Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

dutchbstrd posted:

even my lovely food saver has a cutter built in. I thought they all did?

Welp, my 24 dollar foodsaver doesn't, probably why it was so awesomely cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I sold that guy one of my BMWs, why isn't he driving it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
$5-6/lb and up in the northwest. Sucks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Steaks or the best poached eggs you'll ever have are good starters.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jeoh posted:

Weird: Ziploc bag appeared to be leaking (at least I noticed lots of butter floating around in my trashcan), but when I filled it with water nothing was coming out, even when I put some pressure on it.

Getting really loving tired of ziploc bags, what's the recommended vacuum sealer these days?

Cheapest foodsaver you can find. I've used my v2222 for 5+ years and it was only 20 bucks on clearance when I got it.

Try craigslist/offerup/goodwill for cheap ones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yes but you'd be better off leaving it preheated and have her drop it in the water 1-2h before you want to cook it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I haven't made creme brulee the traditional way in a water oven but I did try it sous vide last week and they came out awesome. Highly recommended.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/creme-brulee

i added a tiny bit of vanilla, otherwise I stuck to the recipe.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I dunno, isn't creme brulee more of a custard? I'm no brulee expert but I didn't think it was like pudding.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Who cares, double seals are the way to go for sous vide

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ShadowCatboy posted:

Huh. I was under the impression that even with the Foodsaver double-bagging was recommended for long cook times (as in 72 hour braised short ribs).

Just one bag is all that is needed, but two seals on each end is good insurance

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Norns posted:

I'd like to do 72 hour short ribs and don't have a food sealer. I've always used freezer bags, but have never done a cook longer than 12 hours.

Is it safe to double bag them, or is it time to spend more money on my science cooking?

Have you tried looking for a used one on craigslist? or new on amazon? these things aren't very expensive if you get a no-frills version and they're great for storing food in the freezer. they really do pay for themselves but double or triple bagging should work if you really dont want to commit to it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cultural Imperial posted:

I may finally have a reason to go buy overpriced meat from the hipster butcher shop down the street.

better have them season it before sealing it.

everyone should get a vacuum sealer, just do it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Veritek83 posted:

Relatively traditional isn't the same thing as "just like I cooked it in a crockpot." It appears that most crock pots run at 190 Fahrenheit or higher on the "low" setting (http://www.chowhound.com/post/cooking-temperatures-slow-cooker-725139). Being able to set 175 or 180 and keep it right there gets something that's similar in texture to traditional corned beef, but moister and more tender. The 3 temps example in the Food Lab piece is a good illustration. http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

Not to mention all the aromatics aren't being released into the air like they would with a crockpot.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jose posted:

i tried carrots once and it didn't work and its just not worth it generally. veg doesn't need the precise temps you get from sous vide and you need it up high to get them to even be edible so it probably expensive as hell

What? they're easily worth the effort and "high cost" of running the IC for an hour. You can make several batches and they'll last in the fridge for weeks.

Make creme brules after the carrots are done, they're high temp SV cooks as well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any reason I shouldn't use mason jars to cook some chicken thighs in enchilada sauce? Seems a lot easier than trying to bag the liquid

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah that's what I figured.

I've used them for creme brulee and garlic confit but never anything with meat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

What is the secret for garlic confit that doesn't turn deadly?

I don't think there's any risk of it being deadly if you sous vide it. I think I followed the modernist cuisine method using a shitload of pre-peeled fresh garlic from h-mart.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You can reuse roll bags too if you make them longer than you really need.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've made pork tenderloin before but the texture still never seems right, and difficult to get a nice sear so I stick with grilling em.

And I just tried kenjis recipe for spare ribs and that was a complete waste of time. I'll stick to using my bge. Weird texture @ 152* for 24hrs, smokey flavor just wasn't there and the crust wasn't right either.

I think after all the various sous vide recipes I've tried I really only like it for steak, poached eggs and creme brulee. I'll keep trying but most things are a disappointment imo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I dunno, I was so disappointed with the spare ribs SV that I'd never try it again since I have a smoker anyway.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Alright, I'll stick to Foodsaver, thanks. Wish it were able to seal up egg though (not that ziploc + water is hard), I've come to love SV scrambled eggs.

