Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I have some again gift cards and I'm looking to get into the sous vide game. Will something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXC28T6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_T7TyybVF2ZETM
serve as both a starting option and something I won't get frustrated with down the road if I really get into using it?

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

The Anova is currently on sale for $129.99 if anyone else is like me and has been lurking in this thread waiting for a sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culina...&keywords=anova

Edit: Since I'm new to the sous vide game, would there be benefit to using a cast iron dutch oven as the cooking vehicle? I imagine it might take longer to heat but might stabilize temperatures better. Thoughts?

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 4, 2017

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I'll probably be doing my first sous vide this weekend. Thinking about doing steak and the carrots I've seen people talking about. On hand I have a polypropylene cambro, will that be suitable for those temperatures or should I consider a different vessel?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Anyone in here caramelize onions in their sous vide? Better, worse, about the same as in a Dutch oven?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I have some homemade chicken sausage that when cooked on the stovetop comes out a little too dry. Would Sous vide cooking help?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

The Midniter posted:

It depends. How much fat does it contain? If it's super lean, it may not be terribly moist even cooked sous vide, but it should still help. I puddle my sausages at 155 for an hour with a quick sear afterwards and they always come out amazing. Depending on the type of chicken you used to make the sausage, I'd say 150 if it's all/mostly white meat, 155-160 if it's mostly dark meat.

It was one of my first attempts at sausage, approximately 80/20. It was a mix of breast and thigh. Worst case scenario if it doesn't turn out that well I'll just have to make more sausage.

Edit: Status report: I don't think it really made a difference. As I said before they were a first attempt at sausage so they weren't that great to begin with. I may try again some other time with better sausages.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 26, 2017

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Yesterday I did a pork tenderloin (2hours at 135 degrees) but plans changed so I left it in the bag and tossed it in the fridge for today. What's the best way to reheat it? I was planning on searing it but I'm not sure if that will do the trick. Also, any risk for food born illness?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Doing a 48 hour short rib and woke up to a punctured bag filled with water. How much of an effect on the finished product will that have, if at all? I'm guessing it was filled with water for maybe 4-5 hours after only being submerged for about 12. I'm just hoping I'm not going to lose a lot of flavor.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

lifts cats over head posted:

Doing a 48 hour short rib and woke up to a punctured bag filled with water. How much of an effect on the finished product will that have, if at all? I'm guessing it was filled with water for maybe 4-5 hours after only being submerged for about 12. I'm just hoping I'm not going to lose a lot of flavor.

These are still cooking with no additional leaks but I'm still curious what the effect of the bag leak will be. I'm also curious if there are any food safety concerns I should have. Thoughts?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

If I were to cook a whole pork belly sous vide, such as you might do for ramen, will it freeze well?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Is it possible to break up a long sous vide cook time, for instance two 12 hour cooks instead of one 24?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

what circumstance would that be something that you would want to do?

Despite plenty of evidence to the contrary my wife is not ok with it being on while we're not home due to a concern something could go wrong.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Planning to try something this weekend and wanted to run the plan past this thread. I want to make chicken ballentine. The steps I was planning are:
1. De bone the carcass.
2. Stuff/wrap a spinach and mushroom stuffing.
3. Dry brine
4 Vacuum seal and cook, possibly 150 for 3 hours.
5. Ice bath
6. Finish in air fryer to crisp skin.

The thing I'm not super confident on is whether or not I can get crisp skin afterwards. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Why not dry brine before the filling?
1. No reason to dry brine filling
2. Salting both sides will lead to much faster penetration
3. When it starts to exude water at first, I don't trust mushrooms not to soak it all up before it can be reabsorbed. Mushrooms are fast little sponges.

Also, if you actual fry, maybe start in the fryer and then move to the oven, the way you do for fried chicken? It's a lot less greasy imo

Actually, deboned and stuffed, it's thick/solid enough that reverse searing completely in the oven might be another good option

Yeah I wasn't sure about the best sure to brine either. Thanks for the feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Doing the modernist cuisine sous vide potatoes recipe but had to double it and the water temp significantly dropped upon putting the potatoes in. Should I start the clock when it gets back to temp or right away? (recipe calls for 35 minutes at 158°)