Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
How'd you get that name?

What's the time and temperature needed to make upside-down dogcake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

nwin posted:

By the way, what would happen if I just took a chicken breast and cooked it for 8 hours instead of the normal 1-3 hours?

An 8hr chicken breast will probably turn into chicken pudding.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
When puddling multiple dishes, are you just doing one at a time and setting aside or what

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You can just cook them all at their appropriate temperatures and chill them in an ice bath, then reheat everything to the temperature of the lowest-temp item in the meal (so for carrots you cook them at 180F, then reheat them at 125F or whatever you're cooking your steak at)

Ahhh, clever!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

uPen posted:

I think I'm going to lightly freeze my meat before puddling it going forward. Didn't notice some blood getting sucked through the seal when vaccing my brisket and now it's ruined. :negative:

Is the food truly ruined if the contents leak out? Can you re-seal the bag and let it go to full pasteurization?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

DiverTwig posted:

I went with the Hacker kit, which will be my 2nd and 3rd jacuzzis.

I did the same, and good thing too because all the other tiers are pretty much gone.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

uPen posted:

It was more the 20 hours of water leaking in that did it.

Okay so you basically braised the hell out of the dish... But if you caught a leak early enough we're not talking about contamination risks are we?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Nothing but leather pouches filled with 5/16"-36 form taps for me.

What were you thinking? You should be using bottom taps so that the bags stay all the way down

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Use oil with a higher smoke point, and then you won't have to keep the oil smoking as long. The goal is to sear the steak, and using a low-smoke-point oil only means you have to cook it in the pan longer.

You can also deep-fry the meat to achieve the same effect without having to bring the oil to its smoke point.

Searing fast is better than searing hard. If you don't want to use any oil at all, pat down the meat and sear it with a torch.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

deimos posted:

Look, it doesn't NEED WiFi, but if you're going to do any sort of connectivity for the kitchen while connected to AC power bluetooth is pants in the head retarded compared to WiFi.

WiFi would allow for desktop app integration, whereas bluetooth leaves it primarily in the "mobile app" territory.

FishBulb posted:

I know piling on new technology as terrible is a thing people like to do on the internet for some reason but pardon my ignorance here, with people SVing their stuff for 24-72 hours on occasion wouldn't some kind of wifi accessible status control be useful? That way if there's some kinda critical failure while you're at work or something at least you could know and somehow perhaps salvage it?

Agreed, but how often are we actually changing anything with the cooker? I can't imagine any change other than taking something like brisket, cooking at 180f and then dropping to a hold temperature.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Etrips posted:

Think I'm going to pick up one of the Anovas now instead of waiting. Tired of how my meats are coming out because I'm a terrible cook. Plus the bluetooth functionality is pretty neat. Hope those coupons from earlier still work!

Bluetooth is on the next generation of Anova, which doesn't ship until October. If you buy one today you get the Anova without bluetooth.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Samizdata posted:

Huh. I thought I saw something about it chilling it afterwards too. Oh, well, I can't afford any of these toys any way, so I am lucky I remembered it at all.

Nope, the goon involved specifically said that going from cold to hot was doable, but the reverse direction (hot to cold) not so much.

Drive By posted:

Cold to hot takes 10 minutes, hot to cold takes 2 hours or more, room temperature to cold takes an hour or so. The major benefit is keeping food safe while you're away fromthe kitchen, but the more we play with it, the more we find out you can do some funky things when you have full control of the temperature spectrum.

Drive By posted:

Sorry nwin, I thought that was the case you were originally referring to. I can't recommend you do cook-chill with our thing, for most foods the core temperature won't decrease fast enough to guarantee safety.

The general cooking curve our algorithm goes through is: chill for a while, cook just in time, decrease temperature slightly if necessary for some reason (when it's possible).

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

No Wave posted:

I don't really understand the clamp. What's a use case?

It's for when you're done burning stuff and need to put down the very very hot torch cone on a table without it falling over.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

I'm really really not seeing the reason to use this instead of the open gas flame.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

eddiewalker posted:

Diffusing the heat?
I was under the impression that you want to sear as fast as you can to develop the crust, without transferring heat to the meat inside. Wouldn't diffusing the heat only make searing take longer?

How does sticking a metal cone on the flame reduce the byproducts of combustion?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
It's hardware and not user-serviceable. Don't worry about firmware.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

KirbyJ posted:

So I have a couple of brand new Lodge pans, will I be able to sear my steaks in a dry 450 degree pan for a minute on each side without it sticking like crazy? It's going to be my first time dealing with both cast iron and sous vide.

Cast iron shouldn't stick, sous vide or not. Make sure you take care of them properly (IE don't wash with dish soap) and use a little bit of oil when cooking.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Okay, now I "get" what the point of the searzall is. Pretty cool!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah I did the turchetta as well. The 2-day cure for the turchetta on seriouseats really helped the turkey retain its moisture while cooking. An uncured turkey breast gave up a ton of bag juice while the turchetta gave up barely any at all. If nothing else I would probably dry-cure again, but I don't know if I would go to as much trouble as a full turchetta.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Midniter posted:

Tracking it, it still says that the label has been created, but there are no further shipment updates. Did this happen with anyone else?

I'm in the same position you are. Sit tight. We waited this long so far.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Midniter posted:

I finally received my shipping notification!

On Monday.

Tracking it, it still says that the label has been created, but there are no further shipment updates.

