Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I used to just boil chicken in stock to make chicken salad, but now that I got an Anova, I'm thinking of using that with my food saver (which I already had). Googling temps and times seems to have a debate on the this specifically for chicken salad with some people saying use 140, 145, or 150 at any where from 1-4 hours to it don't matter, as long as you want. Just looking for some advice.

Also, should I put anything in the bad to add to flavor, or does that not really matter either? I usually whip up some mayo with avocado oil (tastes sooo good). and mix the chicken with some green onions and almonds. This is for a week of lunches for two people so I usually use 3 lbs of chicken.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm finding this thing is pretty cool. I just made this :

http://paleomg.com/pineapple-caribbean-jerk-filet-mignon/

and being absolutely retarded in the kitchen, it came out so awesome, I'm buying tons of steaks to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Ultimate Mango posted:

It's funny that he recommends 150 for chicken salad because I could swear he used 140 for just regular chicken. I usually set the vizzler at 142F and go 2-4 hours.

Yeah, that's why I asked, I got a whole range of temps. It seems people like to go a bit higher when the application of the chicken is cold (for sandwiches or salad), as opposed to hot. I'm thinking it's a texture thing?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
What's a good big steak that's reasonably priced that really works well in this? I end up getting whatever looks good, but I have trouble understanding the 1000s of different cuts and types of meat available and I end up just asking the butcher what's good.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

MasterFugu posted:

for pork, yah.

Try 144. 154 is a bit high.

I usually go here, they have not hosed me yet.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 4, 2015

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was cooking some steak at 133 for a couple of days, and my power went out last night. I didn't know what to do, so I threw the still sealed meat immediately in the fridge. Is it safe to reheat and sear, or should I just throw it out? The power turned back on like an hour later.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
OK, I'll play it safe, and remember to do ice bath next time.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I grabbed a foodsaver at BJs when it was on sale for like 65$ and it came with a ton of poo poo. I highly recommend it if it gets cheap, I use it all the time

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I only get the "steak funk" when cooking the grass fed beef I buy directly from the CSA. Store bought stuff never has it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This may be old news, but I just tried this last night:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/12410947238/sous-vide-scrambled-eggs

and it came out perfectly. It was kind of fun to mess with different mixes to get the eggs to be different.

Replaced the butter with a dolop of cream cheese and it was like silky.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I did my turkey this year this way (whole turkey method). Came out very well, but the temp of 150 I think might have been a little high. I was afraid since my container was just barely big enough to accommodate the turkey (it was pressed up against the wall tight which made me fear for water circulation). No one died, so I'm marking that as a success.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

dy. posted:

This really makes me wonder how much BPA I've ingested via sous vide cooks.

Always Ziplock (when I'm too lazy to use the food saver)

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

I've done every one of those things. Also done (not shown), missing the pan completely and having it roll right under the heating element.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Kenji ruined it for everyone. When you are at a resolution/precision of 0.5 in temps, sou vide becomes the hammer to every nail.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
OTOH using SV to make caramel sauce is like 100 times easier.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I did a whole turkey for Thanksgiving (put the whole turkey in a bag, 24 hours), and I will never not do it that way again. Was like the easiest thing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I use the BT controls because I put black electrical tape over the temp wheel to keep the blinding blue light from blasting in my eyes at night. I've never had it shut off due to being out of range, but I also never set timers, so I'm unsure what the behavior with a timer on the phone would be.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have a (large number) dollar rice cooker that I bought like 10 years ago that I still use because it is so forgiving to the point of being silly. It makes the same quality rice no matter how much water I put into it or how long I leave it for (I've used extended warm for almost a week at sometimes with no ill effects). The IP is much more finicky, and I'm sure it would make perfect rice if you took the time to do it, but naaahhhhh.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, with leaving it on while I leave, I always worry that it will cut off and then come back on without me knowing it and I kill everyone with bad food. It's like a 0.00001% worry though.

I don't know if it's just my Anova, but in the last power outage I had when running, it shut off for five minutes, and then when the power turned on it turned back on and went right up to the set temp. That might be the Bluetooth link or something.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The one thing I don't like about my old Anova that I don't know if it changed is the wheel to change the temperature glows with a bright blue light that I actually tapped over so it's not lighting up the house on overnight cooks.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
LOL that gave me flashbacks to making ginger beer and blowing up most of my glass bottles because I'm a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Why not use jars? I've been using them for everything? They are cheap as gently caress.