Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

~16 hour prime rib at 130f finished on the grill. Unbelievable and makes a killer bag jus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Another one in the 10 hours at 180F column. Costco prepackaged and brined dumped in the seasoning packet, sealed and puddled. Took every ounce of self control to not eat the whole thing when I tasted it last night.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Epiphyte posted:

So I've had my ANOVA for a year or so now and have had success making just about everything I've thrown at it, but I feel like my sear game is lacking.

I see all these pictures of beautiful medium rare steaks with paper thin mallaird crusts that I just can't seem to produce. My steaks always have a good 3-4 mm or so of brown under the crust.

I've got a cast iron pan and a grill I can use to get it rocket hot, now I just need to learn how to apply them for optimal results.

I've gotten the best results from either a chimney starter and grill grate, or a cast iron pan pre-heated in the oven to 500F for 15-20 minutes or so. It also helps to make sure that the exterior of the steaks are as dry as possible. I also have better luck with fattier cuts like ribeyes than I do with leaner ones.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

kynikos posted:

I just picked up an Iwatani butane torch for searing but then discovered I can't have the fuel canisters shipped to me due to yet another bullshit California law that I can't keep up with. Anyone know where to source them? Japanese grocery stores perhaps?

If you have a Mitsuwa nearby they should have them, also [Super] H Mart. You can also likely find them at WalMart (probably in the camping section) and other outdoor/sporting goods stores. They're used for lots of camp stoves and single burner stoves so they are pretty prevalent

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Hopper posted:

I was invited to help a hunter I know with dressing(?) a deer he shot and got to take home several pieces of amazing deer meat. Does anyone have a resource or recommendation for times and temperature for puddling venison?

Treat it same as you would filet or a tenderloin. Venison is very, very lean so definitely don't overcook it especially if it's backstrap. I do 122F to 135F max for an hour or three depending on thickness then a quick sear in a ripping hot pan if I'm doing backstrap or tenderloins.

While not specifically sous-vide, if you're looking for other venison recipes check out https://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Trichinosis isn't a thing with commercial pork. There's maybe a couple of dozen cases a year in the US and it uniformly comes from wild game.

Specifically it's primarily black bears, but also feral hogs, mountain lions and brown bears (where you can hunt them) that will be the main source of trichinosis from wild game.