Gotta get a new vacuum soon though, ruined a $15 steak tonight 'cos it didn't seal right and water got in while I wasn't paying attention. Mutter grumble.

i saw on a blog somewhere that you can use reusable silicone bags for doing sous vide scrambled eggs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

namaste faggots posted:

Does your induction stove make an annoying buzzing noise?

The fan on mine emits a really high pitch whine as you increase the temp

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It helps retain heat but you will still have evaporation without a lid

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Texibus posted:

What vaccum sealer is worth getting under 100 bucks? Or is perfectly fine to just use ziplocks

Food saver v2222 model is great and cheap for basic sealing. Been using mine for 6 years and it was $24.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just wrap sharp ends with a bit of saran wrap

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

People left AB behind and had fond memories of him before they turned on him because of stories about him being weird at live events.

I think it's also part of the general turn away from all the food Network hosts and shows

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so has anyone done any interesting variations on kenji's s-v carrots? making a bunch for christmas eve dinner tomorrow

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm a firm believer that SV will not produce real bbq results. it doesn't matter how much you gently caress with it it's not going to be as good as real BBQ.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

namaste faggots posted:

You know what's disgusting sv'd? Sockeye salmon. Ugh a garbage fish if there ever was.

sockeye is great! but I only grill salmon and never SV it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Midniter posted:

Or, toast your sugar for a nice flavor and something different to top it with. No need to torch it.

Have you tried this and did you notice anything special about the results? My mom tried it and said it was barely noticeable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks like they are doing refunds on the preorders, if you nag them on that FB page

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sterster posted:

This is the recipe.
6 yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
vanilla( it says use vanilla pod but I'm not rich so I've been using like 1tbls of extract.)
pinch of salt

Set bath 181.5f, whisk egg, sugar, vanilla salt untill smooth. Then whisk in cream. Pour mix into quart bag seal . Add bag to water & cook for 1hr. remove bag & shake/mix. Cut corner and fill 4, 4oz jars. Chill for min 3hrs... sugar...blow torch... eat.

try the chef steps recipe, ive done this twice and it was great

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/foolproof-cracklin-creme-brulee

as someone pointed out, should be 175/176ish

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i made the porchetta, it's in the bag in my fridge and ready to eat tonight...worth it to make gravy from the bag juices (looks disgusting) or just make from scratch?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TheQuietWilds posted:

Bag juices tend to have a bunch of albumin and gunk that gives a weird flavor. Bring it up to a boil for 5-6 minutes and then strain out the solids with a coffee filter. Then both the lipid and polar phase will be tastier and cleaner when you separate them out.

ughhh i think i'll just skim some of the fat for roux, dump the joose and use some pork stock from the freezer for the gravy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
had the porchetta last night and HOLY gently caress it was good. my wife was very skeptical going into it, thinking it was going to be too fatty but she liked it

skipped the bag joose poo poo and made gravy from pork stock

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

gaj70 posted:

Perhaps a silly question, can you puddle creme brulee in a large canning jar, then immediately transfer the (still hot) mixture into serving sized ramekins?

The motivation here is that the small canning jars are still awfully big for a rich desert.

just buy a 12pack of these guys, i think the chefsteps recipe will fill at least 8 of them

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Mason-Quilted-Jelly-Bands/dp/B00B80TK2K

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
xpost

BraveUlysses posted:

my dad knows I have a sous vide and found these for free at a garage sale, use them or ??? they are old as hell but unopened

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm making a boneless prime rib for thanksgiving and to my horror, my inlaws want theirs served...gray.

i was planning on doing a reverse sear cook (by cooking on big green egg) and sear to finish in oven but since they want overdone meat i was thinking maybe it would just be easier to sous vide a smaller portion for them at a higher temp and SV the rest of the roast at proper medium rare temp. however i'm concerned that i'm not supposed to cook protiens that are too thick because of how long they're in the danger zone? ive never bothered doing anything SV that is particularly thick. safe to do or should i try something else? maybe the inlaws can eat the edge pieces if i kept the roast whole? they'd probably be a bit closer to gray

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh yeah i'm definitely not going to overcook the whole thing for them

i think i'll sous vide the whole thing and carve off their slices and microwave or broil to finish for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
they did not insist, i asked my wife to ask them how they would like it cooked because i wasnt sure they'd be on board with med/rare