You might want to check the tracking number again. The status on mine changed today.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Make sure you chill it before broiling. I made the mistake of taking my turkey thighs straight from bath to fryer, and it dried out the meat.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mons Hubris posted:

I made some sous vide dulce de leche for Christmas gifts, spread a little of the leftover on some panettone this morning and it was awesome. It's so easy.

Did you bother with sterilizing jars or just puddle-in-can?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mons Hubris posted:

I sterilized the jars first, but honestly I probably wouldn't have bothered if I weren't giving them away.

I want to try leaving them in-can, but the one time I've tried it so far was the whole sterilizing dance.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
yeah you don't want a transformer going 240v down to 110v that's capable of transforming ohhh 1000w of power.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Chinese yanagiba? on beef?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Woof! Woof! posted:

It's a sujihiki - which isn't a single edge blade
It was made in Sakai

Ah nice - it was the sleeve that was making me doubletake

Woof! Woof! posted:

It doesn't, particularly.

Nope. Just curiosity.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

What veg is worth sous viding? I did the serious eats carrots but I don't see any benefit over just doing them in a pan in butter anyway considering that I still have to clean a pan after

I really want to give carmelizing onions a shot since every time I try doing it myself (quickly) I burn it, or if I try the low temp method it takes hours which sitting on an open stove... nope...

There's also garlic confit, which is a good sous vide prep, but it's a lot of garlic for a 2wk shelf life.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Drive By posted:

Thanks a lot for posting our thing on the forums, Captain. I think I got my start sous-vizzling here in GWS a bunch of time ago, and if it weren't for this place, I don't know what I'd be doing with my life.

How's progress on the recipe for upside-down dogcake?

Will Mellow be available in non-white colors? Might I suggest a nice shade of canary, or egg yolk?

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 16, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
They sucked the air out of an ice cream cone. MONSTERS

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

G-Prime posted:

Probably not safe. If you didn't ice bath it, the time to get out of bacteria growth temps is huge. I'd toss it.

24hrs @ 133 should be effectively pasteurized though, right? Refrigeration right afterward isn't as fast as an ice bath but it should be adequately fast enough to chill and store a multi-day cook as long as they didn't let the meat cool into the danger zone during the (short) power outage.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

drukqs posted:

oookay yeah... I feel very sorry for anybody who is still ziploc'ing and who missed out on the meh.com vac sealer... Seriously SO much better. Had no idea how much time I was wasting burping ziplocs.

Will definitely have to get a nicer one when this one eventually explodes.

I only use ziplocs for the easier, short cooks. Foodsaver's for everything else, long cooks, higher temp etc.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

drukqs posted:

Nah it is older wiring for sure, not GFCI but... It turns out my Troglodyte brother unplugged it so he could run his blender...
What a waste :(

Maybe consider throwing out the blender? Then he won't have that excuse ;)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

burnsep posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a store that stocks Sansaire or Anova in San Francisco, CA. I'm only going to be there Friday through Sunday afternoon and want a sous vide quick- what can you recommend and what's a good place to get a deal?

A deal? You're almost better off just ordering <whatever> from Amazon and having it drop shipped to wherever you're staying. I don't know of any brick & mortar stores that sell Anova's immersion cookers, and Sur la Table isn't going to give you a "deal" on a Sansaire.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Choadmaster posted:

A friend and I made a practice turchetta yesterday that was goddamn amazing. We followed the serious eats instructions except we used my friend's usual thanksgiving turkey seasoning mix (salt, pepper, allspice, candied ginger, an apple slice, onion, cinnamon, rosemary, and sage) to make the paste, and we went with 145 degrees instead of 140.

I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking to do something interesting for thanksgiving.

My only complaint about turchetta is running out of skin to make a second one. All the turkeys I've bought had enough skin for one breast + tenderloin to roll.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Made turchetta last night. It was sublime. I don't think I'll ever roast a turkey whole ever again.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Lux Aeterna posted:

is there any reason to upgrade an anova one? my wife bought me one when they first came out and i've had 0 issues doing a cook every week or so. i don't give a gently caress about bluetooth or wifi heating notifications if that helps

Nope. I use both of mine interchangeably.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

dalstrs posted:

How come this doesn't happen in auto parts?

Auto parts that get wet tend not to be fine electronic PCBs. The conformal coating used on PCBs for an immersion cooker would act like an insulator unless you put an additional external heatsink on the chip, which wouldn't get any airflow since it's inside the unit. One strategy that kitchen appliances use for their heat exchange is to mount the heat source on the inside of the metal housing, and then seal that compartment from moisture/air... That wouldn't work so great for a heating device that sits over a pot of hot water. I'm sure cost played a big factor in their design choices though.

Personally I have two Anovas that I use ~1-2 times per week and they're both running strong.

I'm still wondering what happened to the goon-related Mellow that was supposed to come out mid-this-year

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Captain Bravo posted:

The mellow comes out mid-2016, not mid-2015

Yeah, I'm thinking that new release date is a slip from the original plans but I could be wrong. Then again pretty much every kickstarter ever has been late.

http://www.cnet.com/products/fnv-labs-mellow/

quote:

This will be an expensive small appliance when it first hits retail. FNV Labs says Mellow will sell for $500 when it goes to larger distribution. It hasn't worked out the timing, nor the retailers for its wide availability yet, although a discounted $400 version is available for pre-order today by way of a limited production run set to ship in 2015 (a clever promotion that gives you a $20 discount for every referral that also places an order could see a few people get a unit for free).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Searzall's email autoreply says they'll be back in stock "the second week of January".

Jan 2015???? They didn't say.