Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Any thoughts on the dorkfood sous vide device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Anyone know of a good pulled pork type recipe for sous vide?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
So I did a blade steak at 134F for 24 hours, and it was kind of dry and I noticed there was a lot of liquid in the bag. Did I do something wrong?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

You should probably not do any steaks more than a couple hours. The temp would have been fine, but over the course of 24 hours the muscle proteins kept tightening and squeezed all the moisture out, creating the paradoxically dry texture.

Extra-long cook times should only be for things like oxtail or shortribs

I read somewhere that blade steaks should be cooked longer because the meat is usually tougher?

e: Douglas Baldwin,

quote:

For tough but flavorful cuts of beef–such as top blade, chuck, and top round–season the meat and cook in a 131°F (55°C) water bath for 24–48 hours. This is the lowest temperature at which (insoluble) collagen denatures (dissolves) into gelatin, at higher temperatures the denaturing occurs more quickly (Powell et al., 2000; This, 2006).

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Random Hero posted:

I did a flank steak for 24 hours and it turned out amazing.

How much liquid did you end up with in your bag?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
How much liquid do you guys typically have in your bags after your done? I always feel like I end up with a lot.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

The liquid is also pure gold. It often has a delicious taste and usually just needs a hit of something acidic to balance it out. Try adding a dash of lemon juice to the liquid and giving it a taste. Add salt if needed. You may also need to separate out the fat.

What's the best way to go about separating the fat/protein?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Which model of the Anova is the best to buy? I don't care about the $20 price difference.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
So, can anyone tell me how to use the sous vide drippings to make a sauce? There's so much gunk in it when I toss it in a pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I'm gonna buy an Anova, i've heard problems about the new one. Which one should I buy?