Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
What would happen if I were to set a steak or piece of chicken (lets just say ribeye/chicken breast) in the puddle machine for 10 hours (at their respective temperatures for mid-rare / cooked for the chicken)?

Would it break down and become a mushy mess? Would it be just like I was cooking it for 2 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

deimos posted:

10 hours is probably fine, but you don't want to try to do rare on a steak for that long, so stick to at least 132°F, if not slightly higher.

Also if you're going to be doing a long cook at medium rare temperatures I'd pre-sear or blanch the bag if it's boil-safe (5-10 seconds should be more than enough), it's the easiest way to make sure you have bacteria under control on the surface.

Going much longer than 10-12 hours on a good cut of meat is going to start breaking muscle down and will make it taste very off.

That being said, if you have 10-12 hours, just shove chuck steak (cheap poo poo) on a bag in there and it will taste succulent coming out.

That was my biggest worry. I usually eat around 6/630pm so I don't have 2 hours after work to sous vide something. But if I can either let it run while I'm at work, or (as I've seen others suggest) cook it the day before and just reheat/sear that day, I'm good.

Ordering now.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

YEAH DOG posted:

I do chicken 12-24 hours sometimes when I forget about it. It tastes a little more like boiled chicken, but still very juicy. You'll always want to do beef over 130F if you're going to cook it over an hour. The tougher/leaner the cut, the longer you'll want to cook. Short ribs are great somewhere between 48 and 72 hours. A brisket can be perfect in 24-48. Tri-tip doesn't suffer from 12-24. But if you have a steak cut, 45 minutes to however long pasteurization takes is preferable. Even for long cook times, you don't really end up with a "falling apart" end product because of the higher moisture content left in the meat. So you won't get that dry shredded brisket, just a nicely done slice of brisket that is fork-tender.

Fish is an easy one to do after work, since nearly all but the thickest of the thick cuts of fish take about 20 minutes.

Wait until you get some good pork ribs in there. Mmmmmm.

Awesome. Awesome to the Max.

Just ordered the Anova. Gonna run by one of the restaurant supply places around here and grab a decent sized bin and find some ping pong balls somewhere else. One last question before I actually get it... Do you even have to change out the water in the tub/pot?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

All I need now is a container.

Any suggestions? I plan on not leaving it on the counter ALL of the time, so it doesn't have to look pretty.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I'm using the 8in ~27QT guy for mine. Lots to move around and I'll probably find something smaller for smaller cooks.

My stuff
Pretty

HOT

First cook - Chicken thighs (Michael Voltaggio recipe)

Finished on a bed of sauteed squash and zucchini

Tonight's dinner - 18(20)hour Flank Steak - seasoned with salt, red pepper, bacon fat

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I did a 72 hour thing. Boneless short ribs with a bit of oil, habanero hot sauce, salt, and pepper seared off on super high cast iron. Served with sauteed spinach and a pan sauce (drippings from the bag + butter, wine, S&P).

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

NoDamage posted:

Holy crap short ribs at 140F for 48 hours are absolutely amazing. I only salt + peppered them before putting them in. After 48 hours I took them out, cut them from the bone and seared in a cast iron skillet, and used the juices to make a sauce.

They came out unbelievably tender, and not dry at all like you might get with a traditional braise. This is definitely my favorite sous vide application so far.

I think that's close to all I've done with my Anova. I love short ribs. I've been doing them at 144 or 142F for 72 hours.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I have cooked some steaks at like 135F for the recommended time. However, I wasn't able to eat them when they were done so I ice bath'd them and threw them in the fridge.

How long will they stay good? I want to eat them but I don't want to die either.

When I put them in their ice bath, I threw the bowl they were in into the fridge so I think time spent above 40F was minimal.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Should be good for at least a week. I think Doug Baldwin's site has guidelines for storage time.

Thanks. I had one of the steaks yesterday and am going to have another one today. Super tender. I'll take pictures of the one today as it's a 2" thick ribeye :)

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

135F Ribeye (one of the steaks I asked about above). Was cooked then iced then reheated and it turned out great. So tender.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Senior Funkenstien posted:

How did that turn out? I love rare ribeye but there seems to be a lot of connective tissue to make it hard to eat. Did that dissolve on your steak?

It turned out great. All of the fat and connective tissue had broken down somewhat. I usually go medium to medium rare on a ribeye due to the same issue.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Amazon has http://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-MAXVAC-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B009SJBOVI on their gold box deals today at 11am central.

