Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So i planned on making steaks wednesday night, so I SV'ed them to 136F for 2 hours on Tuesday. Plans didn't end up working out, so they've been sitting in the fridge. Are they still good? Any idea how much longer they would be ok to cook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Subjunctive posted:

I have to say, half of my circulator use these days is for thawing frozen food on demand. They should advertise that more.

I never thought of that before...I've definitely used it to 'cook' frozen things like chicken thighs or steaks, but it was always coming up to the normal temp (160 or 135, respectively).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

There’s been complaints in the comments of many of his recipes and he has admitted he has a pretty high tolerance for salt.

I think he actually revised the oven baked wings recipe because too many people (myself included) complained.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Feenix posted:

Herrrre we go!

[Edit] done!

Wagyu Akaushi

21 Day Dry-Aged NY Top Loin

So which one tasted better?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My Anova Sous vide from like 5-6 years ago just broke.

Recommendations on new ones? Does the 150 watt difference between the nano and the normal one matter? Mine didn’t have Bluetooth or anything, so I don’t care much about that.

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 21, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I ended up buying those grill grates for my Weber grill and they are amazing to cook with.

As an added bonus, they suggest flipping them over to get a flat surface to use as a griddle.

I think they’re made out of aluminum or something but it ends up being an amazing surface to sear a steak on.

It’s basically like a baking steel but it stays in my grill all the time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Phanatic posted:

Ghee is easy as poo poo to make.

Melt a bunch of butter over medium heat. Keep it there until it foams. Keep it there for longer until it starts to boil. Keep it there for longer until the boiling stops, which means the water's been driven off. You don't want to burn the milk solids, so lower the heat if you need to to stop that from happening, but it's fine if they get a bit brown. Cool it, strain it into something. You have ghee. No need to spend extra money buying premade ghee when it's so easy to make.

You can get it at Trader Joe’s for dirt cheap though-totally worth it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We’re having some friends over tomorrow and one of them is pregnant.

I was going to grill some boneless short ribs along with other things and with boneless short ribs you want them cooked medium rare. Otherwise you braise them and cook them for a while.

So I know she shouldn’t eat medium rare steak. Could I sous vide it to 128 degrees for 2 hours and then do a quick sear on the grill? Would that 1) make it safe to eat and 2) would it affect the overall taste?

It’s obviously up to her but I know when my wife was pregnant that was all she wanted was a medium rare steak and we didn’t sous vide stuff at the time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

I read Meathead’s book and it was really food-sciencey, but I just wish he’d touched on sous vide at all. Not surprising he didn’t because all he does is talk about BBQ and meat science and bust myths but even after I got my sous vide I had to do a ton of research on the web to figure out the pasteurization thing and know that the food would be safe to eat

I’m really curious to hear how the SV+ smoked pork shoulder works out for you.

I’ve smoked a few pork shoulders now, but the inconsistent time drives me crazy. However, if I can lock down the cook time with sous vide and still get smoke+great bark, then it’s worth a shot.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Going to cook my first brisket this week using meatheads method.

It’s only my wife and my toddler and I for a 11 pound brisket. From what I’ve been told, it doesn’t reheat easily, so I’m thinking of separating the point and flat (it’s about 11 pounds untrimmed) and cooking one, learning from my mistakes, and cooking the other next time.

Good idea? Or should I just cook it all at once? If cooking just one-is one part more forgiving than the other? My MES 18.5” will fit the whole thing and I can monitor the temp pretty easy with the FireBoard and fan.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

That’s how I did it. Check in the smoking thread (haven’t I seen you in that thread?) too. Basically I hosed up the flat and it got a little overdone because I was gone too long and when I got home it was 209 internally. Luckily I have the point so I get a second shot. I would have smoked the whole packer but my smoker isn’t big enough, so it worked out since I get that second shot. I don’t know for sure so confirm with someone who is more experienced but I think the point should be more forgiving since it has more fat.

But since you’re posting in the SV thread, I imagine you’re going to toss it in the water bath. Even the (lean) flat should be better off in SV alone, but if you smoke it after you know exactly the highest temperature it got to and it doesn’t need to be in there as long. It just cooks in SV basically in its own juices and shouldn’t get dry.

My flat, I smoked all the way though.

No, I meant to post this in the smoking thread and thought this was it because the talk about pork shoulder-whoops!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Zarin posted:

What is a good temperature to sear a steak or something at post-sous vide?

I used to do it over wood, and I think that got Extremely Hot, as it would make the stainless steel rack glow orange in spots.

I moved into an apartment, and I'm looking at getting some sort of outdoor cooking appliance to do my searing on. It seems that Weber propane grills are designed to cap out at 500 or 550 degrees; that seems kinda low to me.

I have a Weber propane grill and use Grill Grates on it and it gets an amazing seat. I flip the grates over and use the griddle/flat side for searing

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Zarin posted:

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/King-Kooker-...250501339&psc=1

Or something a bit nicer? (This was just the first link I saw on Amazon; I saw there was another for twice as much but I don't know what the difference was)

Something like this?
https://www.weber.com/US/en/accesso...hQaAm8nEALw_wcB

Although you said yours has a flat side. I guess I have enough cast iron pans lying around that I could just use one of those, I suppose . . .

For your technique, do you put the steak on and close the lid for however long, then open/flip/close again? Or do you leave the lid open and continuously spoon butter over it as it goes or something?

https://www.grillgrate.com

I don’t use butter-I just get the grill nice and
Hot and then flip the steak a bit until I get the sear I want.

Have heard grill grates are the poo poo. I just got measured for some because the ceramic coated ones that came with the grill are rusting like a bastard

I love them-best thing I’ve bought for my grill in a long time.

Cleaning can be a pain if you use marinades/etc, but most of the stuff burns off and I can do a deep clean with soap every few months.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Do a presear too

What’s the reason for a presear as well?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Random Hero posted:

Any recommendations on a sous vide container with a lid? For typical cooks, I'll use a stock pot but I like something bigger for larger groups or something like pork shoulder. The Anova container looks nice especially with the built in rack to keep things submerged but the price is definitely up there.

Just buy a Cambro with a lid and cut a hole in the lid.

Cambro 12-Quart Camwear Square Food Storage Container, Polycarbonate, Clear, NSF https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001MRUKA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WQCCM5TBDVPHNAD9FJYC

Cambro SFC12SCPP190 Seal Covers, 12, 18 & 22 Quart, Pack of 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PMV79E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GFD3K7823WBVS4MWDCK1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Ends up about $25 cheaper than the anova.

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Human Tornada posted:

Honestly I can't think of a good reason to sous vide chicken wings, Kenji's recipe comes out basically perfect.

Is this the one with baking soda and salt where you put them in the fridge overnight prior to cooking?

Those turn out good, but they make a mess out of my oven and the fat dripping makes it smoke quite a bit.