Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culina...316%5Bb%7Cdeals

I'm doing it! Gimme advice.

What's the goon approved torch btw? Should I just get some home depot propane special?

Oh and what tub should I get? That three gallon Rubbermaid? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FVNI6WO/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I'M DOING IT

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

Nice cut on that lid, buddy.

Thanks, It's not perfect but I cut a starter notch with scissors traced it, then dremel'd it out with a dremel sanding disk. Got a little bulge or twenty in the cut where I got a little over zealous with the pressure on the disk but I'm happy. It's far more ghetto and jagged than it appears in the photo though.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 27, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hopper posted:

That is a very good cut indeed. Can I recommend you got to Ikea and buy the much lauded lidholder thing though. Floating a bag in water like that you potentially risk it blocking the water "intake" which can lead to overheating I think.
Also it is a really cool steak rack and is collapsible. I just forgot the name....Variera lid holder it is. Costs about 7 dollars I think.
I had the bag snapped under the lid, but yeah I was eyeballing that thing earlier, thinking about how I needed one.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hopper posted:

That is a very good cut indeed.

Here's a photo without it installed. It's actually quite lovely! It looks decent with the the overhang of the unit though. I think the wife was harassing the poo poo out of me by the time I started the right half.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Also I couldn't actually put the unit in the water without a hole to put it through. Otherwise it would just lay on top doing nothing,

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Dear goons, Pork tenderloin 130 or 135?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Serious eats says to do it at 130. Some goons said it was good. That's why I'm asking.

Anova website has some at 135.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jose posted:

quoting myself from earlier itt

Oh poo poo. That looks perfect.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
gently caress yeah gonna sous vide so hard

Jose posted:

that had 5-6 minutes of searing fwiw as not enough temp to get a better crust

Err him so should I do 135 and a proper sear?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So that 135 loin turned out fantastic. Is there a goon approved Brisket? I've seen a lot of complaining.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

toplitzin posted:

Try chefsteps, I'm finding some of their recipes more successful out the gate.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-brisket

Edit: They have an umami bomb sous vide sauce/marinade, do NOT make a pan sauce with it.

I think people were crying about that recipe I don't know though.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I'm trying a brisket for 48 hours at 133, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I think I'm gonna blow torch it at the end.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Then your username is appropriate. Blowtorching always leads to sadness.

Why so?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

It tends to be uneven and, for lack of a better term, unnatural. You really can't get that proper browning, it tends to be go from zero to just plain charred. It's nothing like something with a proper sear, or slow browned in an oven. I can't imagine it will even close to a proper bark. Certainly give it a shot, but I've never been happy with a blowtorch crust.

You're a blowtorch crust.

So uh how should I finish it without cooking the gently caress out of it?

My options are oven and blowtorch.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

I did a prime rib recipe that had me put the rested rib roast back in a 500+ degree oven for 5 minutes. That gave it a nice even crust without cooking it noticeably further. You could try that.
This sounds reasonable

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Ciaphas posted:

Can confirm after a few weeks with one that screaming hot cast iron > searzall (though I guess that's not an option in this case)

Definitely easier to clean up after a torching if I'm feeling lazy, and easier to deal with bumpy stuff like chicken thighs, so still a handy tool in the box IMO

I have not tried the oven or its broiler, for the same reason Bum the Sad posited, that I figured even 500deg+ wouldn't be hot enough to sear it without cooking it more inside. Guess that depends on the meat in question, though.

You know the brisket is flat and cut into quarters (I did half of it and froze the other)

Honestly I could cast iron it, it'd fit most of it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Ok took out a test piece at 42 hours. Dried wig paper towel and torch. Now have it in the oven at 500 degrees for 10 minutes.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Very tasty. Still a little chewy. Think I'm gonna leave it in till tomorrow afternoonish for a 64-70 hour cook. (Started 8pm Thursday.)

I wonder if it'll ever get truly tender at 133.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 17, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

I like short ribs at 132 for 48 hours but a lot of folks do 72 hours. So I'm sure it's doable, just needs more time. The finish looks pretty good though.

