Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm using a simple PID temperature controller ("on - off") with a hot plate for my sous-vide needs.
Today I ran into an issue however: I don't have any container big enough for large t-bones, that can also go on a hotplate.
I borrowed my mom's gigantic "fish pan" that she uses exclusively for ray wings and all was well. That thing holds like 8 - 10 liters.
Were I to invest into something that can handle a gigantic amount of plastic bags, is that my best bet ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Chemmy posted:

Do you guys not fill your bath with hot tap water?

My hot tap is like 46C (115F).

drat, that's cold hot water.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Young people and their fancy toys that break down in a matter of days...

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Spatule posted:

Young people and their fancy toys that break down in a matter of days...

OMG that was amazing. 18hours 68C (marinated) pork spare ribs, finished on a gas grill for 30sec per sice. Tender but not mushy, flavorful, best ribs ever.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Plinkey posted:

lovely pic, but just finished some 72 hour short ribs, didn't even need a knife. Very good for $4 a pound.

I stress about leaving my setup unattended, so 72h is out... but to satisfy my curiosity anyway: which temp did you use ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm thinking we should hold a meeting where everyone brings their puddle machine and we all sizzle some ribs at different temperatures and durations, so they all finish together, then we compare.
I loved the 68C - 18h ones I just did because it was just the right balance -to me- of soft but not too soft texture with rendered fat (no knife required) and "short" cooking time, but maybe I' missing out by not doing 24h at 63.5 or whatever.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Do not puddle ribeye at 136f for 8 hours, it will be dryish.
130f for 4 hours is the only way.

8h and 136f made the rest of the rib divine though. Better than ribeye at 130f.

I guess the conclusion is that you should only puddle uniform cuts of meat ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

deimos posted:

No it's the 8 hours where you hosed up, I feel 2-4h at 135 would probably be your best bet for your taste.

That is my usual approach, but then the rest of the rib is not as amazing as it was yesterday, it really needs the longer timefor the fat to render.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Just made chicken liver skewers at 63c for 20 min and they were amazing. 30 sec on the grill to finish.
So creamy, melt in your mouth tender (literally).

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Why does Anova need to go through kickstarter exactly ? Aren't they a pretty established lab equipment company ? Guess it brings them more dough...

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Does sous vide have any potential for dessert-making? That's really more my area of interest and these machines are so cool, but I'm a little lost at what kind of sweets they could help produce other than maybe like custards and puddings.

You can cook bananas so they don't brown but still taste pretty much raw, skipping lemon juice for better taste thus, and other similar cool tricks.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Doing pork spare ribs for father day, any suggestions ?
Last time I did 18h at 70c and it was great but classic (like a braise)
Thinking of 36h at 63....

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Pork spare ribs done 48h at 63c were absolutely amazing. Like butter, juicy and pink like ham.
They were breaking apart coming out of the bag.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
That's ridiculous. My cheap PID controller automatically goes back to previous settings after a power outage, or whenever I use it actually, which means it remembers settings from months without any issue. I wanted to upgrade to something like the Anova, but that's a serious flaw for something that can cook for days.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

ShadowCatboy posted:

Holeee shiiit. 72 hour shortribs seasoned with a spice mix are amazing. :stare:

Will post recipe and pics after I do another batch. This one was just too delicious.

Please do, I just bought some today ! At least the temperature.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

deimos posted:

That will be super nice the day you lose power for 8 hours straight and never even realize it.

IF this ever happened, and so far it never has in the last 30 years, I would see that the various clocks/alarms and appliances like the microwave display the wrong time or just the default --:-- .
The duration of the outage would be the difference between my watch and what the alarm clock says (for example) and I could thus decide to trash or not the food I was cooking.
Still better than the Anova.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Don't botulism spores die in your stomach anyway, like with honey ? As in: botulism is only bad when you inhale it, and for babies ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Speaking of risk and ignoring it:

I just cooked the worst possible quality bone-in ribeye I could find into unicorn meat !