I don't know how good of a vacsealer it is, but it has some great reviews. Just a heads up.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Did a 132F bone-in ribeye yesterday. I think I would prefer it a little longer (cooked about 2 hours) or maybe a few degrees higher.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

dotster posted:

Was it not tender enough? It looks pretty good.

It was tender, but I did one (not bone-in) a few weeks ago at 136F I believe for 2 hrs and it was butter in steak form. Everything that needed to break down, did. And the things that didn't, didn't.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I've done a ~2" ribeye 3 times now. First time was at 135 for 2 hours, second was 132 for 2 hours and third was 135 again for 2 hours. It just seems that more of the fat breaks down better at 135.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Just an FYI. Costco usually has the top of the line food saver for around 150$ but also usually has a cheaper model for closer to 30-40$.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Random Hero posted:

I'm just using a normal pot right now for my Anova but I'm looking to get a better container. Is this the best option: http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189CW135-Polycarbonate-Camwear-1-75-Gallon/dp/B002NQB63E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

One review says the Anova doesn't fit great with it because of the shape of the side and the Anova screw while another review says it does in fact work well. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks.

Look for the 18CW model - 18CW 8" 27 qt. 12 3/4" x 20 7/8"

They sell it at Williams-Sonoma for 20$. The lip isn't an issue on this one and I believe the smaller versions have the same lip.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Five Spice posted:

Got the Anova a few weeks ago and finally decided to whip it out yesterday.

Attempting a 24+ hour chuck roast.

I did have a question, as a complete sous vide newbie:

If my vacuum sealed pouch touches the Anova stick while it is in use, is there any risk of melting or other undesired effects? It doesn't seem like it's hot enough to cause any damage, but I'd really love to know for sure. The first time I ran it at 130 F, but what about higher temperatures? Any danger there? I'm worried. :ohdear:

I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I haven't noticed anything when I've had bags or eggs against the device.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I usually do my ribeyes at 132F for between 1.5 and 2 hours. It all depends on the thickness though. I did do a sirloin at 130 for an hour last night and it was perfect.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

A local "Ethnic" grocery store near me has beef cheeks for an incredible price. What can I do with them SV?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

No Wave posted:

Clean them (cut off the gross parts), season them, optionally sear them on one side, 72 hours at 144 degrees, done

They're by *far* the best thing I've made with a long Sous Vide cook time. Don't know why short ribs became "the thing" while these are around.

Same preparation as short ribs as far as after vizzling? Season, sear, reduce bag juices into sauce and serve over something?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

No Wave posted:

Basically yeah but all my vizzle sauces always suck (clumpy, weird). Vizzled 72 hour beef has so much flavor that it's best with something that creates a flavor contrast - so something acidic. A lemony celery root puree is my go-to.

I do a lot of cauliflower purees so I was thinking of making one and squeezing out a good bit of the liquid and trying to fry it up like a piece of polenta.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I got some boneless short ribs going right now. Probably going to do 48h with those but I also have a piece of eye of round that I want to turn into a deli style roast beef type thing.

I'm thinking 24h at 132F then chilling, seasoning heavily, searing, then chilling again and slicing on the hobart? Anyone done something like that?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Hed posted:

The PlastiChat 2014 talk in the last page reminded me that Costco got back to me regarding their frozen chicken breasts:

What does this mean? If you are :effort: like me on Sundays you can plunk a bunch of already individually-wrapped, already-enhanced/salted Kirkland Signature Frozen BSCB into your puddler at 140 for 3 hours or so. Then remove, sear, season and box up for lunches during the week. :buddy:

Are these the ones that come two in a pack with the total package being 6 packs? Or is this a different one?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I had my Cambro going (with a poorly cut lid) for about 4 days total at 134F and only lost a small amount of water. It was pretty nice.

I'm currently trying the roast beef I posted about trying earlier. I've got a eye of round piece in at 134F and will take that out after 24 hours. I'm going to chill it really well (ice bath then fridge) and then sear it really well. Chill it again and then slice thinly for sandwiches.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Plinkey posted:

I actually wanted to ask about this eventually. Are you going free style or did you follow a recipe.

Just doing it freestyle. Probably salt, pepper, gran/powdered garlic and onion, maybe something else. Seared and then sliced thin on the slicer. Hopefully it will be good. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Plinkey posted:

I actually wanted to ask about this eventually. Are you going free style or did you follow a recipe.
I did 134F for about 24 hours. It went a little over because I had a few drinks. I did salt, pepper, powdered onion and garlic. Seared then stuck in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

Then sliced on the Hobart.

Tastes pretty drat good and is really tender. I've got to eat a bunch of chicken wings today but I'm going to make a sandwich tomorrow heated with some Swiss and a bit of horseradish.