I paper toweled it, then lightly blow torched it(just for drying purposes like that goon suggested) then I threw it in a 500 degree oven for like 9 minutes.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
My Anova has some kind of cold feature but doesn't tell you how to use it. I think you load the container with ice. And then you can start it remotely at some point. Some message board people says the all will yell at you of it gets too warm from the ice melting so you can go ahead and start it early if needed.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
For dissolving hookers.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hopper posted:

Thank you for testing all this. I know pingpong balls are not for me. Too much hassle.
One thing that I would subjectively argue is a pro for a cutout lid vs no lid is less loss of water from evaporation. Not sure how significant that is for medium length boils but over 12 hours it might be a factor.

I did a 72 hour brisket at 135 on my cut out lid tub with the water to the brim (as in when I put the lid on I displaced water out of it onto the counter). After three days water was still in contact with the lid.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

You're pasteurizing your nog.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

Is the meat below the waterline? If so, don't sweat it.

Yeah it's fine. Let the air bubbles chill in the extra space in a corner of the bag. Beef on the bottom let the air float up to a nice spot away from it and forget about it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hopper posted:

Try using muscovado sugar in your creme (Not for caramelizing, only as ingredient.) Makes it infinitely better imho

You're a muscovado sugar

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

rockcity posted:

I made one as a tester this morning and it was pretty awesome. Just used three eggs, some mozzarella and cheddar cheese and caramelized onions and peppers. Threw that all in an 8oz jar and let it go for an hour at 172. Very pleased with the results.

Air at the top of the jar doesn't matter?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Anne Whateley posted:

In those turkey videos, it looks like the columns of flame shoot straight up and don't originate from the burner.

Yeah you'll see flames only start when the pot overflows from rapidly expanding steam shoving oil up and out of the way sending oil down to the burner.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

Why are sealer bags (often?) cross hatched on one side? I don't like the marks on my food.

I think that's the gimmick of food saver. It provides channels for air to escape or some poo poo.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Steve Yun posted:

In a food saver bag, the air is sucked out from inside the bag, causing low air pressure inside the bag. The air outside of the bag is still high pressure, so it squeezes the bag and smushes the bag and food together. If your food creates a seal, there could be trapped air bubbles that stay inside the bag when it gets heat sealed. The cross-hatching pattern acts like straws that the air can escape through when food blocks the way.

That's what I said. gently caress you.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Steve Yun posted:

That is exactly what you said, yes.
Correct.

BrianBoitano posted:

Bum the Sad posted:

Thank you.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

atothesquiz posted:

It acts like corrugated cardboard, allowing air to be pulled out through those "holes". When the bag has been pulled down to a sufficient vacuum, the heater strips melt the bag such that it closes up those "holes", sealing it.

You act like corrugated cardboard.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
You're a menstrual thong.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Knifegrab posted:

So what steak would you recommend that would pair well with a bearnaise?

tube steak

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah they really need to add beef.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I cooked a pork butt for 30 hours yesterday at 146 and then ice bathed it and fridged it. I should be able to throw it right back in the bath to warm it up right?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

VERTiG0 posted:

Throw it in a smoker or charcoal grill! Some of my favourite butts have been done sous-vide at 165 then finished for a few hours at 250 degrees F.

I spiced it Mexican style. Was just gonna cube it and throw it under the broiler to crisp.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Why do you ice bath it?

It would take many hours for a big hunk of meat to cool down from fridge air alone.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I think I'm gonna try the charcoal chimney next time I make steaks. Seems like a nice alternative to smoking up the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

Everything about that is controversial, I bet.

Yeah, chimneys are probably pretty good for this. I don’t need one for my grill/smoker so I haven’t tried.

Adam Savage and Kenji did some video on searing using like a grill, a searzall, a chimney, and an aluminum smelting forge. They were happiest with the Chimney, they failed to include a cast iron as a comparison though.