Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

I've been searching around trying to find some good info and figured I'd ask here as well - has anyone done venison sous vide? My buddy gave me a roast from the rear quarter, so something like a rump roast, as well as a steak cut from lower on the same leg. Both are quite lean and will hopefully cook up well with this method, but I'm wondering how long they should stay in the water. Any ideas? Going to cook them up for dinner tomorrow so hopefully they turn out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

qutius posted:

venison sous vide?

I ended up doing the roast for 13 hours and the steak for 2.5 at 130 degrees, everyone liked the steak but the roast was outstanding. Both went well with a tart cherry sauce.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Phanatic posted:

Let's talk deer. Buddy of mine's got a freezer packed with doe. Doe loin, doe chops, doe steak, ground doe, you name it. Ultra-lean meat that you don't want to overcook sounds perfect for sous-vide. Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

I did some venison last month, a rump roast along with a steak taken from about the same area. Both were cooked to 131, the roast for 13 hours and the steak for 2 or 3. The steak was ok, but the roast was amazing.

With the loin I think the best bet is a shorter cooking time (1-2 hours) around 130 - 131, but those steaks and chops will want to go for 5 - 6 hours IMO.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

I've got a nice looking chuck roast in the water right now, should I pull it at 24 hours or is 48 the way to go?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

sous vide burgers are legit as fuuuuuck

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

I finally did some local spicy Italian sausages last night at 150 degrees for about an hour and finished them on the grill. God drat they were ridiculously tasty! Going to try the standard brats next, with the salty beer that was talked about on the previous page. Did up some thick cut pork chops at 140 as well, love how well pork turns out at that temp.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Subjunctive posted:

I SV in a 16qt Cambro, which I leave full for both convenience and conservation reasons. My current non-wifi Anova takes a fair while to get it up to even fish temps, let alone vegetables. Are there higher-power ones that people recommend?

I saw https://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-SV1-Sous-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00HFDPM6W at 1500W, but other than its questionable aesthetics I don't know much about it.

I should add that I'm in Canada, and would rather not run a dryer plug to my counter.

Why not just throw some water in a pot on the stove, or if you have one, the electric kettle to help bring water to where you need it to be?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

G-III posted:

Just did baby back ribs yesterday at 165f for 12 hours. Absolute magic.

Sometimes its hard for me to enjoy food this good because I fee like this method is almost like cheating. All I had to do was spice things up accordingly, bag it, throw it in a hot puddle, and wait.

How did you finish them?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Got a chuck roast in the vizzle and am thinking about finishing it in the smoker once its time in the water is done.

It is at 134 right now and I was going to let it cook for 48 hours, but I could pull it at any time and get it in the smoker. Any suggestions or tips?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

namaste faggots posted:

Why not just straight up smoke it? If you SV it, any additional time spent cooking is just going to make it overcooked.

Yup, done that recently. Just spitballing on how to finish the roast and looking for an excuse to fire up the smoker on these rainy days I think.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The last time this came up:

Yeah, smoke ring formation drops off as the meat is heated and effectively stops entirely by the time the meat hits around 140 F.

For most meats this means that you can pretty much finish in the oven or puddle machine without any meaningful change in quality. I think brisket is a counterexample, as you just won't get as good bark formation this way. A lot of people actually seem to prefer less bark, though. Like the bark in the Chefsteps photos looks pretty sad to me, but they're apparently happy with it so whatever.

Really the major advantage that I can see to doing a brisket s-v is that you can get away with using a l'il trimmed brisket without worrying about it drying out. Well, I guess ya pretty much have to use a trimmed brisket. Like when I run the smoker I pretty much never do less than about 15# of meat, and typically do 20# or more. None of the common consumer-grade puddle sticks are really up to cooking that much at a time.

Thanks! I thought this topic had been discussed recently.

qutius fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 5, 2016

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Carillon posted:

I just cooked a pork shoulder sous vide for 24 hours, http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe.html. it's sooooooo good. Can't recommend it enough.

What temp did you go with? I've got a pork shoulder that I need to cook up and this seems fun.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Crunkjuice posted:

Just a lack of evenness in my part due to the heavy 14 inch cast iron skillet being unlevel on my lovely stove. And I don't think I got it hot enough, and I just did oil. Next time I'll wait to get it hotter, butter+garlic+ some herb?

pre-heating the pan in the oven will help that out

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Here's another one:

anova2-t3ttads7

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Steve Yun posted:

It goes with the 4.75 galllon cambro

https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189...rds=cambro+4.75

Still up for grabs

I'll take it off your hands. You wanted something like 7 bucks + shipping? I'll shoot you a PM.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I store my sealer awkwardly out of the way, but I have enough space that I don't really have to.

I have many more spices than that, but I *think* a half-pint will fit in my drawer so that's OK. Where did you get yours? Amazon and walmart aren't giving me online shopping love in this area.

I grab mine where is most convenient. Sometimes the hardware store (like True Value or whatever), other times Target and the like.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

rockcity posted:

Also, who was expecting him to not be weird at a live event?

Seriously, the guy has always seemed super weird, nerdy, and geeky. I'd still love to have a drink with him, though.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Norns posted:

24 or 48 hours @ 136 for a 3lb boneless chuck roast? I'm looking for a steak like texture vs roast. I made a black garlic kalbi marinade I'm gunna bag it with.

Never done a cook longer than 8 hours. Thankfully this cut is cheep as gently caress if I screw it up.

I think you're looking at something like 24 or 36 hours for the texture you're shooting for.