EDIT: a few seconds in boiling water to kill any surface bacterias was the first step. I suppose you could grill the steak first.

1h at 39C
1h at 49C
2h at 54C
30 sec/side on the grill

Don't do this at home I guess.

It was as tender and tasty as most dry-aged meat I've ever had. When I cooked this meat the usual way in the past (dump on the grill, let warm up under foil for 30min or so), it was tough to the point of being inedible.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 30, 2014

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

geetee posted:

Did you just make this up or got the idea from somewhere else? I'm so confused. Also, I'm entirely lost on grilling a steak for 30 minutes... under foil? Please advise because this sounds like insanity.

Got the idea reading a paper by Douglas Baldwin about enzyme (the ones that break down proteins) activity temperatures, one type stops above 39c, the other above 49c.
Also, it's 30 SECONDS, not minutes.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

That sounds really bad - lots of time for bacterial growth at optimal growth temps, and not getting it hot enough to kill many of them. An hour at 54C is more than adequate for a steak.

That thing was 1.5" thick, hence the 2 hours. I wanted some fat to render too.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

geetee posted:

Did you just make this up or got the idea from somewhere else? I'm so confused. Also, I'm entirely lost on grilling a steak for 30 minutes... under foil? Please advise because this sounds like insanity.

Ok now I see what you meant with the 30 minutes thing: I meant on the grill for whatever time needed, then let it rest. Should have been 10minutes, not 30.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
backer-caatcd52

29 days to go !

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Etrips posted:

:gonk: Noooooooo.

Thanks for the heads up, will probably still pick one up now.

Dude, you can live with cooking appliances that don't connect to internet / your cellphone... I pull up amazing things using an old PID controller and a hot plate.

http://www.auberins.com/ and http://www.amazon.com/Electric-1000W-Single-Burner-White/dp/B003WSOCFG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408482319&sr=8-4&keywords=hot+plate

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
My nieces (9 and 11yo) apparently only like fish either raw (yay !), or cooked to death (Salmon and Tuna at 60C -> sad panda). At least at these temps there's no need to sear after sous vizzling... Half proud of them...
Still need to get them to like nori and rice with vinegar to keep the costs down though.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I have started doing more complex things sous-vide (see previous posts) and would really like to get an Anova / Nomiku / Sansaire circulator.
Being in Europe apparently makes it difficult to buy these, any reliable sources that would ship to Belgium ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Test Pattern posted:

My Anova just did the weirdest thing -- it beeped like it had come to temp and when I went to put the food in, it showed 285F. It fluctuated a bit between 250 and 285, then shut off. Plugging it and unplugging it seemed to help. Anyone else seen that?

Were you heating oil instead of water or am I missing something with those temps ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

lemon infused vodka were amazing.

Got a guide? I have trouble visualizing the process and my tepid puddle machine hasn't seen much use recently.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I put the peels of four lemons in a 750ml mason jar (I will use 8-10 lemons next time). Fill with vodka, put on lid but not too tight. Fill puddle machine up to jar lid, but not submerged (I guess you could submerge but I read against it for vodka). Puddle at 135F for two-three hours.

Remove and let cool. Strain out peels, add simple syrup and a bit of lemon juice (you did squeeze after peeling, right?) to taste. Chill and get hammered.

I made a double batch with the big bottle of Costco Vodka, so it was two mason jars worth. When I was done I filled the vodka bottle and one mason jar of finished product.

I now have two handles of Tito’s ready to go to make the next batches.

I'll give this a try, thanks.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Hopper posted:

Did you have it on your bedroom or what?

How else are you gonna warm up lube? (the answer is baby bottle warmer of course)

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I remember making high proof alcohol gels a few years ago as an experimenter. Worked pretty well. Anyone know how to best make something that could be used as hand sanitizer using pure ethanol (or pharmacy stuff, I don't intend on eating it)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Since when can't pregnant women not eat medium rare steak wtf?