Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i'm still somewhat new to sous vide and i'm finding that with some frequency, i follow the timing and temp instructions to the letter, but when i remove the meat (or whatever) it has not actually reached the target temperature all the way through. I've been under the impression that reaching that temp is pretty crucial since that's how you ensure safety and consistent results. Is this a common problem, or not a problem at all, or what? Do I just need to make a better effort to ensure that the bagged food doesn't touch the sides of the pot?

e: i have an Anova fwiw

emdash fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
no, not recently. I'll check on it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

theres a will theres moe posted:

Are you cooking from frozen? Are you letting it come up to temp before you start your timer?

No and yes respectively

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
one of my thermopops ended up being a degree low in boiling water, so that at least explains a slight discrepancy

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i did 140 for 36 hours with that exact thing (2lb chuck roast) and it was absurdly good

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Looks good as hell

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jerome Louis posted:

Did some chuck cut into steaks @ 135 for 48 hours and they turned out disgusting with a weird plastic-like nasty aroma. Ended up tossing them. Is it pretty much well known you shouldn't sous vide at that low of a temp for extended periods of time? Or did I mess something up somewhere. I've done them before for 24 hours and they turned out good.

what bags did you use

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I was almost positive they were burritos

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I don't have any advice for you but I love the "soups vide" autocorrect

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

VERTiG0 posted:

Update: unbelievably tender and delicious. I blasted it in a 500 F oven for 15 minutes to crisp up the outside after it was done puddling. Not too salty either, I was expecting a total salt overload.

Paired it with Kenji's super crispy roasted potatoes and the wife and I crushed it.

is there a recipe for the roll itself? sounds like something i'd like

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
that makes three people saying they're doing that porchetta. all of you better post pics! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I have the lipavi one and it’s nice, but that everie one looks better tbh