Or, do this one at 24 and the next at 48 and see which you like best.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

kirtar posted:

It was water displacement with a ziploc.

and then vac sealed, in a second bag.

just do one vac seal bag for long cooks, you'll be fine.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

It seems that my Anova touchscreen unit may have stopped heating water properly. I noticed it taking forever to warm things up here today so I swapped out the cold water with hot water, and have been watching the temp just drop over the past several minutes. I used it last two days ago. The water is still moving around and the unit seems to be working fine otherwise. Is this how these things die?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

RIP

Guess its time to look for a replacement.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If it's cooling it instead of heating it you might have reversed the polarity on the plug

drat you

Merkin Muffley posted:

Yeah, same thing happened to mine after 2 years of solid use/abuse. It struggled to maintain temp and started smelling of ozone while it was running until one day it decided to let out all of its magic blue smoke. The touchscreen and motor still worked fine, it just stopped heating up.

For what it's worth, Anova support gave me 25% off a new unit (on top of the sale price, so it was like $75)

guess I'm paying the dummy tax for not contacting them and singing their praises to get a discount...

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Doing my first batch of bacon, been sitting at 145 over night. I had done a batch of chicken thighs at 165 earlier, so it made sense to let the water cool down a bit and toss the bacon in. Normally I let it bake in the oven at 350 until it gets real nice, we'll see if this method is better.

Those bone-in, skin on chicken thighs are so drat delicious, perfect for a quick lunch!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

That bacon turned out really great. I cooked up four pieces to give it a try, and seared each one a little longer than the next. For those who like crispy bacon, it's nice to have things crispy but the bacon still super tender/melty. I probably won't do this often, but it was a neat and tasty experiment.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Trastion posted:

Yeah this was my first time and I was following a couple site's recommendations. I think I will go with a higher temp next time also. How much does time really affect it though if you are holding it at the same temp? Mine was unshelled also.

increased time will impact texture

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

sterster posted:

Anyone have suggestions on a rub to do brisket with. I'm new to the whole bbq thing and I'm not sure what to do. Was planning on doing Mesquite smoke if that matters.

salt + pepper

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Megabound posted:

Holy hell, my Anova arrived today so I bought a couple of porterhouse steaks to test it out and goddamn if they weren't the best steaks I had ever cooked in my life. I am an immediate convert.

do some thick rear end pork chops next. SO good!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Anne Whateley posted:

RIP the W&W ketosis thread

In some cases, literally RIP

do explain / provide a link?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

The Hambulance posted:

My local Costco has 20 lb pork shoulders in sealed plastic bags that I would love to use for pulled pork. Is it foolish to try to SV a piece of meat this large? I have a cooler large enough to cook it, I just don't know if there are any practical limitations on the size.

I was thinking of trying 74C for 20~22 hours, followed by dry rub and a 2 hour smoke.

those are probably two or maybe even three shoulders in one pack, de-boned. would be best to ask one of the guys behind the glass to make sure, tho.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Knifegrab posted:

Hey guys I was thinking about microwaving this steak, yay or nay?

coffee mug steak is one of my all time favs

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Knifegrab posted:

What is like a super cheap cut that I can make pretty tasty with sous vide? Like something lovely and tough I can cook forever?

Beef short ribs or a chuck roast.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

No lies, I would eat the hell out of that.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

ShaneB posted:

Got an Anova from my wife for xmas and my mother in law had a beefy vacuum sealer she wasn't using that is now mine as well. Time to seal and boil some poo poo.

Besides ribeyes, what are some go-to's I should cook immediately?

Some sort of pork, a chop or a tenderloin.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

That looks proper as gently caress.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Did the 2 hour smoke/48 hour chuck roast this weekend, served it up tonight for a proper Sunday supper. Did a pile of onions with some butter and the bag juice, certainly a highlight. Roasted broccoli and cauliflower, some good wine, and a chuck roast that ate like prime rib. Not bad! No pictures, we all dove in head first.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Had much first bag puncture while doing a piece of bone-in pork shoulder to finish up on the smoker this weekend.

It was a pin-hole sized puncture, but large enough to cause leakage both direction, water in the bag and juice in the container. I'm sure everything is still safe to eat, but the flavor would be rather watered down by this point. Is that a safe assumption? Should I continue with my plan, or toss this piece? I have time to re-do things from a quantity perspective if I need to, but I still want to put out a quality product too. Thoughts?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Cool, thanks guys! I'll still toss that hunk on the smoker but earmark it for a good taste test before I put it out to serve. If its not up to par, I'll just freeze it until I can use it for another application where I can doctor it up as needed. Makes sense to me!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Bottom Liner posted:

Pork shoulder is pretty resilient. I'd re-rub and finish it on the grill too. Should still be delicious.

I had a foodsaver bag open on the side seal last week for a corned beef (175 degrees, 10 or so hours) and I was pissed. Luckily is was corned beef so it really didn't matter but I had to clean the Cambro and Anova pretty well from the greasy juices.

Thankfully neither the cambro or the Anova were very dirty from this little puncture so maybe it isn't as bad as I suspect. Either way, re-rub and onto the smoke it'll go!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have a process that makes it easy. Run the juice through a cheese cloth and a seive. Strain out all the goop. After the sear deglaze with the juice and a bit of wine. Reduce and stir in some butter until it's smooth.

Pour all over that poo poo.

I'll have to give that a try (or chilling it first) because I've never had good luck with bag sauce either.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

BrianBoitano posted:

Hell yeah. Just finished making the bacon fat tortillas for it!

oh my

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I picked up some ribs but rain for the 10 day. Anyone done a McRibwich attempt SV?

You're going to let a little rain stop you from enjoying some delicious smoked ribs?!