Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Steve Yun posted:

Go download the Sous Vide Dash app, plugin the meat and numbers info and see for yourself

Is this an Android app? I can't find it unless it has a different name.

I just ordered this one from Amazon so I want to get things ready ahead.

Also what's the best site for recipes?

Anyone have any "appetizer/snack" type thing I can make in under 24 hours? It's supposed to arrive Friday and I have a NYE party to attend this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Ciaphas posted:

I don't have a Costco near (enough) to me, but there is a Sam's Club. Problem is I heard they're just Walmart with larger quantities, do they even have a butcher area?

Sam's club does have a butcher area and has really great meats.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I got my Gourmia unit. I want to make a steak and have one from sams club that is about 3/4" thick. Not sure what type it is as I buy them then individually bag and freeze. I am thawing it now. How long and at what temp should I cook for? I am seeing everything from 2 hours to 24 hours. I would prefer 4 hours or less so I can have it for dinner.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Has anyone made Sea Scallops? I assume they will work and just need a quick sear after. I bought a big bag of them at Sam's Club last week and was thinking that would be my next cook.

Any recipes?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made Sous Vide Pork Belly but my Foodsaver bag ruptured in the last couple hours and the bag was full of water. Can I save this? Or is it going to be ruined?

Edit: It seemed to be fine after crisping under the broiler for a few minutes. Though I don't really have anything to compare it too. Biggest thing was I lost the juices to make a sauce with so I used some store bought teriyaki that I had on hand.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 9, 2017

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Chemmy posted:

Looks rectangular to me.

I thought he did a sous vide Spam loaf at first...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Steve Yun posted:

A searzall has its place, but not as your primary seating tool.

Are you patting your steaks dry first before putting them in the cast iron skillet?

How long are you searing per side?

Pat them dry and also put a weight, not too heavy, on them to press them to the pan. I just use my kettle because it is on the stove already and it is the perfect size for the pan I use to sear steaks. 30 seconds or so gets a nice sear.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
What is a good but somewhat simple dessert style recipe that I can do in a few hours?

I have friends coming over tomorrow night. We will be having pizza and snacks mainly but I want to show off my vizzler and thought a great way to do that is to make something for dessert. Or maybe some side type dish that goes with pizza. Technically I will have about 24 hours to make it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

I don't have a torch and don't really want to go buy one just for this. Any easy way to achieve that part?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Ok maybe I'll stop by Harbor Freight on the way home. Has anyone made these in bigger jars? I think I have some 8oz Jelly Jars. Would I have to change anything if I filled the jars more than he does on that site? He is using tiny jars and the bigger jars would look pretty empty.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
So I made a LOT of Creme Brule and made a couple batches of Lemon Curd too. Gave a few jars to guests to take home and still have a few of each here. But I have like 4 dozen eggs worth of egg whites now. I am thinking of making the Starbuck egg bites. Should I change anything in the recipe since I am only using the whites? Will it really matter to not have the yolks?

What else can I make with the whites?

Oh yeah the Lemon Curd recipe here is the one I used and it turned out great. Tart and sweet and very addictive. Luckily I did the curd in "jelly jars" that are smaller.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 12, 2017

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I ended up getting a torch and just doing it that way. My brulee came out great but I think the Lemon Curd I made at the same time was WAY better. But then I like lemon.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

sterster posted:

Here is the short hand for the recipe.

83C @1hr
6 yolks
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of kosher salt
In a bowl whisk egg yolk, sugar & salt until smooth and then whisk in the cream and add vanilla.

Cook for 1 hour. Remove bag when done & shake to redistribute. Evenly divide among 4oz ramekins. Tap each against the counter to smooth out and remove air bubbles. Chill for at least 3 hours.

Do the sugar & fire part.

I used this recipe which others in the thread recommended. It worked great.

I have noticed the few jars that weren't eaten right away started to get a little liquefied in the fridge. I am not sure if that is from the sugar crackle on the top breaking down or the creme breaking down.

I like the way the glass jars worked too except one of them I had the top too loose and it got water in it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

toplitzin posted:

Why is Kenji not only salty AF but he seems to have been moving his long cook times higher on the temp for all of his SV/BBQ Combo jobs.

Ex: His SV BBQ Chuck is at 155 for 36 hours. Just about everyone else calls it 24h@131-135 (Baldwin and Anova).
The brisket i did previously came out dry as hell and it was at 135 for 72h.

Comments on the chuck recipe seem to get some dry results as well.

