times and temp? I follow this thread religiously but it's been mostly abstract theory thus far - now I need actual practical advice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've got two boneless pork chops I want at a medium rare. Does 135 for two hours sound sufficient? They're about an inch thick.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Straker posted:

Ok everyone who wanted in on my Anova backing, I got my big box of 5 cookers a couple days ago. PM or post here if still interested otherwise I'll come find you in a day or two I guess?

edit: actually, give me a little bit to figure out what we figured a reasonable price would be, and I have to figure out whether these need repackaging before I can send them back out, and that sort of thing... I haven't been home much lately and I have a bunch of mundane things to take care of :(

I was very very impressed at how my Anova came packaged. I think that if they sent your shipments in individual cardboard boxes, you'd be fine with just slapping a shipping label over the ones currently on the box. If they came multiple cookers per larger cardboard box, even the cylindrical container holding the cooker would hold up to shipping, I think...just duct tape the seam shut and put the shipping label right on the tube.

Please note that I cannot be held liable for any damage during shipment if you follow my poor advice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I asked earlier but didn't get a response about boneless pork chops. Well I cooked them last night at 135 for two hours, but we'd already eaten dinner so I threw them in an ice bath and put them in the fridge to eat later. I'm going to puddle them to warm them back up, pat dry and sear them, but were the 2 hours @135 enough for medium rare or should I cook them longer or at a higher temp for some amount of time?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Test Pattern posted:

Loin chop or shoulder chop? Loin chop is fine at 2, shoulder chop I'd let go to 4 maybe?

Also, my anova replacement came 6 days after sending in borked unit. Haven't started using it yet, but they seem to be getting their feet under them regarding defects and calibration.

Yeah, loin chop, pretty lean. I think I'll give it an extra half hour when I warm it back up. Thanks!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

Also 140F BSCB is going to be a weekly thing at my house. I have done them with things like chile sauce to make tacos and teriyaki to go with rice and veg, and will definitely start to experiment with different flavorful liquids in the bag. Leftovers are awesome too, I had cold teriyaki chicken with my lunch today and it was just incredible. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Fake edit: I might try with some simple marinara and torch some cheese on top after cooking to make a non-fried chicken parm.

I did this with BSCB from Costco, already individually vacuum sealed...all I had to do was defrost them in cold water and throw them in the pot for an hour. They are unbelievable!! There's no layer of desiccated outer meat like oven cooking produces, even if the internal temp from the oven was ~145.

I've had the Anova for a little over a week and I've already used it half a dozen times. It's fuckin' awesome.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Goddamn why did I wait so long to get one of these. Perfect egg, man.

Yessssss......

There's this vacuum sealer on sale today on Woot. I've just been planning to use ziploc bags and siphon the air out of them, but if I can find a screaming deal on a sealer, I'd jump on it. Does anyone have any experience with this model?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got a ~24 oz pork tenderloin for a song that was approaching its sell-by date and threw it in the freezer. This is a low-budget groceries week so I'm trying to work through my freezer so I just defrosted it and I'd like to vizzle it. I'm guessing 145 degrees, but for how long? It's pretty small, only about 2.5" wide.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Grapist posted:

I would say 134 for about 2-3 hours.

Thanks. I did this last night and the drat thing was so tender I could cut it just by looking sternly at it. Amazing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tev posted:

I've got a 1 1/2 pound rump roast vizzling right now, it's been in for nearly 24 hours. My plan was to eat it tonight, but got an offer of free dinner elsewhere. I figured ~24 hours was plenty for this roast, but say I left it in for 48 will it turn to mush or should it still be good for dinner tomorrow? Do I have any other options like pulling it at 24 hours and tossing it in the fridge and just reheating tomorrow?

Yep, take it out, shock it in icewater (or let it cool naturally if you have the time), toss it in the fridge, then puddle it up for an hour or so to your desired eating temperature.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

deimos posted:

Err no, you don't do icewater to shock, you do ice water to reduce the time bacteria get to do the auto-horizontal-mambo in the danger zone, you always want to icewater down to fridge-friendly temp then toss on the fridge.

Well by "shock" I just meant "reduce the temperature to a fridge-appropriate level in a short amount of time". Depending on the temperature at which the rump roast was puddled, I personally wouldn't have a problem leaving it out at room temp to cool down enough to not significantly impact the environmental temperature in the fridge. I'm sure SubG could jump in with some logarithmic pasteurization math bullshit about a 1.5 lb roast puddled at X temp for 24 hours to prove me right/wrong, but I've done similar things plenty of times and never suffered for it. Then again, I live on the edge.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Psy890 posted:

Older eggs are easier to peel.

True, but I think Choadmaster was referring to eggs that have already been cooked, and their shelf life after refrigeration. However difficult an egg is going to be to peel is set in stone after they've been cooked and chilled no matter their age pre-cook. This is also a black art that has no answers.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Juice Box Hero posted:

I wanted to see if I could make some steaks of a chuck roast. I cut nine thin "steaks" out of a bottom round roast I purchased for about $25.

I froze the steaks, and some blobs of worcestershire + butter, then bagged and vac'd the steaks in pairs, each with a butter-worcester blob

I tried cooking a pair at 134 F for about 2 hours. They came out chewy, but edible sliced thin. No juice. Flavorless.

Then I tried a pair at 150 F for 48 hours and they came out sort of dry but flaky and tender, and more flavorful. Plenty of juice for a gravy, which helped a lot. It pretty much tasted like pot roast. Good, but not worth 48 hours unless you're getting more than a couple servings out of it. A whole roast would probably be good this way.

E: I guess my conclusion is that chuck will never be steak. Unless some goon knows better.

Nah, chuck will never be steak, with all of its connective tissue that needs to break down into lip-smacking gelatin.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

So my anova one is throwing an "error" every time it tries to start circulating. Not sure whats going on but I'm in contact with anova support. In the event they don't offer a replacement to me, is the Anova Precision cooker a good choice is or the Anova One still the gold standard?

I absolutely adore my Anova Precision Cooker, use it frequently, and have never had an issue with it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That was MUCH more entertaining than I expected.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Captain Bravo posted:

Also, should I know who Michael Pollan is?

Probably, if you care about food and/or food politics.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

kensei posted:

Tonight's dinner, three hours at 129 and finished on the BBQ. Potatoes and Asparagus, a great Father's Day dinner!

Goodness, I can see the flavor. Great pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crusty Nutsack posted:

meh.com (the original woot people) has a refurb vacuum sealer today for $15. https://meh.com

Awesome, thanks!