Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

YEAH DOG posted:

Wait until you get some good pork ribs in there. Mmmmmm.

I feel like I should give this a try, but I'm worried that I am completely spoiled by having a smoker and it simply won't compare to smoked ribs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've had a nice big short rib cooking for 48 hours @ 60* C, what's the best way for me to sear and make a sauce from the bag juice?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Flank steak is insanely good s-v'd.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

No, but Under Pressure and Modernist Cuisine are pretty awesome.

If there is one thing that I am thankful for its the PolyScience Sous Vide Toolbox app. Easier than looking up a lot of reference charts, and its pretty easy to use.

I'm sure there is a web app that will do this for free somewhere...

iOS only :argh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Have to say it again but sous vizzle poached eggs are the best eggs. Dropping them in simmering water to set the whites really makes a world of difference.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Leif. posted:

There's a power cable hanging over the edge of the pot, and it's a gas burner. Seems like that'd be a fairly serious fire hazard. Also the manual says not to do that.

Agreed, pretty bad plan. Preheat the water and then take it off the burner if you're going to do that. Seems surprising that it would take so long but I'm probably spoiled by my polyscience unit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Reiterpallasch posted:

My Dorkfood came in earlier this week, and I ended up attempting steak--a NY strip, at 130 degrees for a hour. It came out good, but I had trouble putting a good sear on it with only a minute on each side in my cast iron skillet. I ended up giving it a little more time to develop a crust, and that ended up bringing more gray into the steaks than I really care for. Does anyone have any tips for developing a crust, fast?

Chill that poo poo in the bag with some ice water till it's cooled quite a bit. Dry it, salt it and sear the piss out of it and you'll have extra sear time before the interior is ruined.

I did it last night on a dry-aged steak from whole foods and it had the best crust I've ever had on a steak.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
not safe

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nwin posted:

So I roasted a chicken tonight and was thinking...what about sous vide whole chicken? Legs and breasts cooked the same temp. Only problem is it would have the texture of crock pot chicken and no crispy skin. To correct that, either a torch or dry it off and throw it under the broiler for a bit maybe?

Am I completely insane here?

Best thing to do for that kind of cook is to bag everything individually, cook the thighs for 2 hours at the higher temp, drop the water temp to the temp you want for the breasts cook them for an hour.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I cooked up an extra boneless, skinless chicken breast last night, 2.5h @ 143* F.

Plunged it into a bowl of water with two large blue ice bricks...and then promptly fell asleep for 7 hours before I awoke and found it in the kitchen.

The water was still extremely cold and the meat should have been pasteurized but I need a second opinion if I should keep it or not.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
forgot to test the temp before i took it out of the water and threw it in the fridge.

i'll probably toss it just to be safe, not a big loss.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That thing looks great but I'm going to test out the pork belly version this week and if it goes well, i'm making it for thanksgiving too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Should be good for at least a week. I think Doug Baldwin's site has guidelines for storage time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BrosephofArimathea posted:

It's pretty annoying. Not unexpected though, I guess.

I was going to vizzle up some steaks for a family bbq over xmas for about 30 people, mixed between rare/med/well done. Having a second IC was going to make it simple as hell.

I guess I can still just do the medium ones first, then drop them in with the rare ones to reheat before hitting them all with fire. But still, starting to wish I just picked up an Anova *fistshake*

Do them all in advance, chill and refrigerate, then sear them after you let them come back to room temp. I felt like the chill really helps give it a better sear.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 18, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

What is this?

I think the correct term is "loving disgusting"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So, I'd like to make some :420: infused oil. Any temp suggestions?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Vape poo, so it's probably not going to taste good no matter what. Thanks for the info!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Kenji A-L posted this today, I wish I could convince my in-laws to let me handle the ham this year instead of having another lovely spiral cut ham.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-101-slow-cooked-city-ham-with-balsamic-brown-sugar-glaze.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Salt and pepper are great for seasoning before you s-v it. Same with adding herbs and shallots to your bag.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

d3rt posted:

Wouldn't the pepper burn and taste bad since I'm going to be searing it at a really high 475+ temp?

You'll be fine, but if you want more info here's a good primer:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/sous-vide-steaks-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
A dremel tool works well if you have access to one. I used a hacksaw on the Cambro cover but it's not the best trimming work I've ever done.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How did you season them? I've done flank for 24h with just salt and pepper and it's always amazing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mopp posted:

I have a question about storage for all you sous vide veterans. What is the simplest way to cook-chill-store? The stuff I've read so far suggests bathing the sealed food in ice followed by refrigeration, but an ice bath is really impractical. Are there any simpler solutions rather than dumping the bag into an ice bath?

I'm not all read up on the numbers behind pasteurization, but I assume that I can't pop open a bag after cooking and stuff the meat into a lunch box in my fridge without it (possibly) going bad within a couple of days.

why is an ice bath impractical? if you dont want to use ice cubes these are a great replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-1080-TL-220-Blue-Ice%C2%AE-Block/dp/B0000DH4M3/

I use the stopper and fill up one side of the sink with water and throw 2-3 of those in there for 20 mins and I'm good to go.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
FoodSaver V2461 @ costco (instore) for 50 after coupon:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1336335/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How well does tri-tip sous vide? Picked up two of them today (prime grade). 2-3hrs @ 134*?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
FWIW kenji also mentioned not to use butter in his s-v articles on steak.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't think that cut has enough collagen to warrant cooking it for 3 days. steaks don't really need more than a few hours at temp to be ready to eat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I made a pair of tri-tip roasts (prime grade) this week and they were fantastic. turned out great for steak salads. Cooked @ 136* for 9h.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How did the TJ's tritip taste? I've had mixed results with their vac-packaged meats.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm a big fan of carrots:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/how-to-sous-vide-carrots-vegetables.html

But I would like to see more vegetable recipes too

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

The zip lock bag salmon. It's like my favorite thing and just wows people in texture and taste. The brining makes a big difference and I've never done the fancy coating at the end beyond some herbs.

I made the Cauliflower steaks the other day and tried the same recipe with broccoli. They both turned out good. The texture was like steamed veggies but they kept a lot more of the flavor and water. I didn't end up with a bunch of vegetable juice/stock either.

Nice to hear some more veggie feedback in the thread!

What temp do you use for salmon and which species? Do you torch them or sear?

The one time I tried making salmon it didn't turn out very well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Flank steak is amazing after 24h

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Bulgogi marinade and grill em! They're too thin for Sous vide imo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really don't think it has much--that's why the traditional way to bbq them is hot & fast and not low & slow.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How long is it taking to heat your water from 70 to 130-something? My polyscience only takes 10 maybe 15 mind tops to get to that temp.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The dremel flex head add on would make it even easier to do

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I tend to like my meat medium erring on the side of rarer but not quite medium-rare. So should I cook the ribeye at 145 F for like an hour? Sorry for all these terrible questions but this seems to be the place for answers and I could burn a bowl of cereal my cooking is so bad.

Try something lower, maybe 130-132*.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/03/dry-aged-sous-vide-torched-and-seared-bone-in-ribeye-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anecdotally I have seen some people claim before and after searing is a good thing. I feel like trying it with short ribs soon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Finally tried s-v boneless skinless chicken breast. 140* for 2hrs. tried to brown it a bit before slicing and adding to a salad.

Is there any way to improve the texture of this? I like how juicy and tender it was but it didn't really have the texture I would have preferred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

deimos posted:

Did you chill them before searing? I'd do 139 then chill a bit before searing and see how you like that.

I made them a few days earlier and chilled but I did reheat it in 130* water for a bit before browning. I might try a higher temp as suggested and browning it better.