I'm going to drop my chuck roast in the bath in about an hour, so now would be the time to drop the temp down.

Every one of his recipes that I have tried I thought was over rated. Nothing has really been a must have again. Not sure why all the hype over this guy as he seems to be no better than any other. Yeah he does the science thing but Alton Brown does it better.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I sometimes take cold showers and drink cold water am I going to die?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

I want to marry that girl...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sextro posted:

I don't have access or connections to a CNC machine, but I'm ready to Google or whatever I need to to get one of these without paying baking steel prices.

Check if there is a High School or College around with a CNC machine. They will most likely do it for you especially if you provide the programming and the materials. Otherwise if you are in or near a larger city there may be a "maker's group" or that type of thing where they have a bunch of machines that anyone can use for a fee.

These are a couple local ones in the Grand Rapids, MI area.

https://www.grmakers.com/

http://thegeekgroup.org/

Now for my own question. Has anyone done Lobster or Crab in a sous vide? I assume it would work well and you should be able to get the perfect cook due to being able to maintain a constant set temp.

I was thinking about picking up a couple of frozen lobster tails from Sam's Club to test it out but they are expensive so I am hesitant.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Randyslawterhouse posted:

I did lobster and steak just the other weekend (it was my birthday) and it was great!

I did this kenji recipe at 130 and it came out really well. I used frozen Maine lobster tails and they weren't too much hassle. A lot easier than pulling apart a whole lobster.
Made a bearnaise sauce, but only really because of the steak. Clarified butter would be good instead.

In short - do it!

Did you still pull the frozen lobster meat out of the shell? Or did it work ok in the shell?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Crosspostin'

Woot has an immersion circulator on sale today.

The bad news is I've never heard of the brand. The good new is it's $69 shipped. Nice.

http://www.woot.com/category/home?ref=w_gh_hm_2

Woot page posted:

Sous Vide is a magical process where you submerge food in water. BUT WAIT! Between the food and the water is a SEALED BAG! Somehow this mix of heat and steam takes decent food and makes it glorious. How does it work? SCIENCE! What does that mean? WHO CARES? As long as the food's tasty, that's all that really matters.

Is that too long for a thread title?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made Lobster last night at 130 for about 1 1/2 hours. Came out good but was in for an extra 1/2 hour because I made clarified butter and made a HUGE mess and had to clean the floor and counter.

Protip: let boiling butter cool before you decide to pour it into a jelly jar...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

bonds0097 posted:

That seems like an insane amount of time. I like traditional texture of lobster so I do (unshelled) 15-20 minutes at 140F, sometimes in a beurre montée (French laundry style). I've done it closer to 130 but find it a bit gelatinous still.

Yeah this was my first time and I was following a couple site's recommendations. I think I will go with a higher temp next time also. How much does time really affect it though if you are holding it at the same temp? Mine was unshelled also.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

uPen posted:

Your stove can get water to 130+ in minutes.

Stove? I threw that out after getting my Smoker, Sous Vide and Instant Pot...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

toplitzin posted:

Guys, real chefs shouldn't use sous vide!

https://rubbisheatrubbishgrow.com/2017/04/30/why-chefs-of-any-self-worth-should-stop-sous-vide-ing-their-food/

The comments are pretty drat glorious. Almost universal in their making GBS threads on him. "I ate at 1500 restaurants and read memoirs, I KNOW what a real professional kitchen life is like!"

I wish I was friends with TK, just so I could share watch his reaction/reply.

Who are you? Hitler?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made that Salmon Mi-Cuit and oh my god is it awesome. If you make it don't pass on the part where it says to refrigerate for 6+ hours after. It really does get better the longer it sits. I have the other half of the salmon filet I bought in some brine to go in the smoker tonight but am debating if I just make more Mi-Cuit instead...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I don't really know how to describe it. It was almost buttery and smooth but still had texture. Not quite as firm as sashimi but not jelly-like raw either.

I just ate some alone last night like I would a cooked salmon filet but that was more out of time constraint. I had some at lunch at work today with some warm long grain rice and then the cold salmon. The temp difference between he two was nice. Not sure how I will use the rest of it.

Just make a small piece to try if you are worried about it. It takes 45 minutes to brine and 1 hour in the puddle. Then 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator to set up fully.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

teacup posted:

We bought some lobster tails that we are looking forward to sous vide - ing! Most recipes are basically "shitload of butter and some tarragon also" what other recipes or hints and tips does anyone have?

