Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yesterday i picked up my prime rib roast for thursday, but since it's fresh not frozen should I:

vacuum AND cook today, ice bath when done and warm up on thursday

or

vacuum today, refrigerate and wait to cook on thursday

orrrr

vacuum today, freeze and cook on thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thanks for the advice, i will salt and put it on a wire rack in a little bit. only a little bit of salt now and then more salt right before searing, right?

i was thinking of searing under the broiler?

or am i overthinking this and maybe i should just make this in the oven with kenji's reverse sear method?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well its not sous vide but i did end up doing that prime rib per kenji's recipe, blasted two slices under broiler for my MiL and FiL, they split one slice and she didnt eat a single bite of it. loving hell.

my dog will eat well for the next day or two, so she's got that going for her.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well it seems like my polyscience sous vide is not able to heat my water bath properly

Rip, it's been used occasionally for 9 years.

Is there anything I can do to fix it or should I just get an Anova

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah I'm not going to spend that kind of money and not get real loving buttons

I dug around on Google and it looks like corrosion can build up on a certain wire so I I'll open it up and look before trying to replace it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Yup same problem a few others on Reddit had posted about. My dad likes fixing this kind of stuff so I’ll have him take care of it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sterster posted:

How the gently caress are the shipping logistics of the globe unforseen. early 2020 sure. Even early 2021.

Hope you get your gadget soon tho! Excited to hear how it performs

The port congestion in Shanghai is over 500 ships right now and was half of that two months ago

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Gonna do sous vide pork shoulder and want more of a Caribbean ish seasoning to it instead of carnitas. I was thinking onion, garlic, orange, bay leaf and oregano?

I want to make something similar to the legendary pork sandwich from Paseo/Un Bien in seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Throw some creme brulee variations at me

I usually use vanilla but was thinking about lemon?