Cut the meat from the shells. Otherwise as far as seasoning and butter just use whatever you would when doing them non-sv. I did y last ones with just a couple pats of butter in the bags and then made some garlic/lemon butter to dip in. SV lobster is awesome.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Knifegrab posted:

I have been doing a lot of "big" cooks for friends and family and boy I am getting really tired of grinding pepper and sea salt but I do feel like freshly ground rules. Does anyone have any recommendations for grinders or something that make it easy to output a lot of ground pepper/seasalt quickly?

I have an electric coffee burr grinder that I use exclusively (this is important) for spices. They are cheap on amazon and you do not need a fancy one. Thrown your peppercorns or whatever in, pulse for coarser grind or hold it down to get a fine powder.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

BrianBoitano posted:

Do you mean a blade grinder? Burr grinders aren't the cheap ones and they select your grind level based on a dial, not on how long you pulse them.

Yes, blade not burr. Just a cheap one from Amazon.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
What's the best to clean off hard water scum from my SV? 1/2 White Vinegar and 1/2 water? Then run at 140 for a couple hours?

Or does someone have something better?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Are there any deals going on SV rigs right now? Mine is dying I think. I want to get another before it does as I am using it a lot lately.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
What's the good SV rig to buy right now? Anova? ChefSteps? Something else?

I don't really need wifi/bluetooth. My Gormia is dying I think so I want to get a new one before it does. I don't want a "mini" either as I use a big container a lot.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have a good silicone mold for doing Egg Bites Sous Vide? I don't really want to use glass containers but everything I see is for InstaPot, which I have but I want to use my SV rig.

Or has anyone tried something like this? https://sousvideguy.com/easy-sous-vide-egg-bites-recipe-no-need-jars/

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I did them in jars back when they were the hot thing in the thread here. I can do jars but I was hoping there were good molds so I don't have to risk using glass in my Cambro in case one explodes. I don't really want glass shards or even food gunk in my new $400 Anova.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made my egg bites but I didn't have really small jars. I just had "jelly jar" size ones so I made BIG egg bites. Think I will find some smaller jars before I do them again as all the bacon and chives and stuff fell to the bottom of the jars during the cook.

Though I did blend the eggs, cheese and salt in the food processor which seemed to make them more airy and light. I will use the actual blender next time though because it has a pour spout and the food pro doesn't.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

kynikos posted:

Thanks all! I have a Mitsuwa and H Mart near eachother so I'll check them out. Anyone have butane searing tips?

Test it on your finger first to make sure its hot enough to sear your steak. :)

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Got a recipe for puddled pork belly? I usually smoke it in my smoker but its cold out so might have to try it in the puddler.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Hasselblad posted:

People stop using their smokers during the winter? The only thing that slows me down in that department is the wife complaining about too frequent smoked entrees.

:sever:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Zarin posted:

I'll have to see if we keep rosemary on hand.

If you don't, you should start growing some. It's great, especially in potatoes. And it keeps coming back every year. Plant it in a corner of the yard or a little pot somewhere and always have fresh on hand!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Zarin posted:

Hmm, I just cut down the massive Ash tree in our back yard that died to bugs last October; previously, I had nowhere that got enough sun to consider a garden. I tried to talk the wife into a small raised garden this year, but she wasn't interested; I wonder if suggesting herbs might intrigue her more, since I suspect they require a bit less maintenance than vegetables. Although now that I appear to be living in a brave new world of working from home, I suppose I could just tend to it myself now . . .

Do a few herbs. Chives, Sage, Rosemary and a bunch of other common herbs come back every year so buy a small plant for a couple bucks and reap the rewards for years to come.

Careful with some though as they tend to take over wherever they are so some things you will want to keep in planters to keep them from spreading. (mint, sage and others).

Also be aware of things like Cilantro. Cilantro is great but when the plant seeds it starts producing Corriander (also great) but then STOPS producing Cilantro. The leaves dry up and fall off and you only get the Corriander seeds then. So if you want it to stay Cilantro you need to be aggressive with plucking the buds so it doesn't seed when it gets to that point.

Other than a few things like that though an herb garden is not much work like a veggie garden can be. And the difference it makes to grab a handful of fresh herb to throw in whatever you are cooking is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

bird with big dick posted:

Never did pork belly sous vide before. Used Kenji's recipe, turned out pretty great. Definitely need to get something better than using the biggest stock pot I have though, had to add a lot of water and keeping the two vacuum sealed packs submerged was a challenge.

Get a cambro with a lid or anything with a lid it will help keep the water from evaporating. Any restaurant store should have them. Costco was even selling one recently.